Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 9:49 pm

There was an article about a very unusual case where a 53-year old Mexican immigrant raped an old lady about 20 years his senior and died soon after. And people are acting like it's a f****ing miracle. Here's a link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110614/ts ... -container

I was the ONLY person I saw that commented on how we shouldn't gloat over this. I mean sure I totally get that it looks like Karma in action, though personally I don't think rape, even of an old lady is deserving of death, I can understand why people would feel that way. But still, saying the person should burn in hell and gloating and being thrilled he died is pretty pathological, the man who did this was obviously severely mentally ill - it disturbs me that if Yahoo News commenters and thumbers are representative of human beings in general, that most people really DO believe 'two wrongs make a right' and that forgiveness and mercy are basically BS.

See - it would be appropriate to gloat if the man was tried and convicted in a court of law for the rape, and was sentenced to years in jail time and life-time supervision. That would be justice and I don't think anyone would disagree with that unless they were a rapist or just ridiculously naive. I don't even think we should have gloated over Bin Laden's death like we did (especially considering I'm not even sure he did 9/11 but that's another topic altogether).

If 99% of human beings are really this vengeful, then honestly, I want no part of the human race. Righteous hatred is still hatred, and it's still evil, and the only people that can't be forgiven are people who are too stubborn to forgive. I don't forgive this man per se but by 'forgive' I guess in this case I just mean feel a tiny tiny bit of compassion enough not to wish them eternal suffering.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 10:01 pm

Really? Anyone who commits such heinous crimes must be mentally ill cuz you can't fathom that they're simply inconsiderate pricks? Rapists typically cover their tracks and conveniently do their dirt when the opportunity presents itself. This demonstrates pre-planning and as we all know, pre-planning requires a grasp of reality and a degree of impulse control. Insanity has to do with one's grasp of reality, not how much harm they're capable of inflicting on others. He seems like a typical rapist to me and there's no evidence of him being mentally ill. I may be part of the 99% that makes you lose faith in humanity, but I feel that humanity is a lot better off without a child molesting rapist piece of s**t like him.

http://members.cox.net/samenow/concept.html

These articles are a good read for you to get a grasp on a criminal mindset.

Last edited by AceOfSpades on 14 Jun 2011, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 10:04 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Really? Anyone who commits such heinous crimes must be mentally ill cuz you can't fathom that they're simply inconsiderate pricks? Rapists typically cover their tracks and conveniently do their dirt when the opportunity presents itself. Insanity has to do with one's grasp of reality, not how much harm they're capable of inflicting on others. That sounds like pre-planning to me and as we all know, pre-planning requires a grasp of reality and a degree of impulse control. I may be part of the 99% that makes you lose faith in humanity, but I feel that humanity is a lot better off without a child molesting rapist piece of sh** like him.

Yes because most people have compassion, empathy and inhibition built into them ... people who become criminals are lacking this. It is a physical fault in their brain. They have even done studies on serial killers and have found this. Personally I disagree that pre-planning means a person is sane ... i mean Jared Loughner definitely planned his crime, but there is noooo wayyyy that guy is anywhere close to sane or has a grip on reality. I have seen his posts on Abovetopsecret (which I am a member of) and that place has a lot of 'far out' people but NONE of them understood anything he had to say.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm

Let's see...this guy was a registered sex offender. So obviously this isn't the only time he did something horrible to another person. And worse than being raped, he fondled her while complaining he wasn't feeling well? I'd say the guy got exactly what he deserved. I've been raped. I've had to live with the nightmares too. Sex offenders tend to think they're doing the victim a favor. Rape isn't about sex it's about power & intimidation. If this had happened to one of your family members would you think society was too harsh on this guy? Personally, I'd think you'd be glad he's dead. He can't hurt anyone else anymore.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 10:10 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
Let's see...this guy was a registered sex offender. So obviously this isn't the only time he did something horrible to another person. And worse than being raped, he fondled her while complaining he wasn't feeling well? I'd say the guy got exactly what he deserved. I've been raped. I've had to live with the nightmares too. Sex offenders tend to think they're doing the victim a favor. Rape isn't about sex it's about power & intimidation. If this had happened to one of your family members would you think society was too harsh on this guy? Personally, I'd think you'd be glad he's dead. He can't hurt anyone else anymore.

