Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2011, 2:59 pm

My experiences with my Asperger's "diagnosis" are annoyingly brief and unserious. My psychiatrist (who i've only been to once after telling me this) told me she thinks i have a "drop" of asperger's, but i don't seem to have all the asperger's traits. I know that i come across to people like that as an intelligent, highly functional person, but i know that i have Asperger's. I just need a way to tell my parents that i think i have it, and not just some traits. I don't know why they don't seem to see it, because I have almost all the asperger's traits. I've always known that my brain is wired differently, but i guess i'm pretty good at hiding it. Even though i've been bullied and had friend troubles all through school, i never told my parents, and they have no idea about the sensory issues and all, so what should i say to them?

Here are some of my triats:
Not good in social situations
Always say the wrong thing, but rarely know it's wrong to say.
Trouble keeping track of multiple conversations,
trouble understanding the point of a joke
using humor inappropriately
wrong facial expressions
poor handwriting
extreme, narrow interrests
always talking/thinking about interrests
talking at people
shyness and worry of saying/doing the wrong thing
no "filter"
certain sounds litterally "hurt" me
strong/sensitive sense of smell
impossible to filter out background noise (people think i eaves drop, but i can't help hearing them,and have trouble not commenting on their conversations)
extreme reactions to any changes in plan, scedule, etc. (i'm 14, and i throw a fit every time we can't get icecream when my parents promised we would, and i'm not spoiled or anyting, it's just really, really tough for me.)
trouble making friends
noise and light sensitivity
repettitive rituals
has to do everything the same way every time
hates anything unexpected/ likes everything planned
sensitive to touch (can't wear clothes with tags, or even most necklaces and bracelets
engages in interrests for hours and hours
"intense" personality
extreme difficulty seeing other's points of view
gifted
amazing ability to remember facts
^dispite this^, can't remember where anything is and such things
very disorganized thoughts
preffer to be/ work alone
finds working with others stressful because they don't do things the way i like and have ideas i don't understand
often bullied and called "weird"
need to correct people (grammar, correct numbers, etc.)
difficulty with small talk
overreacts to small things
social situations require too much work
unique way of thinking
unique sense of humor
need for fairness- does not understand why other people would be in any way unfair
very logical thinking
loves for philosophy/ always asks why
knows everything there is to know about certain things
melts down if not everything goes as planned

Well, i'm sure there's more but i think that's enough! haha sorry, it's long, but you don't have to read it, i just need advice on how to tell my parents i deffinately have AS!

questor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 4:23 pm

Yes, dancinonwater you have Asperger Syndrome. Based on my own research and my own experiences, you fit fully in the spectrum. Also, it is not necessary to have every symptom to fit the condition. I think you need a new doctor if that's what they think. I am over 50 and almost everything you listed applies to me, plus some you don't have. I have managed to learn to cope with some of the symptoms well enough, so that they don't interfere too much with my life, but most of them are still a problem to some extent.

I have not gone for an official diagnosis yet, and some would say that then I don't count as having Aspergers because of that, but that's like saying you are not an amputee until a doctor looks at where your arm was cut off in an accident. I don't need a doctor to tell me what I have, when my symptoms fit the spectrum. They don't fit elsewhere, and I am not a classic autistic, or just depressive. I think our depression comes from our difficulties coping with the NT world.

I think you should sit your parents down, and show them the comment you posted here. When I was growing up nobody had heard of Aspergers, but kids like us did have it. For those in my age group we were usually diagnosed as having "emotional" or "behavior" problems, usually with some psychiatric components to it. We were often put on dangerous drugs. In my case the drugs did not help and had unpleasant side effects. I eventually took myself off of them without consulting my parents or the doctors, because of this. I am coping without mind altering drugs now, primarily by reducing stress in my life as much as possible. For me the biggest help was when I finally was able to live alone. I am too uncomfortable and out of sinc in social situations, even with relatives. When I lived with relatives, we drove each other crazy without intending to, because they are NT, and can't fully understand or cope with someone who has Aspergers, and I can't fully cope with NT life or expectations. I actually get along better with my relatives now that I don't live with any of them.

I wish you all the best in your life journey, and leave you and the rest of my fellow Aspys with this famous quote by Henry David Thoreau (not sure of last name spelling) that applies to us.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, how ever measured, or far away."

Zayle79
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Apr 2011, 7:31 am

Have you told your psychiatrist about all of those symptoms? If you haven't, then you need to, so you can get a more accurate official diagnosis. You are an aspie.

Be proud!

Maladroit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2011, 7:42 pm

You're definitely on the spectrum, dude.

Just show this post and all the other posts to your parents and they'll come around.

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2011, 11:08 pm

I would like to ask either my mom or my psychologist about AS, but I don't know what to say. Can anyone give me basically an example script? My mom's a psychologist, so I don't really have to give her like litterature and such, but I'm not sure what is say to either. Also, should I tell my psychologist that I've done research, or will she tthink that i might be a hypocondriac and not diagnose me? I know for a fact that i have Asperger's Syndrome, but I need an official diagnosis! I need my parents to know because I think it would just help our relationship a lot and I could get a 504 plan for school so I can achieve my goals of being in the IB program and going to an Ivy League university, dispite the fact that I take a while to finish tests and forget things easily, because I'm Autistic. I need the people close to me to know that for a fact.

