Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Rubydoobs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2011, 7:36 am

Does anyone else find that they can function better at social gatherings with a few drinks inside them?

I've noticed all my life that when I've had a few drinks I'm a completely different person, happy, flirty, tendency to go up to total strangers and talk to them. But when I'm sober, I'm my normal, shy, quiet, sits in a corner and won't say boo to a goose self.

What's normal? Well, that's a good question. Normal is what everyone else is and you are not ~ Tolian Soran (ST: Gen)

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:19 am

It helps a little bit I also noticed a little weed can help with that too.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:30 am

Rubydoobs wrote:
Does anyone else find that they can function better at social gatherings with a few drinks inside them?

That's because it is lowering your social inhibitions and making you less aware of your surroundings and social environment, the problem is that you're not actually relying on yourself to be outgoing, you're relying on the alcohol and making yourself more dependent on it. I've seen people turn into alcoholics for this very reason.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:48 am

Rubydoobs wrote:

I've noticed all my life that when I've had a few drinks I'm a completely different person, happy, flirty, tendency to go up to total strangers and talk to them. But when I'm sober, I'm my normal, shy, quiet, sits in a corner and won't say boo to a goose self.

This would be what social drinking is. I am pretty sure that being a drunk aspie would not appear normal to anyone.

Last edited by jackbus01 on 25 Oct 2011, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2011, 8:56 am

Im not as anxious after some drinks... but socially i probably function worse as a whole... the conversations go from quality to quantity the more drinks i have...

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 9:38 am

It helps with the nerves. Unfortunately, it doesn't make you a more socially adjusted person. You still have all the dorky mannerisms and lack of group-dynamic intuition that made you isolated in the first place. Unless you get in a fight you'll think you did well. However, when you really analyze what happened days later after the high has worn off, it's wasn't so hot.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 9:53 am

Rubydoobs wrote:

same

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 11:04 am

Rubydoobs wrote:

Getting a "buzz" from alcohol doesn't completely alter my personality as it seems to with you. I act relatively the same unless I become extremely drunk. Even then I don't start talking non-stop.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 11:37 am

deadeyexx wrote:
It helps with the nerves. Unfortunately, it doesn't make you a more socially adjusted person. You still have all the dorky mannerisms and lack of group-dynamic intuition that made you isolated in the first place. Unless you get in a fight you'll think you did well. However, when you really analyze what happened days later after the high has worn off, it's wasn't so hot.

Everyone NT and AS acts stupid after several drinks. That's the point isn't it.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 12:25 pm

For me, a little bit of alcohol often takes the edge off nervousness and worry.

I am in favor of underdoing this.

I'm a man in my forties, 5'5", about 150 pounds, and on an empty stomach, I can feel an effect as nurse and slowly work my way to the end of just one beer.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 12:31 pm

jackbus01 wrote:
deadeyexx wrote:

Everyone NT and AS acts stupid after several drinks. That's the point isn't it.

Of course. Not denying it's a lot of fun. I do it all the time.

But I would never hail alcohol as something that makes you function better, or be more normal, or the cure for aspergers. All your issues are still present even when you numb your mind to the point to not caring. NTs still don't truly accept you. Even though you get more attention, it's only because you're more entertaining.

I would recommend it anyone who could use a light-hearted good time. But you must realise you're just getting a temporary rise out of people. If you go back sober thinking you've finally been accepted, you're gunna be dissapointed.

fiooo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2011, 1:11 pm

It's probably just the social anxiety going away. That and you're less aware of your awkwardness and other people's social cues. So for aspies, the alcohol just makes us comfortable in our own awkwardness.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 7:22 pm

Well when I drink I don't give a crap as much.....so I behave more like an extrovert, but drinking for me tends to mean either I don't drink at all or I'm drinking pretty regularly.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 9:07 pm

Rubydoobs wrote:

Drinking doesn't make it better for me. Depending on the crowd, it could actually make it worse. I drink. I forget to monitor my langauge and then I make some horrible off-color remark. Then everyone looks at me like I am weird and moves away from me.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 1:05 am

I absolutely cannot drink around strangers, people I haven't seen for a while, or people I don't trust with various aspects of myself. When I am socially anxious, I just want to get drunk, and this leads to horrible results. I stick with weed, which makes me warm/receptive to others, talkative and secure around people.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 1:40 am

I am the opposite. When I am socially anxious and drink as a result it usually ends well, but smoking pot in a social situation when I haven't been drinking is a disaster.

The last time I bought dope (from a random friend of a friend several months ago) they were insistent that I took a bong rip to be sure it was up to snuff, even though I insisted I could easily tell it was solid just looking at it. I was so nervous simply being around random people that I knocked the bong over and almost broke it :lol: