I want to meet someone...

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

evil_eyes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2011, 11:40 pm

I just need a friend :( I feel lonely in a crowd. I wish I could talk to someone and be their friend, but it's kind of hard to maintain friendships when you're always having meltdowns and get lost, right? I wish I had someone who understood the meltdowns and why I can't give directions anywhere or why I am the way I am. But that's wishful thinking, of course. It's not like I have anything to give in return. It takes a long time to get to know and like me and I'm not really worth the effort. I don't know why I'm posting this. I'm just tired, people. I'm just really tired of everything. People my age are going to parties and having boyfriends and doing fun and fulfilling stuff. I kind of want that, I want to know what it's like to be a teenager, dammit. Well, maybe not the parties, but the other stuff. I'm so jealous I don't even know what to do anymore. I want what they have.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 11:52 pm

I know what you mean. I would like more friends too. And a boyfriend.

Taking a break.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 12:30 am

What I write here probably doesn't help, but: this feeling of being lost, of being unsure what you're doing or why, is part of being a teenager in this day and age. It's not all of it, sure, but those kids going off to parties, having someone they're close with, in class, doing sports, math league or whatever else... They don't necessarily feel any more certain about what they're doing than you feel.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 3:26 am

i can't really help you in any other way then tell you that i feel exactly the same, and i divert a lot of my energy into trying to ignore these feelings.
usually, i succeed, but there are times that i just need to let it all out, and at those moments there is noone to share with...

Garath
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2011, 8:45 am

[quote="evil_eyes"]b] I wish I had someone who understood the meltdowns and why I can't give directions anywhere or why I am the way I am. But that's wishful thinking, of course. It's not like I have anything to give in return[/b].

I feel the same way, about not being worth it. TRicky part is realizing why this isn't true. Maybe you don't have anything to give in return to all the "dime a dozen" teenagers around you, but that doesn't mean there aren't people out there, in your town that wouldn't genuinely appreciate you for you. I bet you feel worthless because you're not involved with the "normal" lot, well part of that is by choice i'm sure, so if you think it through you'll realize you think you're worthless because of you not being able to see the point in their silly partying. That to me is an argument that doesn't make sense. I don't know if i'm making sense, point is to me as I see it, your reason for feeling worthless is a tad paradoxical.

The above is beyond hard to really fathom though because I like you just want to belong, to have a gf, maybe a single friend which is hard to find for people with social difficulties. But it doesn't get easier when your own brain is feeding you lies. Ofc, I really struggle to do this at 22 so I can guarentee it will be hard as a teenager, all I can really suggest is you hang in there, for some it gets better with age and for others like me, well it goes very slowly :P

evil_eyes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2011, 9:53 am

@Everyone in general:

The people I'm jealous of...aren't dime a dozen teens. Quirky, unique, dorky, smart, witty and talented people, they get to be nerdy and cool and get along with people. Do I need to point out that they're all either athletic, curvy, or skinny? That if they're not pretty, then they're interesting and vibrant and confident? I cry just thinking that I want to be a part of all that, I want to be that.
I am too different to get along, but not different enough to be unique and interesting and fun. I'm just...wrong. In so many ways.
I do have friends, but I'm very limited in how I can hang out with them. They grow; I don't. I hate this. I hate everything. Except WP. I dunno what sort of things I would resort to if I didn't have this place to just bleed out my feelings.

ssjgoku
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2011, 3:15 pm

evil_eyes wrote:
I just need a friend :( I feel lonely in a crowd. I wish I could talk to someone and be their friend, but it's kind of hard to maintain friendships when you're always having meltdowns and get lost, right? I wish I had someone who understood the meltdowns and why I can't give directions anywhere or why I am the way I am. But that's wishful thinking, of course. It's not like I have anything to give in return. It takes a long time to get to know and like me and I'm not really worth the effort. I don't know why I'm posting this. I'm just tired, people. I'm just really tired of everything. People my age are going to parties and having boyfriends and doing fun and fulfilling stuff. I kind of want that, I want to know what it's like to be a teenager, dammit. Well, maybe not the parties, but the other stuff. I'm so jealous I don't even know what to do anymore. I want what they have.

wow i can defenitely relate to you and how everyone but yourself is having fun going to parties etc.The meltdown stuff certainly does not help and i know that it is a very lonely place to be.I May not be able to offer much advice but i can defenitely understand how you feel.If you want to chat anytime just drop me a pm

evil_eyes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2011, 9:34 pm

ssjgoku wrote:
evil_eyes wrote:

wow i can defenitely relate to you and how everyone but yourself is having fun going to parties etc.The meltdown stuff certainly does not help and i know that it is a very lonely place to be.I May not be able to offer much advice but i can defenitely understand how you feel.If you want to chat anytime just drop me a pm

Thanks...but I won't. It stresses me out to keep up a conversation, it really, really does. Which makes the whole "I wanna have a lot of friends and have fun" dream pretty ridiculous. School starts in a few weeks...I'm scared and unprepared. Gonna have even more meltdown posts here, yay :|

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 1:22 pm

I went through the same in middle and high school. One thing I found helpful was to hang out with people who did not do those parties/group activities/etc that 'everyone' seemed to do on a regular basis.

