How many of you bite your fingernails?

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2005, 6:39 pm

I always bit my fingernails (until it stopped more-or-less spontaneously about 6-8 years ago). Once they were short, I had to make them "regular", with no loose or uneven ends. That went for the cuticles, too. Any loose piece had to be peeled off until no loose pieces remained. Made myself bleed many times.

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Feb 2005, 7:02 pm

I bite my fingernails a lot. Because I bite them, I find it difficult to play a glissando on the piano. (A glissando on a piano is when you take your fingernails and pull them across the keys rapidly so that the sound that comes out gives the illusion of falling or escalating.)

:star:

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2005, 8:14 pm

I don't bite my fingernails. I can't remember the last time I cut them, though, I sorta pick at them when they get long to remove the bits as they grow.

Bad habit, I should really stop it :(

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2005, 8:19 pm

I bite my nails like nobody's business......

FuzzyChickens
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2005, 8:36 pm

I do a lot more than that. At first, I expanded to biting my toenails. Then I moved on to nail clippers. Now I cut away the layers of skin covering my fingertips. I've developed a monster callous on my right index finger. Sometimes I use a razor blade if I can't find the clippers...

The spot where the nail meets the skin just itches, you know? Cutting the skin away is the only way to make the itching stop...

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2005, 10:22 pm

I always bite my nails, always have, likely always will.

Rekkr
Raven
Raven

10 Feb 2005, 12:34 am

I play guitar. Sometimes I cut my calouses (spelling?) off with a knife. I really don't know why...

I also bite my nails, but not that much.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2005, 12:40 am

Rekkr wrote:
I play guitar. Sometimes I cut my calouses (spelling?) off with a knife. I really don't know why...

I do that too. I can't believe i'm not the only one. :o

FuzzyChickens
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2005, 2:06 am

Holy crap. Maybe I DO have AS...

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2005, 10:42 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Rekkr wrote:

I do that too. I can't believe i'm not the only one. :o

Actually I usually chew mine off, usually when I've not played for a week or so and they start going "flaky"

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2005, 12:44 pm

I bite mine...

It's sort of a safety measure...

synchro
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2005, 7:01 pm

I bite my nails, the cuticles, and my knuckles. This has damaged my front teeth and a dentist once told me I would need root canals eventually if I didn't stop.

Today I saw a different dentist. She said my teeth were fine! They're chipped, but I'm nowhere near needing a root canal. I never liked that other dentist...

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2005, 7:00 pm

I have never bitten my nails- I do tend to pull at them when they get too long though.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 8:59 am

ed wrote:
I always bit my fingernails (until it stopped more-or-less spontaneously about 6-8 years ago). Once they were short, I had to make them "regular", with no loose or uneven ends. That went for the cuticles, too. Any loose piece had to be peeled off until no loose pieces remained. Made myself bleed many times.

I do, I do!

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 9:05 am

ed wrote:

Wow dude, you got me to a "T" right there.

If I got bored with fingers (no loose ends), I'd go for my knuckles. Second set from the finger tips.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 9:15 am

My nails grow long naturaly but I do not bite them, it does not feel right, I have been told that my nails are quite strong when I get my toenails cut my mother has to try realy hard to cut it. Though I do pick at my nails with my other nails, mostly using my thumb nails which are like toenails. But when they are short the skin which is usualy protected by my nails feels bad when something touches it feels realy bad, I have noticed that it is cushiony compared to other peoples. It feels realy unatural when it touches things I don't know how others can stand it.