Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

olgalaloca
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jul 2011, 11:09 am

Hello
I have a french equivalent of asperger syndrom and I had a psychotic outbreak two years ago wich obliged me to take medicine but my doctors says I don't have any more psychotic symptom, I ve been put out of two gay organisation , the first one because the leader told me I was given a bad image of gay people ( it was six months before my episode) , the second because one of the leaders became award I was on antipsychotic and Got afraid I could become violent one day .
I never was put out of "non gay "organisation , I worked and all that, so I m a asking my self are gay leaders more intolerant towards non neuotypical people tha straigth people ?
Do you feel rejected by gay organisations like I do ?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 11:22 am

First, WELCOME ABOARD! :D

Second, what is the "French Equivalent" of AS?

Third, the LGBT organizations that I've had contact with were all elitist to a greater or lesser degree; that is, unless each of its members conformed to a narrow range of appearance, behavior, fashion, and speech, those members were marginalized and eventually discarded. It seems that as much as LGBT organizations fight for equal rights and recognition, they are so image-conscious as to disavow association with people that do not meet their standards of what an LGBT person "should" look, act, dress, and talk like.

In this respect, these LGBT organizations have much in common with the mainstream Christian organizations like Crystal Cathedral and the Trinity Broadcasting Network - only the prettiest, most talented, and most eloquent members are usually shown on camera and associated with these Christian organizations.

It seems that LGBTs and Christians have more in common than they realize!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

olgalaloca
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jul 2011, 11:38 am

it's called "dysharmonie evolutive " aspeger syndrome just does not exist for french mental health professionals.
Sometimes I cry when I see a gay couple or when I pass in front of a gay shop , I get suicidal taughts thinking some are allowed to be gay and not others, the last time I wen to a gay meeting I cried during all the meeting . It is a hard topic for me I want to die sometime because I know I will never ahve a girlfriend, the oonly thing that makes me alive is to know I was accepted for my forth year of study in a very good university to do a super interesant master of arts.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

Perhaps posting your troubles in "The Haven" (a forum on this website) would be more helpful.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 2:18 pm

Hi, welcome to WP! :D

One just never knows. You might get lucky and meet someone special in the most unlikeliest of places.

As far as medication, I know some people on WrongPlanet have talked about being diagnosed with 'schizotypal disorder' (or 'schizoaffective') which gets me thinking there's overlap either in the diagnosis or in the actual human condition. And a person on the spectrum certainly can have something else at the same time. I have read a fair amount about depression and a number of sources say the medication is hit or miss, something like Cymbalta might work great for some people, and hardly do a thing for other people. That in a very respectable sense, just given where the science is, it is trial and error.

Peace groups can be elitist and conformist, too. And that's disappointing.

(I do not happen to be gay myself. I'm a third party supporter. I certainly think gay people should have the same rights as everyone else. I caught this post listed on the main page as one of the new posts. Since you're thinking about hurting yourself, I am concerned. I hope it's okay for me to post here.)

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 2:44 pm

olgalaloca wrote:
. . . I ve been put out of two gay organisation , the first one because the leader told me I was given a bad image of gay people ( it was six months before my episode) , the second because one of the leaders became award I was on antipsychotic and Got afraid I could become violent one day . . .

That is just a blatant stereotype and the leader really ought to know better. Although people with mental illnesses are just people afterall and are individuals, and perhaps some less likely to commit violence and perhaps some more likely, I distinctly remember reading in a college psychology textbook that the average person with mental illness is actually somewhat less likely to commit violence than the average member of the general public. So there! And that so-called leader ought to already know that, or know to respectfully treat individuals as individuals.

In peace activism, well, I came to activism through studies in philosophy, that’s a little different. Plus, I talk differently with a more nasal voice than is typical for American society (South). And then, I kind of think we should appeal to the other side instead of looking at it as us versus them. All of this combined and probably more (and with Asperger’s, it’s hard to be aware of what you’re not aware of!), I was treated as a “weird guy” and kind of ostracized. Well, it's there loss, but it was also kind of my loss. sad :( , and at times infuriating :evil: . For we're supposed to be the good guys for crying out loud!

