Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

alaskamom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2006, 12:23 pm

I have been reading about different supplements used to help with vitamins, and soothe tantrums and behaviour problems. Everything from Super Nu Thera (sp?) to Tahitian Noni juice.

I was hoping to get some feedback on what others have used and what worked for them. My son is allergic to everything in the wheat family, eggs, and milk and other things, so he is already grain free.

He has not been officially diagnosed with AS, but I am on a loooong waiting list to see the only neuro-pysch in AK.

Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks
Laura

ster
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 1:05 pm

haven't used any supplements here

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

09 Sep 2006, 6:18 pm

Well fish oil with a high ratio of EPA to DHA (I think like 5-7 times EPA to DHA) which
you will not find at most stores.

Hell if your in Alaska you should get alot of fish oil. Though I think naturalily the ratios of
DHA to EPA are close to 1:1 in fish.

Its an RX drug but Tenex / guanfacine is a non-stimulant drug that can treat hyperactivity with alot fewwer side effects compared to stimulants. My guess is it
will be a very common drug in the future for hyperactivity.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2006, 2:15 am

I'm an adult Aspie. Just wanted to drop by to say my dr has me taking several supplements that Aspies are low in. L-Glutathione is the biggie. On really autistic kids, especially boys, you have to start L-Glut real low dose because some will behave badly when they first start it but calm down as they get use to it. Their brains need L-Glut; it just shocks some of their systems. You can get transdermal L-Glut cream so you can tailor the dosage. Also I was told to take B-12, but it must NOT be the cheaper cyanocobalamine B-12 because it is not good for autistics. Hydroxycobalamine or Methylcobalamine is preferred. If you look hard online you can find sublingual tablets of both Hydroxy- and Methyl-. Injectible Hydroxy- is the most preferred, but I imagine that would be a struggle to give to child. The dr had her P.A. teach me to give myself the injections.

Dr also suggested Metagenics UltraInflammX for AS. I noticed more cognitive ability after using PCA-Rx which is a detoxing supplement that many parents giving to their autistic kids. If anyone is interested in these supplements I can tell you were they cheapest places are online.

PS: Probiotics such as Primal Defense are also suggested for auties and aspies. I take that too and it has made a tremendous difference with the digestive tract issues.

mullion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2006, 9:27 am

My child is also wheat & gluten free (coeliac) & has milk intolerance so dairy free also. Only supplements I give are Rhino calcium chewable for calcium intake & multivitamin (kids) each day so there's enough Vitamin D to help with the calcium. Don't know if fish oils help, as she refuses to eat them (after trying few types). Try not to let her have much caffeine (I don't have any) as she needs all the help she can get with getting to sleep fairly easily.
Wheat/gluten/dairy free diet is, in my opinion the very best thing you can do for a child on the spectrum.