Does anyone else see colours when their eyes are closed?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

reddreadred
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Sep 2011, 11:04 am

I'm not sure if this is an aspie thing, or some form of synesthesia, but I notice whenever I lay in bed for a long time thinking, in the dark with my eyes closed, but cannot fall asleep, I see green and sometimes purple "clouds" (as I will call them). It only happens when I am deep in thought and though I am tired my thoughts are keeping me awake. Sometimes it is so bad that I leave a lamp on so that the outside light on my eyelids makes it less noticeable. I have asked other non-aspie people about this, but they don't seem to know what I'm talking about.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 11:11 am

I get this too. That is why I have a night light.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 11:24 am

I get that a lot. Sometimes I can change the color by thinking of another color. When I am in a very relaxed alpha state I see complex, colorful moving patterns that are sort of like fractal art. I also see tiny screens with moving action like a cinema. It's always in black and white and always involves a crowd of people moving about. When I try to see it more clearly, it slowly disintegrates. My son who has diagnosed AS says there's a movie behind his eyes.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 11:29 am

I often see the colours green and orange when I close my eyes for the night or for a nap.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 11:37 am

Yes, green and purple blobs. Sometimes like fireworks, sometimes waves or pulses. Another thing I see when my eyes are closed is like an interference pattern you'd get with multiple concentric circles, though this is usually without any colour.

When my mind has been particularly overworked I can see repeating patterns or motifs rather like a kaleidoscope, or rows of crawling bugs, marching people or spinning wheels.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

I watch them shift so I can get to sleep. The more tired I get, the more intense the colours get. Thats how I lucid dream. Usually, I see the following colours: Red, green, blue, purple, gold, silver, purple, maroon, light blue.

The closer to sleep I get, the more vivid it becomes. When I can feel myself floating around in a three dimentional space, I know I'm dreaming/on the edge of dreaming, and from there my dreams are lucid or I go into OBE's/Astral Projection. Its weird, cos its been that way since I was born.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 12:06 pm

Do some people NOT do that? I do...

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

reddreadred
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I was sort of afraid of it happening because every time I mentioned it to someone they wouldn't know what I was talking about. Thanks everyone.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 12:26 pm

yes.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

reddreadred wrote:
whenever I lay in bed for a long time thinking, in the dark with my eyes closed, but cannot fall asleep, I see green and sometimes purple "clouds" (as I will call them).

:alien: Those are the aliens from the next dimension trying to steal your soul and take over your body. They can only slip in while you're in that thoughtless zone just between wakeful and asleep. Go to bed sh*tfaced drunk so you just pass right out and they won't have a chance to get you. :hic:

Kiana
Raven
Raven

13 Sep 2011, 12:38 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-eye_hallucination

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

LostInEmulation wrote:
Do some people NOT do that? I do...

^^ This ^^

Seriously, I thought this was something that everyone experienced so have never considered talking to anyone about it.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 12:46 pm

Kiana wrote:

Huh, according to that I can see level 3 associated with people who use LSD, which I have never done.

loobyloukitty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2011, 12:47 pm

Yeah red , yellow , orange. only seem to have noticed it in the car.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 12:50 pm

Kiana wrote:

I get three and sometimes four usually.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm

Don't see colors: there is some "light" ranging from white to black through gray.

I do have vividly colored dreams, seems antidepressant meds increase those, but also occasionally in summer when I'm not on meds. My eyes are closed then, of course, but there's a big difference between a dream and just waiting to go to sleep.