Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 8:07 pm

Saw a couple video's on youtube thought it was kind of an interesting topic.
I would likely be the quite aspie (if indeed i am one) and wouldn't talk your ear off about a topic unless you seemed genuinely interested.
I have known people who are likely loud aspies though i am not certain.

Anyways....what divides aspies from becoming very talkitive to very reserved?

Is it anxiety/shyness? Too much awareness vs not enough awareness? Something else entirely?

I don't mean volume of words...because if i'm not very quite then i talk too loud.

More likely number of words spoken- loud=more words spoke, quite=less words spoken.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 8:16 pm

I am quiet when the conversation is not about a topic that I find particularly interesting. When the topic is interesting to me, I have lots of thoughts about it, and my default setting is to say these thoughts out loud, whether I am alone or with others, so I become loud. I am quietest when the conversation changes topics a lot. When I am having a more socially aware day, I might filter my thoughts a little, but once I really get into a conversation about an interesting topic, all filters disappear, and I am very loud, say a lot, and possibly drive other people nuts. In terms of volume, I also speak louder during these times, and I am expressive with facial expressions and gestures, all of which are meant to convey more information about the topic and have nothing to do with theory of mind, although they may be miscontrued as such by others.

So I can be very quiet or very loud, depending on the specific situation. My quietness is not due to anxiety or shyness, but it can look that way to others. My loudness is like a runaway tractor trailer driven by interest and being socially unaware.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 8:25 pm

I am a LOUD Aspie boy. Always have been!

smudgy25
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2011, 8:31 pm

Interesting thread. My husband of 24 years (undiagnosed) is a loud aspie, but kind of wouldnt say loud more like a running commentary on what he is doing at the time, where he is going (yes even to the loo)! and when there is a topic of interest will talk non stop. I think alot of this is adrenaline/anxiety driven!

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 8:41 pm

smudgy25 wrote:
Interesting thread. My husband of 24 years (undiagnosed) is a loud aspie, but kind of wouldnt say loud more like a running commentary on what he is doing at the time, where he is going (yes even to the loo)! and when there is a topic of interest will talk non stop. I think alot of this is adrenaline/anxiety driven!

never thought of someone talking a lot because of anxiety....but it makes sense it could go both ways.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

29 Sep 2011, 9:30 pm

I'm not entirely sure what kind of aspie I am. :)

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2011, 9:34 pm

I'm a quiet aspie... Until I feel comfortable with the person, then I'm very loud.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 10:42 pm

twich wrote:
I'm a quiet aspie... Until I feel comfortable with the person, then I'm very loud.

^This.
Though not loud in a volume sense, loud in a talking a lot sense.

wanderinggrl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2011, 11:19 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I can be very quiet or very loud, depending on the specific situation.

Same with me. I'm generally very quiet, but can be loud if the conversation holds my interest or i'm just really tired.

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2011, 11:23 pm

I am loud with strangers, quiet with those I know, don't ask me why just am

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 11:30 pm

I'm very loud and talkative, unless I'm in a bad mood. Then I get quiet.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 12:01 am

Quote:
Anyways....what divides aspies from becoming very talkitive to very reserved?

I would imagine that it would be the same amount of reasons as why there are loud and quiet NTs.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 12:15 am

I'm both. I used to be a loud aspie but now I am just quiet. I get loud if I get into talking and won't shut up. Plus I talk loud when I get excited.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 12:19 am

yup, same reasons as for NT's. i'm an introvert. i recharge by being alone. i'm naturally quiet, as is my NT husband. you might want to check out meyers-briggs personality types. (i'm an INFJ).

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 12:46 am

cathylynn wrote:
yup, same reasons as for NT's. i'm an introvert. i recharge by being alone. i'm naturally quiet, as is my NT husband. you might want to check out meyers-briggs personality types. (i'm an INFJ).

there was a post on here awhile ago that was pretty lengthy about that one

i'm intj

Shishka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Sep 2011, 1:18 am

I'm quet. Even with people I'm comfortable with I'm quiet. And that's in volume and amount of words. Unless I have something specific to say to someone I won't say anything. And if I can hear myself I assume that everyone else can hear me too (not always the case)