Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

17 Oct 2011, 2:27 am

Anyone else got a case of Insomnia? It's not a new thing with me, just looking for other autistic Insomniacs.

skenasis
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Oct 2011, 6:01 am

Insomniac since birth. I have the kind of insomnia where it takes a long time to get to sleep, not the kind where you have difficulty staying asleep. When I actually get to sleep I'm fine, it's just the getting there that's the problem.

MrCarbohydrate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2011, 6:12 am

I have been having problems sleeping for the last three or four weeks. I go to bed quite late in order to make myself sleep, if I go too early then I get even less sleep. Anyway, I normally just lie there and cannot sleep for an hour or so, I then get to sleep. Sometimes I go off sleep walking which is VERY annoying as I start freaking out and it takes me a while to calm down again. I then get off to sleep again much the same fashion as when I first get to bed.

I never know what to do for the best in the next phase, though. If I stay in bed sleeping, I feel like I am wasting the day and if I get up I get tired earlier but still can't sleep and still get overtired and do even less. I think it is probably down to living with someone else and feeling the pressure to do things when I wouldn't normally do them in order to keep them happy or occupy myself with something I don't want to do so I am not bored and getting wound up. This puts me in a sort of 'never getting anything done, always rushing what I am doing, not having enough time for myself and what I want to do' state. I don't like feeling like that.

OrangeCloud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2011, 6:49 am

With me, not being able to sleep is a warning sign that something isn't right in my head. In the period leading up to my breakdown 9 years ago, I didn't sleep for 5 or 6 nights. It crept up on me and I started to realise that I was in a dreadful psychological state. For others insomnia is a medical condition that has nothing to do with their emotional state. But for me it has always been a warning sign that something is wrong.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm

I have both kinds, have since birth. I have trouble falling asleep and trouble staying asleep. I also read somewhere that people on the spectrum can have issues with a typical sleep pattern/ It just doesn't work for us.

Last edited by twich on 17 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2011, 3:05 pm

I had horrible insomnia until about a year ago. I saw my Doctor about an unrelated problem and it turns out I was sick, since making the recommended lifestyle changes I am 99% insomnia free. (Every once in a while a slight case due to stress.)

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 3:11 pm

Even coffee in the afternoon will keep me awake for a few hours after my usual bed time. If its coffee in the evening or at night, I'm not sleeping for that night and I'll end up pulling an all-nighter (not on purpose).

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 3:13 pm

Since around 1970. Sleep deprivation is a way of life. Sucks. I'm tired every minute of every day.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 3:22 pm

I don't have that but I think some insomnia is caused by being forced to sleep or be awake on a schedule rather than sleeping when your body tells you it is tired. I don't have to do anything so I can just sleep when I'm tired and be awake when I'm not.

KemoreJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2011, 10:22 pm

I have been having issues the last three weeks also. I have many remedies but the easiest for most people to "digest" will be keeping a flask of warm water by the bed. Firstly have at least a glass of warm water before you go to bed. Drink from the flask whenever you wake up (providing you do get to sleep), I don't know, at least half a mug. Try different temperatures each night until you find the right temp which is comforting and nurturing. You don't want it hot or it will be stimulating. You don't want it cold because that will also stimulate your stomach. And tepid can be unsatisfying.

Have just come back to edit this.

I have discovered a teaspoon of ghee in my warm water helps a great deal!

:D

Last edited by KemoreJ on 23 Oct 2011, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 11:02 pm

It's 12:02AM right now, I have school in the morning, and I'm barely tired at all. Hmm... what do you think?

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2011, 8:01 am

I don't think I have "true" insomnia so much as a natural sleeping pattern that is out of synch with the world. If left to my own devices I will quite happily get enough sleep, but will very rapidly settle into a pattern of going to sleep in the middle of the night and getting up in the middle of the day. Unfortunately, this is incompatible with modern life, so I take sleeping pills...

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2011, 8:22 am

For (about) the fifth time of posting on WP buy yourself a bicycle and get some fresh air into your lungs.

I used to feel dog tired all evening but couldn't drop off when I went to bed.
Now I feel good in the evening and go to sleep quickly at night.
My cure was just a couple of steady miles three or four evenings a week.

The bonus is that I very much enjoy my rides out.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 8:44 am

Sleep? I don't need sleep. I have ponies!
In all seriousness, I have many sleep related disorders.

-Insomnia
-Sleep paralysis
-Overactive imagination
-Reduced need for sleep
-Night terrors
-Sleep walking
-Sleep talking

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2011, 9:51 am

Insomniac here. When I go through periods of getting enough sleep, the world is a different place, for me anyway.

TheWingman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2011, 12:38 pm

try different stuffs, try to sleep naked, try to move your bed to a different place, try to move house. Try to sleep to somebody before you go to sleep, I think it helps a lot, try to exercise, try to smoke weed, in some case, i can help. Sometimes, it little details that make the difference.