Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Siaqey
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2011, 5:24 am

Sorry for the trouble but can someone tell me if these symptoms are for asperger's syndrome?
I can never get on with people and never know how to have a conversation.
I find it rather difficult to understand body expressions and understand what the others feel only by relating their problem withone of my problems and remembering how I felt.
Many think I that I don't care about them even if I do.
What I say is often considered in appropriate for the situstion.
I Dislike doing anything of which I am not informed some time before.
I Dislike noisy places.
I Rarely make eye contact.
I am Very very clumpsy.
Poor voice control.I am always either too loud or too soft.
My voice is sometimes singsong and sometimes monotonous
I fidget a lot.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However I do have few close friends.
I don't have much trouble in imagining stuff
I love fiction.
I HATE maths.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2011, 5:49 am

I am not as experienced on these forums as many others here but that sounds about it, almost like it was copied from a textbook :p

Siaqey
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2011, 7:14 am

Ummm..... That was surprising.I definitly DID NOT copy it from a textbook.Sorry if it look likes that.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 7:23 am

The first stuff is textbook, below the line is a little bit less standard but it's still seen in people with Asperger's Syndrome.

If you want to be sure, you can do a number of tests (Link to a thread with online tests) or you might consult a psychiatrist.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2011, 7:38 am

Do you have narrow, highly intense/focused interests? I suggest you look at the DSM criteria for AS.

Everything you described could also come about from bullying, low self-esteem, awkwardness due to lack of positive social experience, etc. Social problems do not necessarily equate to AS, as NT people can and do have social problems that can be fixed, whereas AS people have social problems due to neurological differences that impair Theory of Mind, ability to recognize facial expressions, sensory/auditory difficulties, etc.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 7:43 am

oceandrop wrote:
AS people have social problems due to neurological differences that impair Theory of Mind, ability to recognize facial expressions, sensory/auditory difficulties, etc.

This is a highly questionable assumption.

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2011, 7:47 am

Maje wrote:
oceandrop wrote:
AS people have social problems due to neurological differences that impair Theory of Mind, ability to recognize facial expressions, sensory/auditory difficulties, etc.

How so? Which part in particular do you regard as highly questionable?

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm

oceandrop wrote:
AS people have social problems due to neurological differences that impair Theory of Mind

According to a study (which can be read about in the book "Asperger Syndrome") this was one of the differences they found between people with true autism and true aspergers. Almost all subject with autism had impaired ToM, while the rates in those with Aspergers were no different in impairment from the control groups used.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm

It does sound like it was taken from a textbook (that does not mean I am saying you copied out of a textbook) because they are very direct. From the list you provided, it does sound as though you have symptoms of Aspergers. This could either be because of Aspergers or because of another condition that produces Aspergers-like symptoms (it does happen, and a variety of conditions can do this). I would suggest, if the symptoms are impacting your life, to go see a professional to find out for sure which it is for you.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 2:12 pm

oceandrop wrote:
Maje wrote:
oceandrop wrote:

The "impair" part.

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2011, 9:28 pm

Maje wrote:
oceandrop wrote:
Maje wrote:
oceandrop wrote:

The "impair" part.

I see. Yes the word does imply that the difference is a negative one, and that indeed is very questionable (and interesting too). Agreed.