His actions are horrible but I don't think revenge is EVER the right course. ever!

people always say "if your family was hurt you would want revenge". 'revenge is good for families!' 'nothing honors a victim like a dead body of a criminal'. i mean what kind of race are we? is 99.9% of humanity either criminals or 'eye for an eyers'?

Last edited by donnie_darko on 14 Jun 2011, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 10:12 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
tomboy4good wrote:

His actions are horrible but I don't think revenge is EVER the right course. ever!

What revenge? He croaked on his own.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 10:12 pm

tomboy4good wrote:

What revenge? He croaked on his own.

I would consider hateful feelings a form of revenge. speaking in the sense of 'within people's hearts'

i take it you're a fan of the Death Penalty?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 10:17 pm

Be careful about generalizing from one incident to "most people". That he was Mexican does not say anything about other Mexicans.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 10:23 pm

Sand wrote:
Be careful about generalizing from one incident to "most people". That he was Mexican does not say anything about other Mexicans.

I'm not talking about Mexicans but I agree. i also think there's a racist overtone to all this. a guy who is both a pedophile AND an illegal is gonna be hated in America more than Bin Laden and the Federal Reserve put together! :D

I'm talking about the 99% of people on Yahoo News who were saying they were happy he was dead. IDK it kind of disturbs me to think that's what virtually everyone believes. I mean even when Bin Laden died a good 30% or so were saying we shouldn't gloat and that when anyone dies it's sad in a way. But this guy, he didn't do anything nearly as bad as Sept 11 and pretty much everyone is gloating.

I'm not outraged about the original event because I know that sadly, once in a while, things like that happen. But they don't represent the majority of humans, the majority of humans thankfully condemn rape - however sadly, most humans seem to condone revenge and reject mercy. After all our history proves that right?

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 10:29 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Really? Anyone who commits such heinous crimes must be mentally ill cuz you can't fathom that they're simply inconsiderate pricks? Rapists typically cover their tracks and conveniently do their dirt when the opportunity presents itself. Insanity has to do with one's grasp of reality, not how much harm they're capable of inflicting on others. That sounds like pre-planning to me and as we all know, pre-planning requires a grasp of reality and a degree of impulse control. I may be part of the 99% that makes you lose faith in humanity, but I feel that humanity is a lot better off without a child molesting rapist piece of sh** like him.

Yes because most people have compassion, empathy and inhibition built into them ... people who become criminals are lacking this. It is a physical fault in their brain. They have even done studies on serial killers and have found this. Personally I disagree that pre-planning means a person is sane ... i mean Jared Loughner definitely planned his crime, but there is noooo wayyyy that guy is anywhere close to sane or has a grip on reality.
Pack a gun... drive to the location... and open fire regardless of how many witnesses are in the vicinity. There isn't a whole bunch of pre-planning involved in that. I should've been clearer. I didn't mean that there is absolutely no pre-planning involved, but covering up your tracks and committing a crime when the opportunity presents itself requires more than just rudimentary pre-planning. He didn't wait for the perfect opportunity, he just went out blazing.

As for empathy and compassion, those are both irrelevant. Sociopath and typical crooks alike demonstrate a capacity for self-restraint whenever they're either likely to get caught for the crime or face another immediate consequence for it (getting killed by the victim, not having a good escape route, etc.). If they do commit a crime, they will take measures to prevent getting caught and typically cover up their tracks, further demonstrating self-restraint. Since they are capable of restraining themselves and have a grasp of reality, they are held responsible for their actions. They make the choice to commit crimes, they aren't forced to do so by some uncontrollable urge. As I've explained with the whole self-restraint talk, those are perfect examples of why the notion of uncontrollable urges forcing people to commit crimes is BS in the face of crimes that demonstrate conscious calculation.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
As for empathy and compassion, those are both irrelevant. Sociopath and typical crooks alike demonstrate a capacity for self-restraint whenever they're either likely to get caught for the crime or face another immediate consequence for it (getting killed by the victim, not having a good escape route, etc.). If they do commit a crime, they will take measures to prevent getting caught and typically cover up their tracks, further demonstrating self-restraint. Since they are capable of restraining themselves and have a grasp of reality, they are held responsible for their actions. They make the choice to commit crimes, they aren't forced to do so by some uncontrollable urge. As I've explained with the whole self-restraint talk, those are perfect examples of why the notion of uncontrollable urges forcing people to commit crimes is BS in the face of crimes that demonstrate calculation.

