Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2011, 4:25 am

... once stepped out into society?

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 4:29 am

i kinda strugle now but its okay i had good grades.

Tsela
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Nov 2011, 4:52 am

I had very good grades, but it took me 6 years (including a total of 1 year unemployed) to finally get some job security. And it can still be a struggle.

http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/
http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 5:28 am

I had very good grades in high school, but struggled emotionally at the same time (depression, anxiety).

I did not cope when I went to university, which was much more unstructured, and I failed quite a few courses because I just didn't have the emotional energy to complete work or social confidence to see my tutors about it (there was no concept of Asperger's Syndrome at that time, and I was not diagnosed until many years later).

It wasn't until I moved into a supportive and rehabilitative environment in my twenties that I was able to stop floundering and make some headway academically, romantically, and in employment. I still have problems with executive function, sensory sensitivity, and emotional regulation (e.g. meltdowns), but I also have a successful career in research and IT, as well as a wife and family.

camelCase
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2011, 5:30 am

I had great grades until I had too many teachers. I also was able to get good grades for short periods of time, but it took every essence of being, every drop of energy while doing so. It was not really sustainable.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 8:26 am

I had great grade and perfect attendance through 4 years of high school-I was the only person in my class with perfect attendance. and struggle to this day.

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2011, 9:01 am

one-A-N wrote:
I had very good grades in high school, but struggled emotionally at the same time (depression, anxiety).

That is true for me, and of course socially at school and university. I have always done moderately well so that I have not got support as academically I am fine but yet not brilliant where someone would also step in and push me forward. I have had to just work hard on my own to get anywhere. I got a PhD and 4.5 years later at 30 years old I have got my first graduate job since my undergrad degree which finished in 2002. I have been temping in mainly admin/secretarial jobs. I have struggled with keeping friendships and I only just married my partner of 10 years as that didn't seem sorted either.

CrayzeeL3ggz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Nov 2011, 11:26 am

I always have had problems in a conventional classroom environment.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 11:28 am

Just because a lot of the time I had good grades at school did not mean I was not struggling, but yes I would say life does seem a bit more difficult now.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Nov 2011, 12:15 pm

My answer probably shouldn't count, because I attended Los Angeles public schools. I had outstanding grades, and got the #1 score on the English final in high school. But had I been in a real school without politically-correct grading, I'd have been average. And yes, I struggled terribly with the social aspects of school. My attendance record was a record-breaking failure, albeit my A average in the classes themselves.

Charles

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2011, 1:59 pm

I had really good grades (except for math), but when I got to college I dropped out within the first year because of the same lack of emotional energy.

RandomNickname
Raven
Raven

18 Nov 2011, 3:52 pm

Well i got 13 As/A*s at GCSE when i was 14. Then got 4 As at A Level when i was 16, so i guess not. /brag. I have an annoyingly good memory ~ I'm not actually that clever.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 3:58 pm

That is why I got my diagnosis after gradating from college...In school academics are what mattered, now I don't have academics to turn to. Need to get back into grad school.

JakeGronie
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Nov 2011, 6:57 am

I excel at education and I'm an utter failure in all other aspects of my life. I'm a train wreck with good grades. I graduated with honors at Kent State. I was going for a masters but my mental health and substance abuse made me drop out.

kopetski

20 Nov 2011, 5:02 pm

I went from *promising* college student who graduated almost with honors to unemployed for 8 years now, and enrolled into programs to improve my chances on job market..

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 5:31 pm

Absolutely. I am good at school, but can't hold down a minimum-wage job. I hope to get a job that uses as many of the same skills as school, in order to become self-supporting.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com