Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Artfuljin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Aug 2011, 11:44 am

as i get older and more understanding of NT behavior (mostly thru being treated like shyt and developing a curiousness as to why) i cant help but notice i have dissected there behavior so much that i could probably manipulate my social environments in anyway i pleased if only i had the motivation and weren't so dam honest. can anyone else relate to this?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 11:46 am

No. Your post is both too speculative and too subjective.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Xaisede
Raven
Raven

29 Aug 2011, 11:48 am

Artfuljin wrote:
as i get older and more understanding of NT behavior (mostly thru being treated like shyt and developing a curiousness as to why) i cant help but notice i have dissected there behavior so much that i could probably manipulate my social environments in anyway i pleased if only i had the motivation and weren't so dam honest. can anyone else relate to this?

Ummm... Yes I have studied Nt's, but I don't think I can manipulate, and I don't think I would.

Artfuljin

29 Aug 2011, 11:54 am

Fnord wrote:
No. Your post is both too speculative and too subjective.

yes this is very true sorry if i offended i guess this post was just some of my pain turning into evil speculation for the record i would never manipulate anyone even if i could

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 12:55 pm

Artfuljin wrote:

Definitely. As an outsider you can be more objective. And in the same way, and NT could manipulate me quite easily, but using completely different methods.

winslow

31 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

Artfuljin wrote:

YES! I completely understand. My keen observation skills that come as the result of being AS have enabled me to read peoples motives and behavior despite my inability to pick up on social cues. I have often thought that if I had it in me, I could become the biggest manipulator of people.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2011, 5:59 pm

Relate to myself, no.

However, I do know an aspie who ended up turning very manipulative. He ended up emotionally abusing me. I dunno if it was through that manner though.

Tassadar
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Sep 2011, 6:29 pm

Its called being machiavellic, and honestly, charisma = machiavellianism just in a manipulative and calculating way.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 6:40 pm

So you're saying you don't want to go into politics?

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

04 Sep 2011, 8:19 pm

I think 'manipulation' is an 'issue' many Aspies/Auties encounter. Not just in terms of worrying it'll be applied to them, but also in terms of worrying that one is BEING manipulative. The potential of manipulating others upsets our 'ethics'. I believe it to be a possibility that such 'ethics' could be based on the (potentially erroneous) idea that, if/since we're not 'honestly' experiencing an emotion that'd be considered 'relevant' to the current situation, then we're being 'manipulative'. By attempting to apply/insert a demonstration of an emotion we 'think' we're not 'feeling, we judge ourselves to be hypocrites in some way. - We also often tend to think of the others involved in the conversation/interaction as 'genuinely' feeling the emotions they've been presenting (a comparison that makes us feel even worse about ourselves). This leads to us mentally declaring ourselves as 'fakes'. My 'suspicion' (really, not the word I want here...) is that I've 'failed' in the past to recognize my emotional output for what it truly is. I've 'misidentified' my anger, for example. Telling myself I wasn't really angry - BECAUSE I'D IDENTIFIED SIGNS OF ANGER VIA WHAT I'D CONSIDERED NEUROTYPICAL SIGNS OF ANGER. If/when I shift my paradigms (and other mechanisms) to help me identify anger IN MYSELF, I become able to see that, yes, I am actually experiencing that particular emotion and, yes, it is manifested in ways different from those around me (I'm too-often surrounded by those who are unlike me...).

It's like the recent medical realization that males suffer depression in far greater numbers than previously believed. Now that 'experts' have stopped looking for signs ('symptomology') of depression in males USING THE 'FORMAT' APPLIED TO FEMALES, it's been realized just how many males have suffered great distress from neglect caused by 'mis-identification'.

Seeing that I am having 'genuine' feelings (even if the process of my experiencing them - and presenting them to others is 'different') contributes towards 'validating' my rights/privileges during interactions with others. I'm not 'dismiss-able' from those interactions based on any (unjustified/unjustifiable) accusations (even self-made accusations) of 'manipulation'.

Whattya think? :)