Fear of some animals and forcing contact with them

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2011, 1:42 pm

Except cats, I don't like much animals. When i was little i was scared by animals (except cats), especially i feared dogs, even little dogs. Because of this my grandfather and my father forced me to take contact with grandfather dog ( a female German Shepherd) and i had to stay calm near the dog and to pet her. They failed.
Now i hate to have animals around. Cats make an exception, i love to have cats around (I currently own two cats)

Have you expreienced fear toward animals? Have you been forced to have contact with animals? Your fear has been resolved?

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 2:11 pm

I'm the same as you. Except for cats, animals generally make me uncomfortable, I'm not scared of most animals, they only exception is dogs. I was forced to be in contact with one of my grandparent's neighbour's dogs, which was a black lab. That worked fine, but I am still scared around dogs. Especially, since the next time, I saw the black lab and smelled me, he went crazy. Also, one of my grandparent's other neighbours, wanted me to meet their dog, who was very jumpy and excitable (not the best type of dog to get someone who is afraid of dogs to meet to try and get over their fear). She also kept insisting that I go up to her house and see the dog, over and over again at a party at my grandparent's place. I think she was a little bit drunk because she seemed to be forgetting that I already said that I didn't want to go to her place.

I am starting to resolve my fear around dogs on leashes, that aren't pulling on their leash, trying to get away from their owner. Dogs off-leash, are still a problem for the most part, unless the owner has good control over them or they are very well trained. I don't like it when owners just let the dogs wander around a public area, unless it's a dog park or something. A person who is scared of dogs, probably wouldn't want to hang out at a dog park.

On Friday, I had to go to the Palliative Care unit at the hospital. You are allowed to bring dogs in because the people in there are going to die soon and if they are with their pets, they may feel comfortable. I think some people just bring their dog there because they are allowed and they want to be with their dog though. This person, was living in the hospital, because their mom was in there and they weren't from the location where the hospital was. He brought his Russell Terrier dog and they just let it wander around the outside area. They weren't paying any attention to it. Most of my family was there when I was there and all the chairs at the front of the room were taken, so I had to sit in the chair closest to the outside. The dog LOVED people and couldn't understand that people may not want him around them, the dog ran inside, saw me and wanted me to play with him, I didn't know what he was going to do, so he made me nervous. Not to mention that I was more sensitive because I got up at 5:00 AM that morning.

Long post, I know, but, the it was kind of a long story.

tuffy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2011, 2:26 pm

Real animals are too unpredictable, they don't necessarily scare me, but they do make me uncomfortable.
I love stuffed toy animals though. ^^

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 2:55 pm

I'm not normally afraid of animals (well, except for the rattlesnakes in the desert around my house). But recent experiences can totally color one's feelings.

A couple of weeks ago I was attacked and badly bitten by a dog while walking in a city park. The dog was on a leash at the time, but the dog had apparently always been very mild-mannered and the owner was not expecting such an outburst, so was taken by surprise.

Anyway, the net result is that now I have to fight my fear of being attacked again. I don't especially care for this feeling, either.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

I don't care for animals all that much, but I'm not afraid of them either. I'm just saying, if I got in a fight with a dog, I'd probably win. Well, most dogs at least. Sure, they have teeth, but as a human, I have many advantages as well.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 6:29 pm

i'm scared of most animals when they're close. mostly ones with fur

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 7:45 pm

Nordlys wrote:
. . . Because of this my grandfather and my father forced me to take contact with grandfather dog ( a female German Shepherd) and i had to stay calm near the dog and to pet her. They failed. . .

Perhaps they were well-intended, but I think this is wrong. It's wrong to try and force a person into contact with something they're afraid of.

The clear better alternative is just to ask. Perhaps your grandfather could have securely held the dog and then just asked if you wanted to pet her.

And as adults, I think it makes much more sense to kind of "dance" a fear as it were, rather than try and force ourselves.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:01 pm

CaroleTucson wrote:
. . . A couple of weeks ago I was attacked and badly bitten by a dog while walking in a city park. The dog was on a leash at the time, but the dog had apparently always been very mild-mannered and the owner was not expecting such an outburst, so was taken by surprise.

Anyway, the net result is that now I have to fight my fear of being attacked again. I don't especially care for this feeling, either.

I think that is an entirely normal response to something recent and traumatic.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:17 pm

I like animals in general.....I don't particularly like insects, spiders or anything like that to craw on me.....but there aren't really any animals I dislike or fear. I guess if I came face to face with a Mountain Lion or something I might experience fear I still think they are awesome though.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:32 pm

Anything that is lower than my knees I can't accept. Like chihuahuas, because their barking give me a near breakdown(I have pretty good control.) but toy poodles, cats and large, large dogs are fine.
Insects are not.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:32 pm

I've never had this problem. I don't like dogs very much because their movements make me sea sick. I perfer animals without fur unless it's something you don't see very often like a meerkat or a tiger. I plan to get a tiger if I never get my own meerkat. Something that could protect me or at least make people afraid of me. People tell me that a tiger would be dangerous, but after what I have been through with people, I'd trust a T-Rex before I trusted another human being ever again. I've always wanted a pet tiger because I thought it would make people avoid me and make them too afraid to try to harass me. Pit bulls are loosing their stigma so I need something people don't have too often that they will be afraid of.

Anyway, I've never been afraid of any animal. I even like insects and invertebrates more than I do people.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 8:35 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I've never had this problem. I don't like dogs very much because their movements make me sea sick. I perfer animals without fur unless it's something you don't see very often like a meerkat or a tiger. I plan to get a tiger if I never get my own meerkat. Something that could protect me or at least make people afraid of me. People tell me that a tiger would be dangerous, but after what I have been through with people, I'd trust a T-Rex before I trusted another human being ever again. I've always wanted a pet tiger because I thought it would make people avoid me and make them too afraid to try to harass me. Pit bulls are loosing their stigma so I need something people don't have too often that they will be afraid of.

Anyway, I've never been afraid of any animal. I even like insects and invertebrates more than I do people.

Get a tibetian mastiff, because 1 they are large, black, enormous, 2, they are ferociously loyal and 3, the name sounds cool.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 2:00 am

Nordlys wrote:
Except cats, I don't like much animals. When i was little i was scared by animals (except cats), especially i feared dogs, even little dogs. Because of this my grandfather and my father forced me to take contact with grandfather dog ( a female German Shepherd) and i had to stay calm near the dog and to pet her. They failed.
Now i hate to have animals around. Cats make an exception, i love to have cats around (I currently own two cats)

Have you expreienced fear toward animals? Have you been forced to have contact with animals? Your fear has been resolved?

I'm the other way around, i.e. I fear cats and love dogs :) Although my fear diminished significantly with age.