Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Catster29
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2011, 5:35 am

My uncle and I have quite a few issues that have happened in the past (mentioned on this board before) and I am still upset about that. However I feel he is still family so I wanted to start again given he now has a better understanding (hopefully) of my Asperger's and doesn't see me as a "behaviour" problem. I sent him postcards from Sydney and Canberra as well as an email telling him about my full licence and I didn't hear anything so I wrote saying to him that family was important and I would like to start again try and have some kind of relationship but he has not replied either to that or the email. I feel utterly rejected and sad I still am upset with him and justifiably so but I am willing to try and patch things up and I have no idea why he is rejecting me in this way. He talks to other family etc and all that does is reenforce my feelings of rejection and isolation. I am a different person now more mature so I thought things might get better but all thats happened is rejection. Some have said don't worry about it he isn't worth it but he is my uncle afterall and I only have a selection of them. I want to know why he is rejecting me it makes me very sad.

Verinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

I spent years longing for some kind of relationship with my sister. I couldn't understand why she was so popular with everyone but for some reason chose to either ignore me, or be nasty to me.

I was always trying to get myself into her favour but never succeeded, it was horrible.

Now I've given up on all that, I accept the situation for the way it is. It's such a relief! I'd suggest you do the same with your uncle. You never know, things might improve if you stop trying so hard.

AspieGirlMum
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Sep 2011, 6:52 pm

I think you have every right to be upset and feel the way you do. But I think you should feel better about the fact that *you* have done the right thing. You recognise the importance of family, and you reached out to him. You can't force him to accept you or to accept your overture.

I was disowned by my father's family when I had a baby out of wedlock.
My Nanna and an aunt and uncle have accepted me on conditional terms now, but the other aunt had issues with me way before that. They all did of course. My Mother tells me that for years now, whenever I've spoken to them (or anyone), they haven't been able to understand me. She says I need to dumb down my language for them and to stop talking about my interests so much. Look for the glazed over look in their eyes.

I tried for many years to get them to accept me. I gave them many many chances, but it just left me open to more rejection and nasty comments and deeds. Eventually I gave up. I can only control myself in all of this, and I feel like I did the right thing. But I need to protect myself now, and after God knows how many chances, I've finally accepted that I am dead to them...and that's probably a good thing, considering how ignorant, racist, bigoted and just plain nasty they are.

Catster29
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Sep 2011, 3:56 am

No i Cant force him I just feel really sad coz yes there are issues and yes I can been hard to understand at times but I don't know why he is totally rejecting me in this way. I have written to my mum and told her how I am feeling.