Are most Aspies prescribed medications?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CheshireCat1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2011, 12:34 am

Hi. I am new to understanding Asperger Syndrome so I apologize for any silly questions that I might ask. I have always wondered, are most Aspies prescribed medicine to deal with their emotions or any meltdowns? Do most Aspies see a Psychiatrist? Or is it that most Aspies are only prescribed medicine if they show signs of needing it such as: OCD, Anger Problems, etc?

EGGREGUYOUS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2011, 3:00 am

I take 5-HTP for my Chronic Depression & Slippery Elm for my stomach, Melatonin for my insomnia, also something for my Anxiety (Forget What's It's Called)
I've been to therapists when I was younger but now I refuse to go because we don't have much money and I don't want to make it worse.
Prescribe myself deep Bass because it's the only way I can relax but bass hurts my mom's head :( I still turn up my stereo when she's gone though... *Sigh*

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 3:07 am

I never take anything more than the occasional benedryl for allergies. I am very much against medication unless it's absolutely necessary.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 4:49 am

I'm also against medication, or at least I'd suggest trying out alternatives before reaching for them. Alternatives include physical exercise (incl. cycling, hiking, gyms, swimming), meditation, diet (healthier, gluten-free). Temple Grandin suggests aspies/autistics should take only small doses of medication, if they need it, usually smaller than the normal dose for the same symptoms. Sometimes medication and the alternatives combined give the best result. Also, reduced stress from the environment might do wonders in some cases. Autistics are not always aware of the amount of stress they get from sensory stimulation daily.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 5:11 am

When I told my GP of my diagnosis, she said that the only help she had for me were antidepressants or tranquillisers. Pathetic, eh? But she didn't push them or particularly recommend them.

I can see the reasoning, but I tried their tranquillisers once and they didn't really help. Antidepressants sound like fun but I'd probably abuse them. I have an addictive personality. Also I'd rather feel my true feelings and be forced to sort out my real-life problems than drug myself up. I have alexithymia anyway, so I don't really need stuff that's likely to confuse my emotions even further. I guess I've been lucky - I've very rarely been in such a state that I felt the need of tablets.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 5:31 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Antidepressants sound like fun but I'd probably abuse them.

Antidepressants are not fun. Some people report that they work for them, but this is not my experience. I'm still suffering some unwanted side effects around 9 months after ceasing the medication and do not know if I will ever be quite the same again. Withdrawal was a very disturbing experience and I had a whole host of other issues whilst taking them.

I also feel quite angry since I never really wanted to have the medication at all but was under considerable pressure by others. With all the complications and negative feelings generated my recovery was actually thrown way off track instead of aided.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 5:40 am

Im against the idea of affecting my brain with drugs on a regular basis, as I will have to live with myself anyway.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 5:40 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Also I'd rather feel my true feelings and be forced to sort out my real-life problems than drug myself up.

Exactly my fear. My (supposed) HFA friend takes Xanax, he believes it's only a light drug. I told him he'd better sort out his problems, tried to talk to his soul, suggesting solutions, giving practical advices, reinforcing his self-esteem, but without much yield seemingly. I avoided directly connecting his being on medication to his unsolved issues with his life, though, as I see it might have caused him feeling guilty about taking those tablets.

I've invited him over for a fish-dinner this evening. Maybe omega 3 and 6 would help him. He's been advised to bring white wine with him, as Latins used to say "Maledictus piscis in tercia aqua." :D

opal
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 5:52 am

nemorosa wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Antidepressants sound like fun but I'd probably abuse them.

Antidepressants are not fun. Some people report that they work for them, but this is not my experience. I'm still suffering some unwanted side effects around 9 months after ceasing the medication and do not know if I will ever be quite the same again. Withdrawal was a very disturbing experience and I had a whole host of other issues whilst taking them.

I also feel quite angry since I never really wanted to have the medication at all but was under considerable pressure by others. With all the complications and negative feelings generated my recovery was actually thrown way off track instead of aided.

In the short term, they kept me alive, but I had both acute and chronic side effects from them, some of which still effect me. I was also pressured to take them by my p-doc, who gave me a lot of unhelpful and contradictory advice.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 6:36 am

No medication can fix autism, you know that, right? Usually drugs are used to control the co-existing conditions like depression and anxiety, anger issues or extreme sensitivities. If your symptoms are not severe drugs are not required.

We have 3 people with ASD in our house and none of us are taking anything for it. I do have anxiety disorder but have not found anything that works well for me, so I'm not taking anything right now. I never have meltdowns or panic attacks, though, just general anxiety. My kids are very gentle and tame even when they have meltdowns, never broken anything or hurt anyone, so they don't need to take anything, either.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 6:43 am

I'd love to have some valium to take now and then when my anxiety gets bad but I have no insurance or money.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 6:58 am

hanyo wrote:
I'd love to have some valium to take now and then when my anxiety gets bad but I have no insurance or money.

I take Valium when I have dental work done after I started getting severe anxiety a few years back.
- They also give me modified Novocaine after had some very bad reactions to the ephedrine

It certainly does calm things down quickly

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 10:06 am

EGGREGUYOUS wrote:
I take 5-HTP for my Chronic Depression & Slippery Elm for my stomach, Melatonin for my insomnia, also something for my Anxiety (Forget What's It's Called)
I've been to therapists when I was younger but now I refuse to go because we don't have much money and I don't want to make it worse.
Prescribe myself deep Bass because it's the only way I can relax but bass hurts my mom's head :( I still turn up my stereo when she's gone though... *Sigh*

Headphones work great for that. I like LOUD music and the only way I feel comfortable with that is through headphones. Also what is slippery elm?

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 10:10 am

People with aspergers don't need meds unless they have another problem. I have to take medication but that is only because I have severe reoccurring depressions. Even now I try as few meds and as low a dose as possible.

EGGREGUYOUS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2011, 6:33 pm

jackbus01 wrote:
Headphones work great for that. I like LOUD music and the only way I feel comfortable with that is through headphones. Also what is slippery elm?

Slippery Elm soothes the digestive tract, I drink it when I get stomach aches or when I feel nausiated.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Oct 2011, 7:06 pm

I am against medication for me (but I am not speaking for others' wishes to take medication if they so choose). I was prescribed medication for anxiety related stuff once, but after taking it for a day, I refused to take it anymore. I personally like to feel the way I have been used to feeling---so I do not take medication. In my opinion, I do not need medication.