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2011, 9:24 am

Can anyone give me some advice?

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm

I have not yet talked to my mom or my psychologist about Asperger's, but I know that they both know that I have it, they just don't seem to want to label it. But i have really opened up about my social issues, so I think now any suspicions that they had have been confirmed. My plan for now is to just ask mt psychologist, "why is this all so hard for me?" Or something along those lines of the fact that I'm different, so what is wrong with me that causes me to feel this way? (*This way* meaning all my aspie traits). I know that a diagnosis is not the key to everything, but I want something official. Like I want to be able to say that I officially definitely have this, not just a little, not just have some issues, but I have Asperger's Syndrome!

If anyone has some other words of wisdom, that would be great!

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 12:08 am

dancinonwater wrote:
Here are some of my triats:
Not good in social situations
Always say the wrong thing, but rarely know it's wrong to say.
Trouble keeping track of multiple conversations,
trouble understanding the point of a joke
using humor inappropriately
poor handwriting
extreme, narrow interrests
always talking/thinking about interrests
talking at people
shyness and worry of saying/doing the wrong thing
no "filter"
certain sounds litterally "hurt" me
strong/sensitive sense of smell
impossible to filter out background noise (people think i eaves drop, but i can't help hearing them,and have trouble not commenting on their conversations)
extreme reactions to any changes in plan, scedule, etc. (i'm 14, and i throw a fit every time we can't get icecream when my parents promised we would, and i'm not spoiled or anyting, it's just really, really tough for me.)
trouble making friends
noise and light sensitivity
repettitive rituals
has to do everything the same way every time
hates anything unexpected/ likes everything planned
sensitive to touch (can't wear clothes with tags, or even most necklaces and bracelets
engages in interrests for hours and hours
"intense" personality
extreme difficulty seeing other's points of view
gifted
^dispite this^, can't remember where anything is and such things
very disorganized thoughts
preffer to be/ work alone
finds working with others stressful because they don't do things the way i like and have ideas i don't understand
often bullied and called "weird"
need to correct people (grammar, correct numbers, etc.)
difficulty with small talk
overreacts to small things
social situations require too much work
unique way of thinking
unique sense of humor
need for fairness- does not understand why other people would be in any way unfair
very logical thinking
loves for philosophy/ always asks why
knows everything there is to know about certain things
melts down if not everything goes as planned

ok, well, Theres a lot here that I have. I was DIagnosed in '06. Just so you know. But its a probability.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 1:20 am

I would recommend approaching the conversations with the "evidence" you've mentioned printed out. If you wanted you could even list things as dot points under each of the DSM criteria, with the sensory issues mentioned at the bottom. You could also try taking the Aspie Quiz and showing them your score. If they are not as keen as you in pursuing a diagnosis, which they from what you have said seem not be, you could also come up with a list of reasons why finding out is important to you.

Anyway that's my 2c.

May what ever you decide to do work out well for you.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

dancinonwater wrote:
gifted

:roll:

EGGREGUYOUS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jun 2011, 3:23 pm

There's no doubt dancinonwater you have Aspergers, I would only change 1 or 2 things on that list. How did you get all of that from your head to writing? Is it easy for you or did it take a while to figure it all out?

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2011, 5:25 pm

YourMother wrote:
dancinonwater wrote:
gifted

I don't understand your comment...

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2011, 5:30 pm

EGGREGUYOUS wrote:
There's no doubt dancinonwater you have Aspergers, I would only change 1 or 2 things on that list. How did you get all of that from your head to writing? Is it easy for you or did it take a while to figure it all out?

Is difficulty listing things a sort of symptom of Asperger's? Because it is nearly impossible for me! It took me at least an hour or two to get this list put together. And i know for a fact that i've left some symptoms of mine off the list, as well.

EGGREGUYOUS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jun 2011, 9:08 pm

Ya that seems about right huh? Do you ever seem to sort of not forget enough, like there's always something missing?

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 7:14 am

dancinonwater wrote:
YourMother wrote:
dancinonwater wrote:
gifted

You're not modest, are you? Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but I wouldn't dream of referring to myself like that, whether it were true or not. :P

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2011, 11:16 am

YourMother wrote:
dancinonwater wrote:
YourMother wrote:
dancinonwater wrote:
gifted

You're not modest, are you? Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but I wouldn't dream of referring to myself like that, whether it were true or not. :P

I was not attempting to brag, but rather give you all the facts. Giftedness can actually be measured, and for that I was actually being modest, as my IQ is within genius range. And the ability to remember facts is not me bragging either. It is common with Asperger's Syndrome to have a sort of weird memory. I personally can remember facts amazingly well, but my working memory sucks. This actually has nothing to do with intelligence, but I am lucky enough that I do understand what I remember.

Anyway, please understand that I was only trying to provide all the information that could point towards a diagnoses of Asperger's Syndrome.