Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

n3v3rm0r3
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Aug 2011, 11:14 am

I had a bit of a meltdown last night just thinking of some of the things I have to do and will experience starting school. I find in the winter my anxiety gets much worse. I was house bound last year and I'm terrified of being like that again and interrupting school.

The thought of being trapped in class with so many people is horrifying. It feels so impossible, I'm afraid I'll freeze and won't make it out the door to get to school at all.

Just hoping for some success stories to boost my confidence. I know I can't possibly be the only person out there struggling or who has struggled with starting school.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 11:34 am

although it is said to be terribly addictive, I found that Xanax or similar other tranquilizers taken in small doses before school allowed me to at least actually get there and sit through class without freaking out. If you take too much, though, the major side-effect is temporary amnesia, so that's counterproductive to learning anything.

In this way I was able to complete my Bachelors degree, and even wound up on the Honor Roll in my first two years. It was quite hard to persist, but at least it was possible with my greatest effort plus that medicinal help.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 11:43 am

I don't have anything specific to share, but I know from talking with other parents that you aren't the only one to go through this. Anxiety is hard.

You are on a solid track, checking out your bus schedules, etc. Next, why not see if you can find a good escape spot? A place to go when you feel you are nearing meltdown and need to self mitigate. And then write up a note for your teachers, to give them first day of class, that explains you have AS and may get overwhelmed, in which case you will leave the room suddenly to calm yourself down and don't want them to think you are being rude.

The school may be able to help you pick a safe spot, as well.

What I call an escape clause is a common IEP item for kids, and is a really useful tool at all ages, assuming you can recognize the build up that leads to meltdown well enough to take action.

What do you do for self-calming? My son paces, which he can do anywhere he can find space.

If you have an action plan, if should help ease the anxiety.

paradoxicalSpiral
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Aug 2011, 12:24 pm

Im currently attending college and I typically just exist within my own world when I'm in classes. I almost always have headphones in or I draw while I take my notes. gives me something to focus on besides a crowded room. I do the majority of my actual learning from my own place I cannot function well in class. I find if I just mind my own business and keep to myself it goes swimmingly for the most part.

n3v3rm0r3

29 Aug 2011, 2:42 pm

I take Clonazapam for panic attacks, which is somewhat helpful.
Also I pace or rock myself and I find that comforting.
Music is also a good distraction for me and allows me to tune out the people around me.

Thank you all for the help. I don't want to give up before I've begun.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 1:39 am

Just checking in to see how it is going for you ... I hope OK :)

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 2:08 am

Yeah I have felt the same way. I wish the best for you.

melly-belly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2011, 8:42 am

I would see your doctor about the anxiety thing. It can be controlled as ive had simliar things. I do homeschool now but just today actually i told my mum that i wish i could go to school and be normal like other people my age. I didnt cope with school and like you had terrible meltdowns because of it. We are going to look into Maybe doing 1 or 2 subjects at a school and attending it part time and doing the rest by homeschool next year. Things hopefully wont be as hard then and if it doesnt work i can go back to doing my schooling at home full time. Good luck with yours!