Am I? Would it be worth it to be diagnosed?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Gwenwyn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2011, 12:37 am

Oh first off! Hi! New here. o.o

So, I know theres a lot of tendency to self-diagnose. Depending on which criteria, I either do or do not have aspergers. Eh, about me...

-I cannot read faces except for certain loved ones or very obvious cues (tears)
-I don't comprehend social norms. I do know what many are - for instance, I know that many
people are made uncomfortable by subcultural expressions.
-I am obsessive, but about many things. That is, right now I am learning latin. In a few months, I will probably be trying to learn the violin. Last year I read a lot of classical literature.
-I don't tend to follow social norms. I get distressed if I am supposed to not do something that makes me happy, that is otherwise harmless to others, just to comply.
-I find sounds that I did not volunteer for exceptionally distracting.
-Loud noises, crowds, and bright or flashing lights give me panic attacks and make me cry
-I hate new foods and new situations. I can only wake up to one alarm clock, and still eat lunchables though I am 24.
-I am incredibly emotional, but feel emotions lack logic and thus should be treated with compassion but with the knowledge that they are indicative of my true 'feelings.'
-I am at the high end of the introversion spectrum. I like people but can't really communicate. People talk to me at work and its often like we speak different languages. However, I've noted this is not a problem with the 'odd' people I consider my friends.

Thus with the above and other like traits I find that I may have aspergers, but may also be overly sensitive to things which may just as easily be attributed to my extreme introversion and unusual desire for learning. I am uncertain what would be gained by being diagnosed with aspergers. On the one hand I could explain to employers my endless terror of phones (if I don't script the call out before I make it, I almost cry, and tend to secretly unplug the phone during the day to keep it from ringing. It never stops!!) - I could also explain why I do not socialize with the others or seem distant.

On the other hand, I very much like myself. I am not unhappy being me, I just get incredibly frustrated with the illogical and inconsistent norms of society. I have a set of friends that makes me happy, and have found subsets of people who tend to be like me (i.e. we all have mental health issues, so relate fairly well for some reason. Woot for cartoons!).

Tell me, if I do not intend to get treatment - except possibly help on socializing more conventionally - is it worthwhile to determine if I have aspergers? And, for that matter, do you feel less lonely being on here, knowing others are like you?

Oh uh, as a side note, my family is against mental health stuff. When I had depression my mother said crying was manipulative. And if it makes a difference - my EQSQ scores are 25/115... Meh. -shrug-

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 2:55 am

No. no - wait. Extreme introversion and an unusual desire for learning are characteristic of aspergers. Odds are, you're one of us.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 2:58 am

Back to the question: will diagnosis do you any good? It's uncertain - sometimes replacing generalised confusion with some sort of certainty helps. Sometimes, not having to worry about that any more means more enthusiasm to spend on something that might help. If you're still involved with the education system, the diagnosis can give you access to more support. Even if you can't do anything for your own situation, you might be able to help someone else. Who knows?

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 3:02 am

Nobody here can decide for you. But if you think you have it, you should stick around here and see for sure. You'll probably learn a lot, I know I have.

DreamSofa
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2011, 6:33 am

It might be worth seeking a diagnosis if you feel that having one would help you.

Do keep in mind, too, that a psychologist / psychiatrist might ask your parents for information about what you were like as a baby and child.

When I was assessed, I was told that the clinical diagnosis was Asperger's but that this would not be confirmed until someone who knew my developmental history was interviewed. It was only after my father had an in-depth discussion with the psychologist that an official diagnosis was made.

Gwenwyn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2011, 10:22 am

Thank you for your replies :) I think, from the perspective of helping others with similar problems, I can see the merit in getting diagnosed.

Pram
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jul 2011, 1:42 pm

Gwenwyn wrote:
When I had depression my mother said crying was manipulative.

My dad said the same thing when I cut myself to relieve how he made me feel emotionally. Family members can be callous when they feel uncomfortable with a situation they can't control. Especially a medical/mental health one. Granted, I haven't cut myself in 15 years, having found music as a healthier outlet to get aggression out. But when I was doing it, I wasn't thinking "this will show him what he does to me inside"... It was more like "F-me, I deserve to hurt".

What ended that, surprisingly, was not the music I was making but the fact that I turned to snapping myself with thick rubber bands instead of cutting. Those hurt much worse, and while they didn't leave scars, the immediate welts they left were enough for me to see what I was doing to myself.