Having to do two things at once as playing video-games?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2011, 9:13 am

I know I can't mutli-tak but....
I love video-gaming, but I can't seem to play unless I am also doing something else on my laptop at the same-time. Otherwise I get bored of playing? o.O;

It somehow helps me keep focus. So I am playing for 15minutes, get bored. my face wanders off to the laptop I've been listening to, and sometime passes and I go back to playing. I think Netflix has negatively impacted me. xD

Last edited by Infoseeker on 29 Mar 2011, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 12:19 pm

No no it's Having to do 5 things at once while playing video games and I never get bored. Perhaps the game you are playing does not interest you at all and you are simply playing it to pass the time. perhaps getting a video game that keeps you glue to the screen would be a better choice.

What I do:
1. Playing a video game
2. Watching TV
3. Listening to music
4. Responding to Steam IMs
5. Browsing the web on a second computer.

While still giving equal attention to all these things.

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2011, 12:48 pm

I do that too. I have 2 televisions and a PC in my living room and I'll be playing Xbox on one TV, watching a show on the other while chatting and surfing and listening to Pandora on the PC.

Yet at work I can only do one thing at a time....well.

DeadCow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Mar 2011, 2:21 pm

Maybe you should find a better game.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:41 pm

Yep.. you need a better game. :P

you using a PC or a console? Console games don't have the complexity of PC games..

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 7:29 pm

I do this sometimes. Actually, I am right now :D :lol:
I've got a TV with my Xbox 360 in my home office along with my desktop computer.

Eternity29
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2011, 8:44 pm

I do this all the time. I'll have a video game going and either an audiobook or a Netflix movie playing on my laptop next to me. It makes leveling up in RPGs and I can learn something when I'm playing. :)

DeadCow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2011, 9:16 am

I do that when I grind in RPGS...but that isn't even fun.

The accomplishment after its done is amazing.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 9:36 am

Infoseeker wrote:
I know I can't mutli-tak but....
I love video-gaming, but I can't seem to play unless I am also doing something else on my laptop at the same-time. Otherwise I get bored of playing? o.O;

It somehow helps me keep focus. So I am playing for 15minutes, get bored. my face wanders off to the laptop I've been listening to, and sometime passes and I go back to playing. I think Netflix has negatively impacted me. xD

That's rather cool actually, to be able to multitask while playing a video game. What genre of games are you usually playing when your attention drifts?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 9:40 am

DeadCow wrote:

What if a game were made to purposefully allow, but not require, such multitasking? Perhaps if there were a way for a game to be played on multiple adjacent computers/consoles (or at least multiple peripherals) it could be rather awesome if done well.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 9:41 am

Eternity29 wrote:
I do this all the time. I'll have a video game going and either an audiobook or a Netflix movie playing on my laptop next to me. It makes leveling up in RPGs and I can learn something when I'm playing. :)

When I issue orders to the battlefleets of my interstellar empire, it usually takes a long time for them to arrive at their destinations, so I have free time to argue here.

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2011, 4:14 pm

I focus 100% when playing. I often lose track of time and get frustrated if someone or something interrupts me :) But I'm mostly into intense shooters and FPS/RPG/action/adventure mixes. I never play strategy games.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 10:16 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
DeadCow wrote:

What if a game were made to purposefully allow, but not require, such multitasking? Perhaps if there were a way for a game to be played on multiple adjacent computers/consoles (or at least multiple peripherals) it could be rather awesome if done well.

Rather, you may want to look into a game that requires micromanagement of certain tasks as part of accomplishing the main task. For example, there's a game called Apache Longbow 2 , a helicopter simulator, where rather than pressing one button to cycle through available targets (as most other games do) you have to micromanage the entire radar target sweep, target acquisition, visual confirmation of target, laser designate it or radar lock it, arm the correct weapon type and THEN you can fire it. If you don't you may hit friendly units that are in close combat with enemy units.

In multiplayer you could have your friend fly another helicopter called the Kiowa. Kiowa is a scout helicopter that is very fast and very small...and it has a lot better radar and targeting systems...which allow the gunship (apache longbow) to be hidden behind a mountain and fire missiles that go over the mountain top and are then guided to target by the Kiowa (or have the kiowa transmit the targeting data to the apache).

aaah i miss that game. :)

That's the kind of stuff that completely absorbs your attention and demands focus. The only modern game to have had something similar to this is EVE ONLINE when you fly the sensor ships... but its not the same anymore as EVE has become too arcade point and click. :(

Last edited by Dantac on 01 Apr 2011, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2011, 8:56 am

Yeah, I'm usually doing this when its an RPG. Action games I have no choice but to close my laptop to progress.

But I do learn from what I am watching. I love watching British comedies as I play.

Lilysparkle2011
Raven
Raven

13 Apr 2011, 10:17 am

I do this aswell i usually play toontown on one laptop and wizard101 on the other while watching doctor who lol

inexplicablefolly
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Apr 2011, 10:26 am

Lilysparkle2011 wrote:
I do this aswell i usually play toontown on one laptop and wizard101 on the other while watching doctor who lol

I too like to play games and simultaneously watch Dr Who.
The best combination I find for me is an RPG on DS, sudoku or something on my iPod, watching something and reading an article. Perhaps I should get some more engaging games...