i think you just want to justify your righteous hatred. let me ask you this - can sociopaths CHOOSE to be good? i mean really? people's actions are a consquence not of some free 'x factor' agent but of their nature, if you have a pathologically selfish nature - can you really choose to be a good person without some kind of selfish incentive to do so? I would argue no, and that sociopaths for that reason are pretty much doomed to be nasty people.

the reason they hide their tracks is because while their emotional capacity is compromised, their logical survival capacity is not. it's not because they're 'plain evil' or 'cowards' or whatever.

Hating sociopaths is utterly pointless and for that reason, it is no more justified than hating innocent people is. It's like hating a rabid bear or something for eating campers. Sociopaths (if violent) should be contained until there's a technological way to fix their brain wiring. Did you know that head trauma can completely change a person's morality if it occurs in the correct way?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 11:44 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
Hating sociopaths is utterly pointless and for that reason, it is no more justified than hating innocent people is. It's like hating a rabid bear or something for eating campers. Sociopaths (if violent) should be contained until there's a technological way to fix their brain wiring. Did you know that head trauma can completely change a person's morality if it occurs in the correct way?

Hating someone or some group and killing them to get rid of them are 2 completely different matters.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 11:49 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Hating someone or some group and killing them to get rid of them are 2 completely different matters.

Well most of the ppl on that article said they wish he suffered more, and that he burned in hell. If that isn't hate I don't know what is?

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 1:18 am

commenting systems that aren't shaped to support a community and dialog as employed on yahoo, aol, and other sites have allowed the vile to hide behind a screen name. I don't like using my real name on other sites like NYT- but it is effective. WP's format works because we see each other every day, a community is formed, and there's some level of social accountability.

I occasionally like to dump on racist, sexist, or xenophobic commenters on youtube, but generally, I avoid them on sites where the commenting system doesn't support dialog.

As for the guy, I wouldn't want him dead - via criminal justice system - for what he did, but am glad that he's dead anyways. I am rather rigid when it comes to children and the elderly and he's sexually abused both.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 1:26 am

tomboy4good wrote:

The majority of rapes are not about power unless the power you are speaking about is the power to get sex. It's not about intimidation though it does play a role to get sex.

I do agree though on the outcome, i'm happy he died. If you are a miserable person, keep that to yourself. There are a lot of psycho sicko's who keep their perversion to themselves. God Bless'em. Get help of course, but in the final analysis, your inaction helps make the world a better place.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 6:05 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
Really? Anyone who commits such heinous crimes must be mentally ill cuz you can't fathom that they're simply inconsiderate pricks? Rapists typically cover their tracks and conveniently do their dirt when the opportunity presents itself. This demonstrates pre-planning and as we all know, pre-planning requires a grasp of reality and a degree of impulse control. Insanity has to do with one's grasp of reality, not how much harm they're capable of inflicting on others. He seems like a typical rapist to me and there's no evidence of him being mentally ill. I may be part of the 99% that makes you lose faith in humanity, but I feel that humanity is a lot better off without a child molesting rapist piece of sh** like him.

http://members.cox.net/samenow/concept.html

These articles are a good read for you to get a grasp on a criminal mindset.

This.

And...
violent sadists being put up rent and utilities free by the state for life with cable, college certification opportunities, watercolor classes, and Sunday church service is "justice"? Were that I was so lucky as to be a rapist.

No. Pliers. Blowtorch. Salt.

to his Interest."