Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 12:36 am

Many of us here have sensory issues. Let's hear about your socks. What kind of socks (or stockings or tights if you're a lady) are your favorite? Material, length, style? Are they cheap or costly? Do you like socks with cute patterns or funky prints?

My favorite socks are well made wool socks, like the Smartwool brand, though not limited to that brand. They have to be crew socks or knee high socks with no tight elastic cuffs. I don't really care if there's seam above the toes or not. Wools socks are generally pricey, so I try to preserve them by not wearing them at home. The moment I get home I put on some cheap fleece socks. In summer I wear cotton socks, the kind with at least 80% cotton. I wear socks with sandals (and I'm a girl) most of the time for protection and to prevent stinky sandals. Probably drive those fashion police nuts. My whole family wear socks with sandals. :D

I absolutely can't stand those low ankle socks, they feel like socks that have slipped down but you can't pull them up. Cute colors or prints are OK, but they better be flat. Can't stand those with piles of loose thread inside.

*I have never lost a single sock, so I never have any single sock with no mate. Amazing record? :D

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 12:48 am

I don't like socks in summer and sorta like them in winter because they keep my feet warm. I have pairs that are tight enough to not slip off my feet but they drive me crazy because they pinch the toes of my left foot and I can't stand the feeling so I don't wear them. What I do is take a pair of Hanes shin length socks and trim them with scissors so they are just above my ankles. In the winter, I wear the full length up-to-my-shins Hanes socks but in summer I can't stand them.
I don't wear expensive socks because I can't afford them. I would rather go without socks in summer, but my heels and toes get blisters if I do.

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2011, 12:49 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 12:51 am

Those are the ones, lol.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 12:59 am

I don't have a favorite. As long as they're white and the seam on the toe doesn't irritate me, I'm good to go.

No stockings.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 May 2011, 1:22 am

I haven't worn anything of this nature for years.

Tights made my legs itch. Nylons would run very easily. Socks gave me all kinds of sensory issues (made me itch, the seams were awful, weren't tight enough, etc).

My ideal, sans itching, is basic black tights.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 1:28 am

White socks? Hmm, I don't think I have any white socks. I have them in nearly every color of the rainbow, to match my equally colorful clothes. :D I'm not working and don't need to look professional.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 1:28 am

Verdandi wrote:
I haven't worn anything of this nature for years.

Tights made my legs itch. Nylons would run very easily. Socks gave me all kinds of sensory issues (made me itch, the seams were awful, weren't tight enough, etc).

My ideal, sans itching, is basic black tights.

Pantie hose, tights and certain fabrics make my legs itch. I have two cats and if any of their shedding fur gets between my jeans and my skin, it itches like crazy.
I can't wear hose or tights, but I can wear stockings.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 May 2011, 1:30 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Pantie hose, tights and certain fabrics make my legs itch. I have two cats and if any of their shedding fur gets between my jeans and my skin, it itches like crazy.

Part of my problem is that I just have trouble with anything that comes partyway up my leg. It's just uncomfortable, and they often slip down, no matter how tightly fitting they are... ugh.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 1:36 am

Verdandi wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Part of my problem is that I just have trouble with anything that comes partyway up my leg. It's just uncomfortable, and they often slip down, no matter how tightly fitting they are... ugh.

I haven't worn hose in a years, but when I did, I wore garters and stockings because they didn't itch my legs nearly as much as pantie hose or tights. I would rather wear jeans or Danskin workout clothing which is mostly what I wear. I practically live in Danskin and t shirts or tank tops. It get's so uncomfortable here in summer, I have to go sleeveless.

Dirty_Diamonds
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 May 2011, 1:41 am

I'm actually not TOO picky about socks. I can wear knee highs just fine as long as they're not too tight or at an odd position on my leg...

But I pretty much ALWAYS have to wear socks. My biggest sensory problems are in my hands and feet, and if my feet touch together.. oh, it's bad. I have a fear of it happening due to that...

In the Summer I can usually wear flip flops. I LOVE flip flops(as long as they're a very specific type)... but I usually have to put socks on as soon as I come home because I get to thinking about it.

"Run from me. Everybody else does, and you know what? I don't care. So, I blow up. If they want to live their lives scared of something that isn't even happening to them then they've got a bigger problem than I do. Me, I'll face this one alone."

matt
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 2:08 am

AllieKat wrote:
The men's version of those

But only about half of the ones I buy have seams that are small enough to not bother me.

I remember when I was little that I would always wear my socks inside out. Socks should never have seams on the toes.

Verdandi wrote:
I hate that too. I fold down the top of the socks inside the socks to make them not slip down. It makes them fit tighter and they don't go up nearly as far, and if they ever get loose I immediately throw them away.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 2:15 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I haven't worn hose in a years, but when I did, I wore garters and stockings because they didn't itch my legs nearly as much as pantie hose or tights. I would rather wear jeans or Danskin workout clothing which is mostly what I wear. I practically live in Danskin and t shirts or tank tops. It get's so uncomfortable here in summer, I have to go sleeveless.

I know I'm going to sound like nothing satisfies me, but I absolutely *hated* the feeling of garters.

I wear jeans all the time now.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 2:20 am

Verdandi wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I know I'm going to sound like nothing satisfies me, but I absolutely *hated* the feeling of garters.

I wear jeans all the time now.

I didn't like the feeling of any of them either, but garters I could at least halfway tolerate without feeling like I needed to itch in public. I wanted to go without hose but my legs are pale and my feet are wide and won't fit into the pizza slice shoes without hose on. So, I was stuck having to wear them. It makes me want to be a farmer so I don't ever have to dress up. I can get by with wearing work out clothes and old jeans and tees for the rest of my life and shorts in the summer.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 2:21 am

I always wear socks because I cannot stand going bare foot. I hate how the floor and dirt feels on my feet, specially when they sweat. I often wear out my socks I out holes in them. I prefer patterns on them like characters like Strawberry Shortcake. Mine are usually cotton. I hate wool socks and arculic (whatever it's called). I also do not like socks that roll down so I often have them up. But I can have them folded down now. I like low ones and medium ones.

I have lost socks before and I don't know how that happens.

shadowchyld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2011, 2:24 am

THESE are what I mostly wear, in black for work, white at home. I like the ones with the arch supports more, same style, just a little support in the center. Those can be harder to find sometimes though. So these are usually pretty sufficient.