Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

slasher666
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Apr 2011, 2:58 am

Listening to music is one of my favourite activities, and I like many different types of music. My favourite genres are hard rock, heavy metal, punk, progressive rock (including art rock), psychedelic rock, and experimental rock, but I also like disco, new wave, classical music, reggae, ska, calypso, Celtic music, Latin music, some old-school rap, and some alternative rock. I dislike most rap, country, folk, and modern pop, and am ambivalent about jazz. I like mostly classic rock, but there is some newer rock that I like. As for pop (which I say isn't a genre but rather a lack of genre), I like some of the older stuff but hardly any of the newer stuff. The thing I find with pop is that although it can contain elements of many different genres, it generally sounds like generic, over-produced music that's made "artificially" just so that it will appeal to a large audience and make a lot of money, and is therefore not made with love as it should be. Today, all pop music is is annoying synthesizer sounds mixed with some singing and rap, so I hate modern pop music. Unfortunately, it seems that it's all anyone my age listens to these days. I know a lot of people (even my age) who share my opinion about modern pop music, but somehow it seems like only the people who actually like that synthesizer rap crap will actually play music. I like some of the synthesizer music from the 1980s because back then, they had a variety of sounds rather than just the annoying one they use today which sounds like a bug zapper. Still, I'd rather hear real instruments, such as guitars and drums. The only pop stars who are actually credible in my opinion are Michael Jackson and ABBA. My 2 favourite bands (alphabetically) are Queen and Rush. I also like The Beatles, Journey, KISS, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Green Day, AFI, Billy Talent, Supertramp, Electric Light Orchestra, Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention, Yes, Bruce Springsteen (and the E Street Band), Billy Joel, ABBA, Michael Jackson, Santana (moderately), Talking Heads, Jane's Addiction, Loverboy, Trooper, "Weird Al" Yankovic, The Offspring, Rage Against the Machine, Kim Mitchell, The Guess Who (moderately), Bachman-Turner Overdrive (moderately), The White Stripes, Sweet, Cage the Elephant, Wings, Heart, Vampire Weekend (moderately), The Clash, The Moody Blues (moderately), Blondie (moderately), The (English) Beat, Metallica, Twisted Sister, Aerosmith (moderately), Def Leppard, Van Halen, Genesis, The Who, Guns N' Roses, AC/DC (although I can only take so much of them because all their stuff sounds too similar), Elton John, Finger Eleven, Sum 41, Maroon 5 (moderately), Cheap Trick, Boston, Bob Marley and the Wailers (though I can only take so much of him because all his stuff sounds the same), Nirvana (although I think of them as the most overrated band in the world), U2 (although I find them really overrated as well, but I like some of their songs), The Rolling Stones (moderately), Hedley (even though their music is overproduced pop rock), Barenaked Ladies (come on, everyone likes them!), Great Big Sea, Huey Lewis and the News, Bon Jovi (also overrated, but I like some of their stuff), ZZ Top (moderately), April Wine (moderately), and Fall Out Boy (moderately). Some artists/bands who I haven't heard that much (or anything) by but would like to hear more of are Yes, Saga, The White Stripes, Primus, System of a Down, Blue Cheer, Queens of the Stone Age, Wolfmother, Electric Light Orchestra, King Crimson, Captain Beefheart, The Ramones, (The) Sex Pistols, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Max Webster, Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath, The Mars Volta, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull, Dream Theater, Headkase, Dog Fashion Disco, Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction, Kansas, The Boomtown Rats, Van der Graaf Generator, Muse, DragonForce (although all their songs probably sound the same), Can, Faust, Rob Zombie/White Zombie, Soft Machine, Roxy Music, Iron Butterfly, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Quicksilver Messenger Service, David Bowie, Rancid, The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, Dayglo Abortions, Judas Priest, Phish, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Meshuggah, Styx, Motorhead, Chicago, Queen + Paul Rodgers, ELO Part II, The Grateful Dead, blink-182, Sparks, Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Extreme, Black Spiders, Deep Purple, Motley Crue, Helix, Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, Foreigner, Quiet Riot, Megadeth, and Twisted Sister.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 3:02 am

8O Wall of text.

I listen to pretty much everything.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 3:03 am

Eesh... can you say wall of text? :P

Well, my favorite genres are rock and metal, but I like many other types, which I would name if I knew what those genres were. :wink:

EDIT: At TEGH, :lol:

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 3:12 am

Holy crap! That reminds me, I love the album The Wall by Pink Floyd :D :wink:
I digress
I love a lot of music... I really don't know how you crazy kids can memorize all the bands you love, its like a teenage myspace page! :lol: Anyways, good taste in music
I really enjoy a lot of different genres, with exceptions being anything 'urban' (hip hop, gangsta rap...) or boy/girl band/pop-ish and 98% of all country (though I respect it as a genre that has musicians who are passionate about their instruments and etc)
Lately all I have been listening to is either Big Band or various 80s classics

shadowchyld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2011, 3:15 am

Pretty much take your list there, and add Styx, Motorhead, Pantera, Alice In Chains, and Type O Negative, throw in a little bit of country music and Christian rock for good measure.... and you've got my mp3 player playlist.

edit: Make that Classic Country BTW... Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, George Jones, Patsy Cline, etc.
And your two favorites are my two favorites :D

edit #2: oh, you have Styx and Motorhead... I was kinda falling asleep at the end.

edit #3: Sublime is on my list too.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2011, 6:27 am

Minimal Techno, Melodic Techno, Deep House, Progressive House, Tech House, Electro House, Wobbly House, Fidget Electro, Dirty Electro, Acid Ambient and more. Listing artists would take a massive amount of time.