I’ve had somewhat more luck with more local politics and activism.

PS I would be interested in how the French look at this whole “dysharmonie evolutive.”

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

olgalaloca wrote:
I ve been put out of two gay organisation , the first one because the leader told me I was given a bad image of gay people ( it was six months before my episode) , the second because one of the leaders became award I was on antipsychotic and Got afraid I could become violent one day .
Huh. What idiots, and it's their loss.
It shows me they weren't worth bothering with in the first place and you're better off being away from that sort of hateful attitude.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 3:31 pm

I can't speak for the situation in France but here in the US the "mainstream" gay community is, unfortunately, not so accepting of difference. Or at least, there is a definite hierarchy. Some gays are more equal than others. (I'm deliberately using "gay" here because even though it often brands itself as the "LGBT community," bi people and especially trans people are, frankly, treated horribly much of the time.)

I don't think it's anything unique to the gay community, though. There's loads of internecine fighting here, too, for example...

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 4:03 pm

olgalaloca wrote:
'"dysharmonie evolutive "

wiki wrote:
Il s'agit d'un concept français créé par Roger Misés, proche de la notion d'état limite, notion chère aux anglo-saxons.

^^

That notion chère being borderline personality disorder? Heh. Sounds like this Misés guy has a pet theory. However I think I've seen other French people on here who are recognised with having ASDs so you might get better recognition from other mental health people. Assuming of course you do have an ASD rather than BPD.

Er, *ahem*, gay intolerance? I dunno. Think dougn's pretty much got it right.

The year is still young.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 4:21 pm

Sorry kid, but this is not anyone's "pet theory", it's based on fact - LGBT groups can be as elitist as any other groups, especially those groups seeking to promote a cause. Only those with a similar mindset and behavior pattern will be invited to lead (unless they have lots of money).

The hierarchical model seems to go something like this: there are the "Chosen Few" at the top, followed by the "Monitors" who lead the committees, with the "Wannabes" at the bottom doing all the work. The Chosen Few set the standards, the Monitors enforce them, and the Wannabes strive for acceptance without realizing that the standards were set mainly to keep the Wannabes at the bottom, the Chosen Few at the top, and the Monitors competing with each other to see who gets promoted into the upper echelon or demoted into the unwashed masses. In other words, it's all a power trip, especially for those at the top.

People seem to be naturally inclined to behave this way, no matter what groups they form - LGBT, Christian, Republicans, prisons, Democrats, theatre groups, Libertarians, Tea-Baggers, classrooms, cubicle farms, charities ... even homeless people tend to form hierarchies that are based on appearance, behavior, and the willingness to serve.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 5:46 pm

From my point of view, the "gay culture" seems to be made up of uber-NTs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 6:04 pm

Zen wrote:

To me, it's more like people with good fashion sense, yet affecting a state of intense narcissism pretentiously wrapped in delusional, yet frivolous self-centeredness.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 6:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
Sorry kid, but this is not anyone's "pet theory"

Please read the post next time; I was addressing the OP and referring to Misés and his "dysharmonie evolutive."

The year is still young.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 6:48 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sorry kid, but this is not anyone's "pet theory"

Please read the post next time; I was addressing the OP and referring to Misés and his "dysharmonie evolutive."

Oops. :oops: Sorry.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 8:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
People seem to be naturally inclined to behave this way, no matter what groups they form - LGBT, Christian, Republicans, prisons, Democrats, theatre groups, Libertarians, Tea-Baggers, classrooms, cubicle farms, charities ... even homeless people tend to form hierarchies that are based on appearance, behavior, and the willingness to serve.

Pretty much. I've encountered communities/groups that aren't really hierarchical but they tend to be the exception, not the rule. Also, they tend not to have a lot of money or power, i.e., not very much incentive to be at the top of the hierarchy. If there was someone would probably create one...

Zen wrote:

Yes. It seems to favor extremely extroverted people.

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 10:17 pm

olgalaloca wrote:
a french equivalent of asperger syndrom

LOL wat?