heavy 29%  29%  [ 36 ]
heavy 29%  29%  [ 36 ]
moderate 15%  15%  [ 18 ]
moderate 15%  15%  [ 18 ]
light 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
light 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 124
03 Sep 2006, 8:11 pm

My period is light when I was on birth control but stopped taking them because I don't have a boyfriend anymore. Now my period is heavy but I don't mind it because I use tampons.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 8:32 pm

Hi Cali.

It depends for me.

When I was taking depo vovera for birth control they stopped completly.

Now I am fixed--and they are useless and still present.

I have really heavy ones as in hemorraging--or I have very light and bearable ones--all dependant on how much I am excersicing in life-playing hoops, kickboxing, jogging, being hyperactive-ect.

currently they are moderate because I'm not ready to be very healthy just yet.

But a few years ago when I discovered this pattern in myself I was really amazed.

Also, for me the length of time of period periods changes from 3 days (an excersiser) to 7 days (an obedient couch potato napper)

I am forced to work manually and work out for 3 hours most weeks in between couch potato sittings -thus the current 5 days moderate

I hate bleeding-especially when I no longer need or want the uterus in there.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 9:20 pm

Let me put it this way... I bleed so much that I am shocked each month that I don't drop dead 8O. But they are relatively short-- 4 or 5 days. The first days it is so heavy that I can't leave the house.

This is all since the birth of my last baby. Before that I would have periods that were light and went on forever and ever (10 days or more).

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 10:50 pm

en_una_isla wrote:
Let me put it this way... I bleed so much that I am shocked each month that I don't drop dead 8O. But they are relatively short-- 4 or 5 days. The first days it is so heavy that I can't leave the house.

This is all since the birth of my last baby. Before that I would have periods that were light and went on forever and ever (10 days or more).

Not that its any of my business, but have you ever discussed this with a doctor? Sounds like hormone imbalance. The ob-gyn tells me periods should be about 3 days so 4-5 days is not "relatively short".

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 11:43 am

As I'm on birth control pills, it's light while before then, the first day was the heaviest with moderate cramping.

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Sep 2006, 1:26 pm

Mine is moderate, always been 4-5 days long and slightly irregular. I get bad cramps for the first three days or so and that can be very hard.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 1:40 pm

If you get in habit of taking a magnesium supplement daily the cramps will not be as bad and for some women go away completely. I like the Slo-Mag brand and take it before bed time.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 5:01 pm

Is that daily while on the period or daily as in all month long-sounds great.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Sep 2006, 6:26 pm

ladies I also must say it depends on how old you are and what stage of life you are at.. meaning if you are in your mid to late 40's they can be pretty heavy. menapause. it also depends on if you have had children or not or if you have birth control pills. there are so many factors. when i was in my teens I had my periods so bad I could not stand to be alive. cramps, vomiting, pass out. then when the school nurse told my mom she had to get me some help they put me on birth control when i was 15. not for pregnancy but for the stabilizing of my periods. i was on it for many years and my periods were light. then after so many years of it i went off and my periods were never on time and very very heavy.. but they did not make me sick as I once was. then later on in life I had children and it cured the cramps. but I get very heavy periods for 2 days and on the 3rd its almost gone. i think if you do talk to most dr's to bleed for 5-6 days is not so off base.. you should not bleed very heavy that many days though.. diet and excerise makes a great deal of difference also..

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 7:23 pm

I tend to get moderate/heavy on the first day, then it eases off and by the third day it's light. I used to get cramps and would want to die, but after trying up to co-dydramol (had no effect) I discovered Ibuprofen, which actually works by suppressing the chemicals responsible for cramps / nausea / etc. So yay :)

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 11:28 pm

SeaBright wrote:
Is that daily while on the period or daily as in all month long-sounds great.

That's every day all month long. So all the time till you start menopause. Most people are deficient in magnesium so you will also be doing your whole body and especially the heart a favor by taking it. I was so glad when Walmart started selling Slo-Mag because they sell it so much cheaper. Start out 1 tablet at night and build up to two if you can tolerate it. Has a laxative effect in some people, but Slo-Mag is gentler in that respect than other kinds of magnesium because its a slow release formula.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 11:37 pm

I've also been told right before menopause bleeding gets heavier. Not something to look forward to huh? I bled very heavy when I first started and would bleed heavy 9 days straight until I my late 20's. But then it may have helped to when my new dr discovered I was hypothyroid because I think that causes heavy bleeding too. Long periods are also caused by low progesterone so its good to have your doctor do a thorough testing of all your hormones. Really there's no need to suffer when there are simple treatments.

Oh by the way another good cramp remedy is a herb called "Cramp Bark". Its usually available in the form of bark chips which you put in a tea strainer and make a hot tea. Its also available in pill form though not as easy to find. Its an anti-spasmodic is why it works on cramps. Ibuprofen quit easing my cramps. I'm on Voltaren for arthritis which is something stronger than Ibuprofen and even that doesn't ease the cramps. But the magnesium and cramp bark have been a life saver. Those Theraheat heating pads that stick to the inside of your panties are also good for easing cramps.

05 Sep 2006, 2:13 am

I'm 21 and my periods are heavy when they start but right now it seems light now or moderate. My tampons were hardly bloody when I took them out. I wear one of course. Then I changed it at work and it wasn't all bloody and my next tampon wasn't all bloody again but this time was less bloddy when I took it out before I got in the shower. When I was a teen, they were real bad. They were heavy periods I had I hated getting them.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 5:55 am

When I was at school (14 and 15) it was quite heavy. Since I went on the pill at 16 they have gotten lighter.

Sometimes they still don't start when they should.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 1:22 pm

Calico someone told me to be careful of wearing tampons when barely bleeding heavy because she got toxic shock syndrome that way. I never quite understood what it was but she was very ill with it. Also been told not to wear the same tampon more that 4 hrs. Anyway if you're bleeding just lightly I think you are suppose to wear only pads.

starling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2006, 1:32 pm

Musical_Lottie wrote:
I tend to get moderate/heavy on the first day, then it eases off and by the third day it's light.

I have it like this.

But this month I don't seem to be having a period. I started taking 10mg fluoxetine a day this month. Could that cause a menstruation stop?