Starlight-Supernova
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2011, 6:32 am

Almost every genre...but I perfer 80's/early 90's music.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

23 Apr 2011, 2:51 pm

I listen mainly to heavy metal (almost all sub-genre), i like '80s music and some songs like 'Love is Noise' of the Verve.

I dislike House, Pop music and almost all new italian songs.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 5:11 pm

slasher666 wrote:
Listening to music is one of my favourite activities, and I like many different types of music. My favourite genres are hard rock, heavy metal, punk, progressive rock (including art rock), psychedelic rock, and experimental rock, but I also like disco, new wave, classical music, reggae, ska, calypso, Celtic music, Latin music, some old-school rap, and some alternative rock. I dislike most rap, country, folk, and modern pop, and am ambivalent about jazz. I like mostly classic rock, but there is some newer rock that I like. As for pop (which I say isn't a genre but rather a lack of genre), I like some of the older stuff but hardly any of the newer stuff. The thing I find with pop is that although it can contain elements of many different genres, it generally sounds like generic, over-produced music that's made "artificially" just so that it will appeal to a large audience and make a lot of money, and is therefore not made with love as it should be. Today, all pop music is is annoying synthesizer sounds mixed with some singing and rap, so I hate modern pop music. Unfortunately, it seems that it's all anyone my age listens to these days. I know a lot of people (even my age) who share my opinion about modern pop music, but somehow it seems like only the people who actually like that synthesizer rap crap will actually play music. I like some of the synthesizer music from the 1980s because back then, they had a variety of sounds rather than just the annoying one they use today which sounds like a bug zapper. Still, I'd rather hear real instruments, such as guitars and drums.

In my opinion, music as a form of expression isn't always made with love, but those who make it love music for the means of expressing yourself that it provides. Feel free to disagree, but I say this because death threats, the lost of a loved one, or telling the world off have all been vocalized in music in an often love-less passionate rant, so love isn't always involved.

That said, it is formulaic, and there is a company out there that gets paid to run new pop tracks through their algorythem to determine its chances of success based on word use, bpm, types of instruments and sounds used, new trends in the ways that vocals are edited, past successes, etc. Carson daily interviewed them a few months back. It is a profit machine. You are viewed from birth as a cradle-to-grave customer directly, and a cradle-to-cradle customer indirectly (via the off-spring who will one day influence your purchasing decisions.)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 4:27 pm

My favourite music genres are eurodance, pop and hip-hop.
Artists I enjoy: Cascada, Aqua, Caramell, Smile.dk, E-Rotic, Tune Up!, Basshunter, DJ Auzern, Wild Strawberrys, Jenny Rom, Dr. Bombay, Creamy, Beyonce, Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez, Gwen Stefani, Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha and Pitbull.

I dislike most oldies, metal, rock, emo, indie, trance and country music. There are exceptions, but they are rare.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2011, 5:02 pm

I don't really dislike any particular music - even country, rave, dub step...there are the occasional songs/tracks that are good, or times when you'll be in the mood to listen to such types of music from time to time. In the rock scene you get a lot of elitism over music, which is just pathetic and one major reason for me not to put-down any other type of music - other artists however are open season.

I REALLY like rock - America, Grunge, Blues, Stoner - a little metal, hip-hop, blues, and singer/songwriter.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2011, 11:28 pm

I mostly listen to classical music, preferring Romantic-period Germanic music (favorite composers (in no order,) are Brahms, (Richard) Strauss, Mahler and Beethoven.) I do like some Classical-period music and Baroque music, just not as much.

As for contemporary music, I mostly listen to punk and instrumental music.

voyage-one

26 Apr 2011, 12:38 am

The main genres I listen to are trance, hard dance, chicago/deep house, rock,
metal, drum& bass, breaks and a bit of early 90's hip hop and gangsta rap.
I can't stand that dirty dutch sh!t that's big right now.

voyage-one

26 Apr 2011, 12:42 am

The main genres I listen to are trance, hard dance, chicago/deep house, rock,
metal, drum& bass, breaks and a bit of early 90's hip hop and gangsta rap.
I can't stand that dirty dutch sh!t that's big right now.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 4:24 pm

Dislike: Rap, Country, Top 40, and G-rated Pop

Like: New Wave, early 90s music, and some Dance music

jackshephard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2011, 8:11 pm

I'm a sucker for slow songs, ballads, folk, etc. I do enjoy some pop-rock/pop-punk. Too loud/crazy irritates me. Sorry Slipknot :(