Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 8:24 am

If you are like me, you may have a build-up of ear wax inside your ear canal. For some reason, I never learned how to get it out until just recently, when I had to go to the doctor to remove it because it had made me half deaf. I wish someone had told me earlier.

Easiest Way To Remove Ear Wax

1. Equipment
All you need is a cup or mug, a bowl, and an ear syringe. The syringe can be bought at any pharmacy and looks like this:
http://well.ca/products/pharmasystem-in ... _9656.html

2. Procedure
First, take a nice long bath or shower, making sure that the warm water enters both ears. Soak for at least a half hour or longer. Then fill the mug with warm water, and draw the water up into the ear syringe to fill the bulb. Tipping your head to the side so that one ear faces down, hold the empty bowl against your neck just below your ear to catch the outflow. Place the tip of the syringe into your ear canal, but not too deep. Then press the bulb as hard and quickly as you can, to force a fast flow of water into your ear canal. You will hear a loud swishing sound but it doesn't hurt at all. The first time the wax may only come out a little bit, so repeat 2 - 4 times. You may get brown chunks of wax in the water that runs out into the bowl, which you can then dispose of (or stare at in fascination). All the water should run out at once, but if you feel like there's still water in your ear just jump up and down violently and that will release it.

Ear Candling

Have you ever heard of ear-candling? These are long tapered wax cones which you set the narrow end into your ear canal, then have someone light the opposite end and it burns like a candle. Ear candles are sold in many health food stores and it is claimed that they get rid of ear wax and other "toxins". In fact, if you do this you will see what appears to be a large amount of yellowish/brown ear wax that looks like it was removed from your ear, stuck to the inside surface of the unburned part of the cone. Most people become fascinated at the large amount of gunk that appears to have been removed.

But I was skeptical, and decided to do an experiment. I lit several ear-candles without placing them into anyone's ears, and let them burn as usual. Just as I suspected, every candle had the same amount of what looked just like ear wax inside it. The candles themselves are designed to burn leaving a sticky brown/yellow residue at the opposite end. It is wax, but not EAR wax!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 8:54 am

MollyTroubletail wrote:
...Ear Candling

Have you ever heard of ear-candling? These are long tapered wax cones which you set the narrow end into your ear canal, then have someone light the opposite end and it burns like a candle. Ear candles are sold in many health food stores and it is claimed that they get rid of ear wax and other "toxins". In fact, if you do this you will see what appears to be a large amount of yellowish/brown ear wax that looks like it was removed from your ear, stuck to the inside surface of the unburned part of the cone. Most people become fascinated at the large amount of gunk that appears to have been removed.

But I was skeptical, and decided to do an experiment. I lit several ear-candles without placing them into anyone's ears, and let them burn as usual. Just as I suspected, every candle had the same amount of what looked just like ear wax inside it. The candles themselves are designed to burn leaving a sticky brown/yellow residue at the opposite end. It is wax, but not EAR wax!

YAY!! !

Welcome to the world of Skeptical Inquiry!

Here is an excerpt from an article that was first published on the Health Canada website:

Quote:
Why Candling Can't Work

Since wax is sticky, the negative pressure needed to pull wax from the canal would have to be so powerful that it would rupture the eardrum in the process. However, candling produces no vacuum. Researchers who measured the pressure during candling of ear models found that no negative pressure was created. The same investigators candled eight ears and found that no ear wax was removed and candle wax was actually deposited in some of them!

Candling poses several dangers, the most serious of which involve burning caused by the hot wax. Candle manufacturers claim that their candles will drip only down the outside of the ear, but shamefully few direct the user to hold the candle horizontally to prevent this. A 1996 survey of 144 ear, nose, and throat physicians, found that 14 had seen patients who had been harmed by ear candling, including at least 13 cases of external burns, 7 cases of ear canal obstruction with candle wax, and 1 perforated eardrum .

Alaska Fire Marshall Gary L. Powell has reported two instances of significant fires associated with ear candling., one of which led to the user's death. On January 27, 2005 a 59-year-old woman ignited her bedding when she dropped an ear candle that she was attempting to use the ear without any assistance. The candle ignited the bedding and quickly spread to curtains and other combustibles in the room. The woman did escaped but suffered an asthma attack and died in a hospital emergency room .

Compacted ear wax should be removed by a physician or other health professional using legitimate instruments. Candling is both ineffective and dangerous.

Please continue your investigations, and post them wherever you can!

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 9:29 am

I remember having the first one done to me by the doctor when I was little. Is that normal? I wonder if my mother thought I had hearing problems. :lol:

aspie4jc
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2011, 11:01 am

There are other ways to do it. Drugstores sell ear wax removal kits. It is a bottle of oily solution and a bulb syringe. (Or you can buy the solution separately.)

1. Get an old towel and spread it out on a pillow.
2. Lay your head on the towel-covered pillow.
3. Open the solution bottle, and put the tip carefully into your ear.
4. Squeeze the bottle gently, and let 5-10 drops slide into your ear canal.
5. Lay still for a few minutes. You will hear a fizzing sound, but don't worry or freak out. That tells you it is dissolving the ear wax buildup.
6. You can now use the bulb syringe to remove the liquid, or just take a shower to wash it out.
7. Repeat as needed.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 11:50 am

My doctor recommended something like that called Debrox it seems to work for me. Though it feels extremely weird going in there.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 12:17 pm

I use a special type of soapy spray, available from the pharmacist. Squirt a little into your ear canal every week or two and it dissolves and clears the ear wax easily and without risk of doing any damage to the ear drum.

Ear syringing is not available in the UK now, or rather very rarely done due to the risks of damaging the ear drum.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

I had glue ear as a baby and constant infections as a child, teenager and adult. I've ruptured my ear drums many times. One of them is beyond repair (I could have an operation that might not work) and I have hearing loss in that ear. I've had my ears syringed many times and the last time (I think my drum was perforated) was agony. Thank goodness they do not do that any more.

I now put a few drops of olive oil down my ears and the wax slides down; I can then clean it out at the front of my ear. I still have problems, though.

I've also had my ears candled (my Mum was willing to try anything). It's a waste of time and money and quite dangerous, though I was okay.