Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Digit lengths?
I have classic autism and my index finger is longer than my ring finger 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
I have classic autism and my index finger is shorter than my ring finger 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
I have classic autism and my index finger is about the same length as my ring finger 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
I have aspergers and my index finger is longer than my ring finger 12%  12%  [ 20 ]
I have aspergers and my index finger is shorter than my ring finger 30%  30%  [ 52 ]
I have aspergers and my index finger is about the same length as my ring finger 15%  15%  [ 25 ]
I have pddnos and my index finger is longer than my ring finger 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I have pddnos and my index finger is shorter than my ring finger 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
I have pddnos and my index finger is about the same length as my ring finger 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
I am self-dx or suspect I am on the spectrum and my index finger is longer than my ring finger 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
I am self-dx or suspect I am on the spectrum and my index finger is shorter than my ring finger 23%  23%  [ 40 ]
I am self-dx or suspect I am on the spectrum and my index finger is about the same length as my ring finger 5%  5%  [ 9 ]
I am nt and my index finger is longer than my ring finger 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
I am nt and my index finger is shorter than my ring finger 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I am nt and my index finger is about the same length as my ring finger 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 172

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 10:46 pm

I've read in several articles that digit ratios (ring finger significantly longer than index finger) can be indicative of autism. I am wondering how many people have read about this theory, and if this is generally universal? I am also adding a poll just for fun. :)

I was diagnosed with classic autism, but my finger is about two millimetres shorter than my index finger, so pretty much the same length (although my ring finger looks almost a centimetre shorter due to the way they are situated (measured them with a ruler for accuracy...yes, I need a life!). Anyway, I don't fit into this typical digit ratio for autism, but I do have moderate-functioning classic autism. So, what about you?

I am putting options in my poll for people professionally diagnosed with classic autism, aspergers, pddnos, as well as for those who are self-diagnosed, and for nts. It'll be long but I am curious of the breakdowns!

Edit:
I am now curious to know: if your ring finger is longer than your index finger and you have been diagnosed with an ASD, are you male or female?

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Last edited by littlelily613 on 21 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 3:29 am

I have not read conclusive information on digit ratios. My fourth digit is only 2mm longer than my index finger, which is 80mm, so I voted 'about the same'. Interesting poll, I hope you get a good response.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 4:55 am

I have not been professionally diagnosed.

These are my finger lengths measured from the edge of the palm of my hand:

Left hand:

• Index finger: 75mm
  • Ring finger: 80mm
Right hand:
  • Index finger: 74mm
  • Ring finger: 80mm

My ring fingers are much much longer than my index fingers. The lengths of my index fingers barely reach as far as the beginning of the proximal nail fold of my ring fingers, and do not reach as far as the proximal nail fold of my middle fingers.

Some people have mentioned that they have never seen hands whose ring fingers were so much longer than their index fingers compared to mine.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 5:26 am

I doubt the theory is true, but to feed your curiosity...

Index Finger: 71mm
Ring Finger: 73mm
For the right hand.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 11:09 am

I've heard theories about the difference in lengths of the ring finger vs index finger having to do with the amount of testosterone in the womb, so males tend to have longer ring fingers while females tend to have longer index fingers.

As there is a huge difference in proportion of people being diagnosed, I could see this easily having a bias from that.

However, personally, female, aspie, ring finger longer than index finger. Back in high school, when we were studying this, I was one of two females in the class who could claim that.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 11:46 am

My ring finger is just slightly longer than my index finger. By slightly, I mean by about a millimeter or two. Hardly even noticeable.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 12:29 pm

Right hand index: 73 mm
Right hand ring: 80 mm
Left hand index: 73
Left hand ring:77

average ratio of left and right: 0.932 (normal is between 0.985 to 0.995)

As bizarre as it sounds, this digit ratio thing has some science behind it. Seems speculative to me, but it is being researched.

http://fingerlengthdigitratio.wordpress.com/2008/10/01/finger-length-related-to-autism-low-digit-ratio-094/

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

Here is the scientific paper on it:

http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/doc ... g_etal.pdf

It is probably a case of: "this is frequently observed, but not universal". At least...it CAN'T be universal because it doesn't apply to me, and I DEFINITELY have autism.

One interesting thing that might be note-worthy, however, is that men usually have a longer ring finger than index finger. Since more men/boys are still diagnosed with autism, perhaps this is ONE of the reasons they have come to this conclusion. That being said, I am now interested to know: if your ring finger is longer than your index finger and you have been diagnosed with an ASD, are you male or female?

Edit: I forgot to add: thank you all for your contributions thus far!!

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

my index fingers are about 1/4" shorter then my ring fingers.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 1:43 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
Here is the scientific paper on it:

http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/doc ... g_etal.pdf

It is probably a case of: "this is frequently observed, but not universal". At least...it CAN'T be universal because it doesn't apply to me, and I DEFINITELY have autism.

One interesting thing that might be note-worthy, however, is that men usually have a longer ring finger than index finger. Since more men/boys are still diagnosed with autism, perhaps this is ONE of the reasons they have come to this conclusion. That being said, I am now interested to know: if your ring finger is longer than your index finger and you have been diagnosed with an ASD, are you male or female?

Edit: I forgot to add: thank you all for your contributions thus far!!

The paper says that 2d:4d ratio is a marker for autism, not necessarily diagnostic. It also shows that while males may normally have a different ration than women, autistics often fall well outside even that norm.

It is an interesting correlation. Does it mean anything? The paper was published in 2002. That's going on 10 years. I wonder if any followup studies have been done. That would be much more interesting. An initial result generates questions. Did anybody try to answer those questions?

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 2:05 pm

I am NT and I do have the ratio that many autistics do (long ring finger).

I'm a woman, so it's unusual, but it's the norm for NT men as well as autistic men.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 2:21 pm

Ring finger is about a cm longer than index finger.

Iloveshoujoai
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2011, 2:27 pm

I probably have a good amount of testosterone (which I would assume causes this). I'm male and have a very deep voice/ lots of body hair. Even so my index finger is longer than my ring finger, at least on my right hand. On my left hand it's very hard to tell which is longer.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 2:31 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
The paper says that 2d:4d ratio is a marker for autism, not necessarily diagnostic.

Yes, of course. I never thought it was diagnostic. Hope I it doesn't seem as though that is what I was implying (particularly since it would invalidate my own diagnosis!)

wavefreak58 wrote:
That's going on 10 years. I wonder if any followup studies have been done. That would be much more interesting. An initial result generates questions. Did anybody try to answer those questions?

I am not sure about that, but would definitely be interested in reading a more recent paper on it as well!

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

Iloveshoujoai wrote:
I probably have a good amount of testosterone (which I would assume causes this). I'm male and have a very deep voice/ lots of body hair. Even so my index finger is longer than my ring finger, at least on my right hand. On my left hand it's very hard to tell which is longer.

That is very interesting because they do say exposure to testosterone is what causes it.

HoodedShadow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jul 2011, 2:45 pm

Quote:
if your ring finger is longer than your index finger and you have been diagnosed with an ASD, are you male or female?

Index is shorter than ring finger, male

Email address: http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhid ... 0lSIA-uw==