Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alexfromnorway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2011, 3:23 pm

I think Autism Speaks should be sued for denying freedom of speech and fooling people into donating hundreds of dollars. The fact that the Autism Speaks' directors have 150 000 USD + salaries, the fact that there are no autistic people involved in the direction of the company and those autistics who speak up are discriminated, bullied and ignored, gives the impression that the greed of the directors is stronger than the wish of helping autistics. I think we have a good case, but we will need a good attorney.

Join the effort for neurodiversity - joik the effort to sue Autism Speaks!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 3:48 pm

Let's get together and do it.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 4:57 pm

Unfortunately, Autism Speaks doesn't owe anyone the freedom of speech. And it's fully allowed to act in the discriminatory ways we all know that it does. That's because the organization isn't a public actor so far as I know. If you think there's financial fraud there, then that's another story. That's what would make a "good case." And that could be as simple as the organization misrepresenting itself to the donating public -- if you think it is. (For the record, I do.)

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 5:19 pm

As far as I'm aware, many 'charities' pay their higher-ups large salaries. And Autism Speaks does have (one) new autistic member on it's board the last time I heard of it (yes, not a huge number, but it's a start).

I don't like Autism Speak much since I watched their advert, but that was years ago and the more recent ones aren't as bad. Overall, it doesn't affect me all that much; the charity seems aimed at families of lower functioning kids. I personally think they could do with support whatever form it takes, as long as it doesn't actually damage the individual kid.

The blatant autism-speaks-bashing on this site, without giving concrete (and up to date) reasons makes me sway towards sympathising with them, which I gather is not the intended reaction. I think we need to work with all autism charities to help educate people on the subject; labelling them the enemy won't help.

Also, how have they prevented your free speech?

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 6:13 pm

I am less than impressed with their financial reports. Last report I read states that only 23 cents of every dollar raised goes to the research they say they are raising funds for. There are many charity watch dog groups and not a single one recommends Autism Speaks.

US Better Business Bureau Autism Speaks Report

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 6:40 pm

Lene wrote:
As far as I'm aware, many 'charities' pay their higher-ups large salaries. And Autism Speaks does have (one) new autistic member on it's board the last time I heard of it (yes, not a huge number, but it's a start).

I don't like Autism Speak much since I watched their advert, but that was years ago and the more recent ones aren't as bad. Overall, it doesn't affect me all that much; the charity seems aimed at families of lower functioning kids. I personally think they could do with support whatever form it takes, as long as it doesn't actually damage the individual kid.

The blatant autism-speaks-bashing on this site, without giving concrete (and up to date) reasons makes me sway towards sympathising with them, which I gather is not the intended reaction. I think we need to work with all autism charities to help educate people on the subject; labelling them the enemy won't help.

Also, how have they prevented your free speech?

I do not remember anyone apologizing for this.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 11:09 am

Meh, I don't see the point in kicking up a fuss and suing a charity because you happen to disagree with their ideals and methods.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 11:37 am

MONKEY wrote:
Meh, I don't see the point in kicking up a fuss and suing a charity because you happen to disagree with their ideals and methods.

If Autism Speaks were indeed a charity -- both in spirit and in practice -- then I don't think anyone would be that worked up. And I don't think it's merely a matter of disagreeing with the stated mission. Rather, I think enough people see it as a sort of "slush fund" for its executives -- and that's what gets people's ire up. It irritates me that SO much money goes to SO little in the end ... but, truthfully, not enough to try to do anything about it. At the end of the day, I think Autism Speaks is kind of a scam -- but just "kind of."

alexfromnorway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2011, 3:13 pm

I would recommend using Ira Brad Matetsky, of New York. I know him through Wikipedia where I am quite up the ranks (he is an administrator and arbitrator) and I have discussed with him a little bit about autism and Autism Speaks, he has an Aspie son and he is wondering if he could have Asperger himself. He has told me that Autism Speaks is "a greedy bunch of people wanting to cash in on people's naivety". I asked him how much he would charge for an eventual lawsuit of AutisM Speaks and he said "not a lot, I make enough money elsewhere"....

Please, we need support and some Americans who can take care of the financial bit. Maybe Aspies for Freedom could sponsor it?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 3:19 pm

They're not funded by government, are they? At any level?

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 3:38 pm

Tequila wrote:
They're not funded by government, are they? At any level?

Their members are on government agencies and do research with the CDC. They pay their science officer 6 figures to apparently not listen at a federal advisory board, since no mention of vaccine research was made for one initiative and they twisted it that way. They misled people on 2 different federal documents concerning vaccine research, and got the facts of one court case horribly wrong that it looked like a girl got compensated for getting autism from a vaccine despite the fact it never says that in the court document. Given those things and having a former Generation Rescue president as a consultant, it should be more than obvious what they are trying to do with their vaccine program.

They also have links to chiropractic, homeopathy, and Defeat Autism Now! in their Resources pages, along with every anti-vaccine organization in the country on it. One member of their board has an organization committed to proving a link between mercury and autism, and will try no matter what the research says.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2011, 6:58 pm

totaly with you on the concept. since i live in dc i know a lot about big cases. the crimes against autistics would be hard to prove and autism speaks can afford good lawyers

ci
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 2:23 am

That would be like suing the OP for not allowing myself and others to type on his or her own computer in his or her own home.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Yowuza
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 May 2011, 11:28 am

You do realize that the US constitution only disallows the government to suppress freedom of speech, right? Because that's like saying it's illegal for teachers to ban kids from swearing all the time.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 5:54 pm

But they are responsible for truth in their advertising... if anything, this is where they may have a grey area.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 5:59 pm

draelynn wrote:
But they are responsible for truth in their advertising... if anything, this is where they may have a grey area.

Give me some examples for analysis.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com