Geeky as it may sound, I really enjoyed the time I spent playing Magic the Gathering (a card game) with a small group of people who were both in higher and lower school years than me. There's just something about being able to be engaged in DOING something rather than socializing that made it possible to connect at some level with people.

I wasn't particularly fond of the game itself (lets just say I spent only 50 bucks total on cards while the other fellas had whole shoeboxes full of cards and had spent nearly a thousand bucks over the years buying them)...but it was entertaining, engaging and it was a good ice breaker for conversations.

That group of people over the years started doing other activities besides the card game.. we would go play paintball, study groups, videogames, archery... lots of things that did not involve heavy socializing skills (aka parties for example).

So maybe you could try find such a group of people in your school and give it a try.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 1:43 pm

I agree with Dantac. Find people with special interests besides socializing. People who are passionate about something you can relate to. Doing an activity together is much nicer than going to parties. Look for some kind of club, or maybe even volunteer. I used to volunteer for Riding For The Disabled. My job was to hold the disabled children on the horses. I made so many friends that way, some my age and some younger and older. That did a lot more for me than going to any number of stupid noisy drunk parties. Plus, if you volunteer you will get amazing job experience and excellent references for working. Don't give up, because I know there's a place where you belong. But you have to actively look and try things, before you find it. Don't allow discouragement to steal you away from your goal.

evil_eyes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2011, 8:56 pm

I've been with this batch of students for 10 years, more or less. If there's anyone like me somewhere in the 300+ people, I haven't found them. I have a "group" so I'm not utterly alone, but they have friends outside our group and I don't. Sometimes they hang out with those other friends, in which case I have to eat alone.
My school isn't so diverse. I want to learn how to play tabletop rpgs, but there's no one to play with. The only one I know is waaaaay too cool and brilliant and has other friends to play with. See what I mean? They can talk about comic books and pop culture and anime and current events. I'm a dork, but I'm not dorky enough, not smart enough, not witty enough...Maybe I'll go to rpgtonight.com and play D&D there instead.
The only thing I can volunteer in is a religous youth group, and I'm not godly at all. I thought of volunteering, but I'm too slow on the uptake and awkward to be much help volunteering. I get anxious and scared in such an environment.

I'm really really sorry that all I'm doing is bitching. Honestly, I'm grateful for the support and kindness, and I'm not doing a good job of showing it but thanks. The best I could really hope for is to ride this year out with minimal heartache (...yeah right) and be grateful when high school is over.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 10:27 pm

You could try inviting that person you know along with his friends over to your place and have them bring their boardgames and stuff. That's how I started out with my group. The old 'hey I hear you like to play (this and that) .. i'd love to learn to play it.. you guys want to come over to my place and show me?' works pretty well.

There's always a spot for a quiet one in any group, you dont really need to be the sociable chatty person.. no need to bang your head on the wall about something that is not you. You'll find that fitting in or enjoying a social situation is not always about chatting about something..its about enjoying the company and feeling at ease. It will take a couple of weeks being part of that group to start feeling comfortable.

If you are good something like making cookies or drawing or anything that you can do and share with the group during your meetings. Exchange of gifts is a social tool (just dont use it as a crutch though! no buying friends here!).. and if you're the initiator you get more points on the socializing scale.

research what they like to do/play... see if you can do something along those lines... introduce self to group.. join group... enjoy.

not easy to do but its worth a shot :)

Anspaughnato
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2011, 3:46 am

I'll be your friend. :D

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 4:07 am

evil_eyes wrote:

I hear ya. At least in school you get the chance to meet people. I'm at a state now where's it's impossible. College is usually better or when people around your age start to mature. You're 16 and have your whole life ahead of you. I definitely felt the same way at 16 and 17 and 18. I still feel that way. Just try to find people like yourself or someone you can relate to. I found uncomfortable to be around people who I felt like I had to put on a performance for. Turns out most of the fun I was missing out on wasn't so much fun when I tried to be part of the "in-crowd".

evil_eyes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2011, 8:24 am

Anspaughnato wrote:
I'll be your friend. :D

Haha, thanks XD

The advice I'm getting from you kind people feels really nice and it is good advice, only I'm simply not capable of doing any of it. I honest-to-god cannot do any of it without having an internal panic attack. Huh, now that I think about it, I'm unhelpable U=_= Gomen.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:21 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
I hear ya. At least in school you get the chance to meet people. I'm at a state now where's it's impossible. College is usually better or when people around your age start to mature. You're 16 and have your whole life ahead of you. I definitely felt the same way at 16 and 17 and 18. I still feel that way. Just try to find people like yourself or someone you can relate to. I found uncomfortable to be around people who I felt like I had to put on a performance for. Turns out most of the fun I was missing out on wasn't so much fun when I tried to be part of the "in-crowd".

It's hard to overemphasize MissConstrue's last two sentences: it's very possible that you'll find it utterly draining to put on a performance just for the pleasure of the company of people who aren't otherwise interesting. So you may have trouble meeting people on your own terms. But there still isn't enough compensation around to make it pleasant to meet people on someone else's terms.

(Hmmph... This is the best I can put these thoughts together in English; the result doesn't look readily parseable, sorry about that)

(Edit 1. Yeesh... "emphasize" != "overemphasize". fixed.)