Do you fear having a mundane life?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

joerojas87
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2011, 12:49 am

I fear an ordinary mundane reality, so I choose to live a life in the pursuit of truth and knowledge which naturally avoids the problem. Ultimately, I fear ignorance; ignorance which in turn will inevitably lead to conformity or blind submission to cultural and social norms and expectations. I fear that I may one day lose the inclination and patience in order to sustain a state of enlightenment, because a life as such tends to be a lonelier one, and I will always be tempted to relinquish my pursuit of truth in order to be accepted and respected by the majority. I also fear my own uncertainty, and attempt to maintain self control by relying primarily on an internal source for happiness; happiness comes from within. Although, by not relying on a source of happiness externally: friends, family, possessions ect. I may avoid ignorance, but I can not avoid the downside of this reliance: a lonelier life. This fear of loneliness at times fuels the uncertainty of my decision to not conform for the sake of being accepted. Popularity comes at a price: not only a dependence on an external source for happiness, but also the loss of an enlightened mind due to it's confinement set by others. I fear my own fear, because the very fear which drives me to seek truth at all costs, causes uncertainty in me, and this uncertainty questions the very truth in which I value, and sacrificed so much in order to pursue.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

24 May 2011, 1:42 am

What do you mean by mundane life :?: My life is really boring & I kind of like it that w2ay

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 3:16 am

I fear a boring life more than anything else :(

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 1:20 pm

My life is perfect. Most would likely consider it mundane, but I like it that way. Routine, predictability, and a sense of security.

I'm rarely bored, though. It's hard to bore someone that likes to count the fibers in her carpet. :oops:

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 1:48 pm

My life might be described as mundane, but not ordinary.

I don't fear mundanity. But I do fear being completely isolated and alone. I see very few people, and I worry that one day I will see no people at all, and completely disappear.

But mundanity is ok. There is a lot of truth in the simple things. Plants, animals, fields, woods. Eating food. Basic rituals.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 2:23 pm

Yes, very much so. I try to do as much as I can with my time. I learn as much as I can(taught myself how to write, play piano, and am currently trying to learn how to draw digitally). Hopefully, being a marine biologist won't make my life busy.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 4:12 pm

I fear living a useless life much more than living a mundane life.

Khaaaaan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2011, 10:01 pm

I feel that out of 7 billion people on this earth, why do I have to live an ordinary life?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 10:10 pm

I kind of like living a simple life. Listen to music. Post on WP. Watch sports. It's all good. :D

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 11:20 pm

In all seriousness, I wish my life was more boring.
It's much too chaotic and "exciting" as it is.
I thrive on simple and predictable routines.
So the more repetitive and mundane, the better.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 11:43 pm

Mine is repeated, boring and mundane
the same cooking, cleaning, surfing net, lonely, alone and isolated.

ViewUpHere
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2011, 1:03 am

So here's a question: If you don't like the life you're leading, what would you do to change it? If someone offered the outrageous, the absurd, the anything but mundane, would you take the offer? And how much would you give up in exchange?

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 2:38 am

ViewUpHere wrote:
So here's a question: If you don't like the life you're leading, what would you do to change it? If someone offered the outrageous, the absurd, the anything but mundane, would you take the offer? And how much would you give up in exchange?

A group of friends, weekend getaway with them and parttime job would be great for a change.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

25 May 2011, 11:00 am

ViewUpHere wrote:

Getting a job would help but I'm having no luck with that. I'm thinking about trying to get involved with charity but that's about all I'd want to do to change my life besides find a girl.
If someone offered me anything but mundane; I would take a date or better yet marriage to Miranda Cosgrove in a heartbeat & I would give up being the way I am now,

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ViewUpHere
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2011, 1:13 pm

Quote:
A group of friends, weekend getaway with them and parttime job would be great for a change.

These are things you want to have change. But what would you be willing to do to get them? And what would you be willing to give up in order to get them?

I apologize if it seems like I'm prying. In some ways I guess I am. I'm trying to figure out what motivates people to do things.

There's a type of character in fiction called the "reluctant hero". Luke Skywalker is a great example of this. He's bored, he hates being a farmer, and he wants to leave home to see the universe. Then when Obi Wan offers him everything he's ever asked for he... says NO! He as to get home. It's late. There's the harvest. He's in trouble because of the droids. The list keeps going. It isn't until the Empire takes away everything he's ever known and leaves him homeless that he's willing to take Obi Wan's offer and get on a space ship.

Fiction, of course, has to make things larger than life so that it's interesting to read or to see on a screen. People, on the whole, tend to be a lot more pragmatic. But the same rules apply. If you're dissatisfied with your status quo, but haven't done anything to change it, you are by definition a reluctant hero. What are you willing to do? And what are you willing to give up to make it happen?

Jane Goodall is a great counter-example to Luke, but from real life. I'd hardly call her life a mundane one. But in order to get what she wanted she gave up time with her extended family, she gave up almost every friend she'd ever known, she gave up watching TV, going for strolls in the city park, going to the beach for a swim. She was willing to give up those things in order to get what she wanted. And she was willing to work very very hard to make it happen. She's a not so reluctant hero.

Most people don't fit Jane Goodall's mold. More are like Luke: knowing what they want, but unwilling to acknowledge the cost of getting it. Even more don't know what they want, or haven't articulated it to the point that they can actually do anything about it. Knowing the answers to these questions can be a powerful thing.

I'm just curious.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 11:49 pm

ViewUpHere wrote:
Quote:

These are things you want to have change. But what would you be willing to do to get them? And what would you be willing to give up in order to get them?

I apologize if it seems like I'm prying. In some ways I guess I am. I'm trying to figure out what motivates people to do things.

There's a type of character in fiction called the "reluctant hero". Luke Skywalker is a great example of this. He's bored, he hates being a farmer, and he wants to leave home to see the universe. Then when Obi Wan offers him everything he's ever asked for he... says NO! He as to get home. It's late. There's the harvest. He's in trouble because of the droids. The list keeps going. It isn't until the Empire takes away everything he's ever known and leaves him homeless that he's willing to take Obi Wan's offer and get on a space ship.

Fiction, of course, has to make things larger than life so that it's interesting to read or to see on a screen. People, on the whole, tend to be a lot more pragmatic. But the same rules apply. If you're dissatisfied with your status quo, but haven't done anything to change it, you are by definition a reluctant hero. What are you willing to do? And what are you willing to give up to make it happen?

Jane Goodall is a great counter-example to Luke, but from real life. I'd hardly call her life a mundane one. But in order to get what she wanted she gave up time with her extended family, she gave up almost every friend she'd ever known, she gave up watching TV, going for strolls in the city park, going to the beach for a swim. She was willing to give up those things in order to get what she wanted. And she was willing to work very very hard to make it happen. She's a not so reluctant hero.

Most people don't fit Jane Goodall's mold. More are like Luke: knowing what they want, but unwilling to acknowledge the cost of getting it. Even more don't know what they want, or haven't articulated it to the point that they can actually do anything about it. Knowing the answers to these questions can be a powerful thing.

I'm just curious.

i have been trying hard from childhood to make friends. I was always lonely, isolated but then i read lots of books How to win friends and influence people etc...its now that i am able to hold onto friends.
I dont have group or anything just 1-2 acquaintances.

JOb also im not able to hold onto and i have lot of family responsibilites so i cant go out and work i have to stay back.

Weekend getaways i would love to but my hubby is too lazy and tired by weekend. So i usually go with my son to the mall