Duke Nukem Forever getting a bad reputation for nothing?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2011, 7:56 pm

I think alot of folks out there, individuals, game reviewers and the like are panning Duke Nukem Forever for many WRONG reasons. Some of them include the game being dated, has flaws, not in-tune with today's crop FPS games etc. I for one LOVE this game. it may be cheezy when Duke says a 90's catch phrase when he destroys aliens and such but I crack a smile every time he does it. "In order for something to be perfect, it must be flawed" and i consider this game to be perfect as best as Gearbox Software intended it to be. Duke Nukem Forver wins my game of the year award just for the fact it came OUT!

Last edited by cyberfox007 on 22 Jun 2011, 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 8:45 pm

The only reason it came out was because the developers were going to get sued if they didn't release something. As they should have been. IMO if you get paid for 12 years to create a product that should have been finished a decade ago you deserve to get sued for all the money you have.

TheSnarkKnight
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2011, 8:45 pm

I haven't played the game yet (I'm dying to, but my PS3 broke), but it seems the overall impression on the internet is that the critics hate it, while the general audiences like it. I think part of it might be hype backlash for all the developments and delays that happened over the last 14 years. It seems like the overall tone of the game makes up for its shortcomings. Postal 2 was like that (I love that game)--subpar gameplay, but enough comic mischief to make up for it.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:13 pm

Looked cool to me, and pretty much what I wanted/expected.

A modern version of the classic game.

Can't wait to play it.......

Too many FPS copy cats anyways these days

Nice for a game to go back to basics, and simplicity.

One thing is...I would have liked more guns?

(though there might be more....i just watched a video showing the guns and they could have left some out)

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

I think a lot of people(kids) forgot the root of games. Its not how good it looks(mario) Its not the story (its an FPS WHY DOES IT NEED A STORY?) Or how many different weapons you can use....

(liveandletdie only one new weapon so and thats a sniper)

Its how much fun it is. Its all jokes about it self, how long it took. The end of the world what will duke do first? save the girls.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 10:33 pm

mesona wrote:
Its how much fun it is. Its all jokes about it self, how long it took. The end of the world what will duke do first? save the girls.

OK, so how is the game any good if it's not even fun?

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 6:13 am

I'm one of those people who dislike it. :D

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 6:36 am

I completely agree, there is no need for this negative criticism.

Duke Nukem Forever is awesome, screw the graphics, the frame rate, the cheesy one-liners or the fact you can't carry 10 guns this time (that would be too easy though, wouldn't it? Duh!), I'm just so over the moon that it exists! I lowered my expectations before playing it because I knew that obviously, nothing can ever be worth waiting 15 years for, spare time-travel.

I myself couldn't expect more than I already did for it, and am satisfied with it :D

All the original weapons and enemies and urinating in toilets brought me back to the good old days when I was 6 years old, playing Duke Nukem 3D and listening to Snoop Dogg :lol:

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 8:44 am

I myself liked it, I was rather surprised that most critics were saying so bad things about ut, though I was very happy to see that the video game tv show 'Good Game' gave it a rather positive review except for load times and a mention of slightly funny controls. I always trust Good Game's reviews as they actually sound like gamers rather than just faces that will give positive reviews to popular games, and negative reviews what would be popular to hate.

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2011, 3:58 pm

dunbots wrote:
mesona wrote:

I am saying a game should be judged by how fun it is(and it is fun)

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 4:09 pm

mesona wrote:
dunbots wrote:
mesona wrote:

I am saying a game should be judged by how fun it is(and it is fun)

Since when is "fun" an objective measurement?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 4:13 am

So some found it fun while others have not, tastes are always relative anyway. I personally found it fun, parts I enjoy blowing enemies apart with the shotgun or sniper, aswell as the strategic use of explosives (hitting as many as possible). Pipebombs are realy fun to use rather than a plane grenade as timing is a big part, some of the battles from bombs turrets or rockets have a nice mix between overpowered yet also a challenge. Duke may be corny and a bit of a bad influence, but he is fun, he can go through some really bad event, but instead say a one liner makeing it look like childs play, or complain about his bear.

What did you not like about it Dunbots, or not find fun? Did you play the original Duke Nukem 3D?

I personally don't like realistic shooters, I get a bit bored with Black Ops, but have fun with a powersuited supersoldeir, a gun with a chainsaw, or evil shadow tenticles, and Duke Nukem fits right in with ripping aliens apart with also weapons like a freeze or shrink ray.

Tosoth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2011, 5:52 pm

My personal take is that I got a game that was about what I was expecting, it made me laugh a bunch of times, and it has a pretty damned fun multiplayer component. Whilst I can agree that it isn't perfect, it's nowhere near as bad as some reviewers put it (3/10? That's as much of a lie as saying that all the fish in the world live in the trees of southern Denmark).

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2011, 12:40 am

has any one got into mutiplayer on this game? I have been waiting two hours...

HoodedShadow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2011, 2:47 am

mesona wrote:

Sounds like your firewall blocks it from connecting you. Have you tried server browser if you even see any servers?

Email address: http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhid ... 0lSIA-uw==

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2011, 11:04 am

HoodedShadow wrote:
mesona wrote:

Sounds like your firewall blocks it from connecting you. Have you tried server browser if you even see any servers?

I have played other games online(bioshock and tron) and use netlifex and the PSN store.