Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 3:44 am

OK this chap is flogging his book, but his track record of predictions is pretty good (Global financial crisis, US credit rating downgrade) in that he predicted what was going to happen and why before it did. Seems credible e.g. "S&P calls Wiedemer’s work “a compelling argument for a chilling conclusion. [His] track record demands our attention."

I really hope hes wrong.
http://www.moneynews.com/StreetTalk/aft ... /id/407695

If you watch the video the good relevant stuff on the economy is from 13 minutes to 22. What do you think?

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 11:32 am

Something about this website seems off. Especially the wording such as "prophetic messages".

I want to see his failed predictions. Not just the things he got right.

EDIT: I did find the video after enabling JavaScript on my browser. I couldn't watch 13 min to 22 min because the video wouldn't let me skip forward. When I tried to refresh the page, the video started all over again when I was already 5 minutes into it. When I tried to leave the website, it would not let me. It just threw large, obnoxious text at me like "wait, don't go!"

This is just a scam.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 3:30 pm

Yes the website and delivery of the staged interview is hokey, that's what I thought too. But he speaks with conviction and certainty. It would be wrong to dismiss a message because of it's format rather than it's content. Anyway massive call on his part, he's either going to blow his credibility (hopefully) or be proven right.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 7:00 pm

nostromo wrote:
But he speaks with conviction and certainty.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not he is right.

Quote:
It would be wrong to dismiss a message because of it's format rather than it's content.

It's perfectly reasonable to dismiss something because of obnoxious packaging. Otherwise, we'd be obligated to listen to anyone who talks to us for however long they want.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 7:13 pm

Is this one of those guys who constantly predicts doom for the next month and then when something finally happens, he is the one that claims IT IS A HIT OMG!! !. ?

Telefunkenfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2011, 8:49 pm

for those of us on crippled machines( looong story but the short of it is my computer is made of parts from too many other computers) what exactly did this one predict? assuming the latest economic fiasco is used as a reference point and it goes from there..

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 9:47 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Is this one of those guys who constantly predicts doom for the next month and then when something finally happens, he is the one that claims IT IS A HIT OMG!! !. ?

Think, a Gerald Celente imitator. For those not familiar with Celente, he's the doomsayer who is supposedly never wrong, and who had his people clean off his wrong predictions from his wiki page so it would look like he's a genius. Celente predicts mass starvation and food riots in America in 2012, among other things. At times one gets the impression that he's trying to one-up the supposed Mayan doomsday predictions for 2012. Celente has inspired craploads of imitators. This guy appears to be one of them.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 8:41 pm

Telefunkenfan wrote:
for those of us on crippled machines( looong story but the short of it is my computer is made of parts from too many other computers) what exactly did this one predict? assuming the latest economic fiasco is used as a reference point and it goes from there..

Can't quite recall, and the arguments go over my head, but it was to do with Inflationary pressures, Treasury bonds losing value etc. Its not at all that the economy would fail but that savings will be hammered as the value of money erodes, and investment will dry up. something like that :?

Regardless something has to be done to get the sovereign debt issue under control surely?
But lets see what Il Presidente has to say in a day or two, maybe he has an idea. I think taxes would have to go up and spenidng down? Things like cutting overseas adventures for example..

This graph suggests so, theres plenty of money there, just not in the hands of the govt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Fe ... _graph.png

Bloviater
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2011, 1:58 am

Unless you've been living under a rock or are in total denial, the U.S. economy is irreversibly screwed. Expect unrest in the coming years. The violent hijinks ought to be entertaining.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 5:29 am

Bloviater wrote:
Unless you've been living under a rock or are in total denial, the U.S. economy is irreversibly screwed. Expect unrest in the coming years. The violent hijinks ought to be entertaining.

The economy is screwed but perhaps not irreversibly. We are stagnant and nearly dead in the water. Hope and Change! That's the thing!

ruveyn

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2011, 3:53 pm

I'll take your Robert Wiedemer and raise you one Catherine Austin Fitts.

Here's a new guy who has a few things to say about the global economy
http://www.youtube.com/user/councilonsp ... 37RhdFGVsM

Predicting doom and gloom is easy because its just fundamentals, but getting the dates right is crystal ball territory.