Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 5:29 am

I am diagnosed with depressions, but I believe that my mainproblem is an anxiety disorder and not really depressions.

But I'm not really sure.

Some symptoms are the same and so on.

I don't feel miserable in the morning and I'm still active.
I tend not to do things because I'm worried, but I'm also sometimes, it overcomes me, and the emotions are too much.
I don't know if those situations are depression or melt downs.

How do I find out?

If I make anxiety tests, I allways score very high. I I make depression tests, I sometimes score nothing and on another depression test a bit and on the next one very high. I don't understand that!? :?

I ALLWAYS have this emotional pressure in me.
Is this typical for depressions?
I heard that by depressions you feel very often empty inside, but I NEVER ever feel empty inside. I allways have this pressure in me. THIS is my problem. :?

I'm diagnosed since years with depression, but in the hospital they asked me: "What's so depressive about you? You are active most of the time." :?
But I still had problems, and was highly confused with all those changes there.
And since I have this pressure I'm a lot more overloaded from all those noises around me and stuff.
But I sleep more, because I feel overloaded a lot. I feel frightened of all those noises around me.

Raziel

LunaUlysses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2011, 3:50 pm

Not so much sure on how to tell ya about the problem, but did want to say I do like your forum screen name. =)

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2011, 10:15 pm

Anxiety and depression can be "secondary disorders" caused by something else that lies beneath. For example, according to Tony Attwood, many people with Asperger's suffer from anxiety and depression or even PTSD and other disorders. Did your doctors take that into account that you can have something else?

The way I understand pure depression is that it get worse and worse, deeper and deeper... If depression switches often to anxiety and then back to depression you may have another underlying condition.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 12:54 am

AdamDZ wrote:
Anxiety and depression can be "secondary disorders" caused by something else that lies beneath.

They allways tell me all comes from autism. I'm quite anoyed about that answer. :roll:

AdamDZ wrote:
The way I understand pure depression is that it get worse and worse, deeper and deeper... If depression switches often to anxiety and then back to depression you may have another underlying condition.

But not with all depressive, does it? :?
I actually feal more frightened now, but when I started to get depressions, the diagnoses was probably right. I'm kind of confused about it.

As a child I experienced attachment therapy (Video, trigger!), I remembered a fiew years ago, I was very little and eventhough I wasn't screamed at like in that video, it wasn't a nice experince.
I allways was claustrophobic so far I can remember. Not really bat, just a little. I never toled anyone, I did't really understand myself that I was claustrophobic.
A bit more than a year ago I was in a locked ward for a week, because I overreacted. Since then everything got worse and now I'm horryfied that this can ever happen to me again.
I'm totally scared.
And I NEVER ever want to be locked away, NEVER.
But how do I know, if this will ever happen again?
I can't.

I'm also frightened of psychiatrists and it didn't got better, because with my old psychiatrist there were a lot of missunderstandings. He was nice, but didn't know about autism and often scared me, because I missunderstood something or so. Than he kicked me two month ago and I didn't know for a whole month to whom I will come and was extremly anxious at that time. Now I have a new psychiatrist and she seams really nice, but I'm still scared of here, so I just want to come once a month, but my fear doesn't got away. :cry:

I also lost 8 years ago 3 people in 2 weeks (my father, half-brother and a friend of mine). That's how my depressions started back then. But I'm not (really) depressed anymore, I'm totaly anxious since a whole while. :(

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2011, 10:04 am

Did you seek other opinions? I realized that seeing the same psychiatrist for years might not be the best idea. It gets stale. You might need a fresh look at your issues. You can also try a psychologist too or specialized autism center. Psychiatrists are sometimes (often?) scary and weird. I found that psychologists are much more comfortable to work with and more insightful. In particular if you can find an autism center that has PhD level psychologists who are actually involved in research as well. I know, it can be difficult to find such place. Check universities around you.

If you have been positively diagnosed with autism and your autism causes difficulties in your life then it's probably true that your depression is either caused by it or made worse by it. You're likely suffer from PTSD too due to your tragic loss. I'd definitely seek another opinion and alternative treatments and/or consider changes in your life so that your autism will be less of a problem for you.

But then, I'm no expert. I only read one book so far and a handful of research papers.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 11:17 am

AdamDZ wrote:
Did you seek other opinions? I realized that seeing the same psychiatrist for years might not be the best idea. It gets stale. You might need a fresh look at your issues.

I have a new one since one or two month.
She is quite allright, but doesn't know much about autism, but that's nothing new. Most psychiatrists in my country know nothing about autism and if they do, it's just clichée or they have seen Rainman once what doesn't help eather.

AdamDZ wrote:
You can also try a psychologist too or specialized autism center.

I have been diagnosed with autism more than once, so that's not the problem, but in my city there is no autism center. In the next city there is, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it and it's a two hour drive one distance I guess.

AdamDZ wrote:
If you have been positively diagnosed with autism and your autism causes difficulties in your life then it's probably true that your depression is either caused by it or made worse by it. You're likely suffer from PTSD too due to your tragic loss.

Maybe, but before the tragic loss I never had an anxiety disorder and stuff and was well integrated.
I see it this way that autism didn't cause my anxieties, but made it difficulte for me to cope with the situation.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 11:25 am

Sorry for making an off-topic comment but I'd just like to say that it's great to see another Legacy of Kain fan. :D

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 11:32 am

Lecks wrote:
Sorry for making an off-topic comment but I'd just like to say that it's great to see another Legacy of Kain fan. :D

Actually I'm not, I just like the name. :wink: