Is it normal for autistics handwriting to look like trash?

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Panic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Jul 2011, 5:41 pm

my handwriting suxks, want to know if anyone else has the same problem

AnonymousPasserBy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2011, 5:46 pm

Yes I'm practically the only one who can read my own handwriting, I've tried to write "nice" before but that just didn't work for me somehow.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

08 Jul 2011, 5:47 pm

Yes, it is actually. Although it can be improved.
I have a friend, Travis. He has classic autism. Although he does know how to read and write, his handwriting is barely legible. Mine is barely legible as well. :lol:

Negolin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Jul 2011, 5:51 pm

i think it's because our minds are on other things when righting....

for me, it's "when is lunch" "is it time to go home yet?" etc

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jul 2011, 5:53 pm

My handwriting is awful. Despite efforts over the years it's not improved much.

I'm usually pretty focused on it, but I just don't have the fine motor control or whatever to produce good handwriting for more than a sentence or so. Also, writing hurts.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 5:54 pm

Mine is not bad, but not as good as it used to be.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 5:55 pm

My hand writing was terrible until I was about 12. Then I saw a style of writing I liked and copied it. Now I can write neatly if I write quite slowly. If I try to write too quickly though I can't read what I have written myself lol. Also, I can't join my letters together. This is why I prefer typing as I can do that with more speed and it means I can keep up with my thoughts more easily.

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 5:57 pm

Mine looks like trash, its always looked like trash.

It was slightly better when I was on focusing medication but other then that, yea, my handwriting is trash.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:14 pm

My signature looks nice only because I take my time. I don't do s scribble like a lot of people do.

My print seems to have this crude look to it. Or rather it doesn't have the same consistency I see when I observe other people writing. In a way I think most people over time develop their own natural "Font" and I feel like I don't have that.

If I wrote just a capitol R several time in a row there would probably still be differences. Especially in any letter that has a loop like a R or P. The shape of the loop varies.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:16 pm

My handwriting is beautiful, a work of art. And a nightmare. I give more focus to writing nicely than to what I'm writing about. My college notes are beautifully presented, but I have no idea what's in them. It's also time consuming because if I make a mistake, then I have to rewrite the whole page.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:17 pm

Since I was 5 years old, my handwriting has been atrocious. I used to think it was because my mom forced me to use my right hand when I originally was left handed(and that might still be the cause) but now I understand that poor penmanship is an Aspie thing so I don't worry too much about it. Also, I don't know if anyone else does this, but I tend to write the first letter of something, and scribble the rest because I remember what I was thinking as I wrote it later.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:20 pm

My handwriting ranges from quite neat to utterly illegible. Often in the same sentence. There is no consistency.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:24 pm

YellowBanana wrote:
My handwriting ranges from quite neat to utterly illegible. Often in the same sentence. There is no consistency.

Exactly. For mine to be legible I have to write very slowly. It helps if I am copying something. So to make it legible, I would have to write it out, correct all the mistakes, then copy to a clean piece of paper. By copying it, I don't have to think about what word comes next. I can disconnect the verbal from the visual.

Guitarmaniac91
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jul 2011, 6:25 pm

Now here's what I don't get, my handwriting is absolutely terrible (I mean, it has slightly improved over the years, it's HAD to) but I can draw anything that's either put in front of me, or appears in my head.

Might be because in some ways writing is the same, but in others it isn't, I dunno how to explain it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jul 2011, 6:27 pm

I've come across other references to similar, Guitarmaniac91.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:01 pm

My handwriting is usually neat and almost always legible.