I thought there were laws aganist this......................

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Does this annoy you?
Yes, a lot 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Yes, a lot 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Yes 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Yes 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Yes, Mildy 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Yes, Mildy 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Huh? Did I notice what? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Huh? Did I notice what? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yep but feel it can't be helped. 'reasonable discrimanation and that' 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Yep but feel it can't be helped. 'reasonable discrimanation and that' 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
No, not at all. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
No, not at all. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Why would it annoy me? 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Why would it annoy me? 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
The only person that would find it annoying would be ,<insert language more suited to the mature forum here> 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
The only person that would find it annoying would be ,<insert language more suited to the mature forum here> 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Not answering 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Not answering 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 38

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2006, 2:51 pm

So for BCS (business communcation studies, a subject I have to do at school) I had to look at these job advertisements, they all required 'great interpersonal skills' or some such. HELLO, WHAT ABOUT US ASPIES??????????? I thought there were anti-discrimination laws?

Or is that just me?

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2006, 3:09 pm

Good question.

Should it be considered discrimination that I'd be rejected for a job in a high-wire act simply because I kept falling off? Another bit of my Aspieness...

Or would it be a reasonable conclusion that I should seek jobs in areas where my skills carry a positive advantage?

If there is anything in job advertisments and interviews, the employer is still allowed to choose the most suitable candidate for the position, but must not discriminate against someone who could still do the job whatever their condition. It's the question as to whether the job could be done as well* that will determine whether this is selection or discrimination. No blind formula 1 drivers yet...

*"with reasonable adaptation" may also be a legal consideration in the UK

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2006, 3:13 pm

Emettman wrote:
Good question.

Should it be considered discrimination that I'd be rejected for a job in a high-wire act simply because I kept falling off? Another bit of my Aspieness...

Or would it be a reasonable conclusion that I should seek jobs in areas where my skills carry a positive advantage?

If there is anything in job advertisments and interviews, the employer is still allowed to choose the most suitable candidate for the position, but must not discriminate against someone who could still do the job whatever their condition. It's the question as to whether the job could be done as well* that will determine whether this is selection or discrimination. No blind formula 1 drivers yet...

*"with reasonable adaptation" may also be a legal consideration in the UK

All of the advertisments I looked at in BCS altough they didn't say it explictly implied that they only NTs need apply as I said in the first post.

Ashfire908
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jul 2006, 6:04 pm

sigholdaccountlost wrote:
So for BCS (business communcation studies, a subject I have to do at school) I had to look at these job advertisements, they all required 'great interpersonal skills' or some such.

ok,
1. "Business communcation studies". Did you expect you didn't need to be good at communcation?
2. It's required?

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2006, 6:13 pm

Hey, we looked at plenty of jobs where you wouldn't and yes, it is required, both the subject and the skills in pretty solo jobs.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 9:04 pm

On some jobs, such as sales, you're dead in the water without great interpersonal skills. However, if I saw that on an ad for a position such as janitor or garbageman, I'd be very surprised.

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 9:20 am

werbert wrote:
On some jobs, such as sales, you're dead in the water without great interpersonal skills. However, if I saw that on an ad for a position such as janitor or garbageman, I'd be very surprised.

That's exactly what I was starting this topic about.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 10:36 am

Yes, I can see where a person would need great personal skills to interact with a mop or a clogged toilet.

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 5:35 pm

werbert wrote:
Yes, I can see where a person would need great personal skills to interact with a mop or a clogged toilet.

So can I.