Page 1 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 7:27 am

In light of sterotypes being used in both the chat's and the boards, I thought I might as well clear this up for yall.

Redneck: A person from the South-East United States (predominitly, but also found elsewhere. Proud of there heritage, can be any color, and are NOT racists, neo-cons, etc. Is known to fly the Rebel flag, but to celebrate heritage, and not hate.

Hillbilly: A person who is known as a racist, drunkerd, and over... not a very nice person. Does not recogonnize the United States Government, instead, refuses to let the old Conferate States of America die.

I hope this clears up some pre-dispositions....

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 9:17 am

I didn't know there was a distinction.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 10:13 am

I thought it was the other way around. In Sweden we use the English word redneck for a guy who is some kind of hippie/nazi mutant, driving American cars (or old, tuned up Volvos), hating all foreigners, smoking pot and having the CSA flag and/or the Swedish flag all over their houses...

'Tis munny in my purse.

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 11:32 am

no.... that would be a hillbilly....

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 11:52 am

WHOA rakkety use a smaller picture, that monster is dominating half my screen

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 11:55 am

i am a member of the rubber duck followers, we all have avatars that size. :-) :twisted:

lae
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 1:24 am

Growing up, I was always told that a hillbilly was a country person from the hills. (Like Appalachia)
I was told the term redneck came from having hair so short that your neck was sunburned. When I was growing up, the rednecks were the ones with the reputation for beating up hippies and minorities, and we were advised to be careful around them. Maybe the words mean something different today.

I never hear anyone mention the melungeons.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 4:38 am

You're probably right about the ethymology of "hillbilly". Probably about the word "redneck" too, though today the "rednecks" could themselves look like hippies, even if they still believe in the code of the Clan and Mein Kampf.

THOSE AVATARS ARE TAKING A LOT OF BAND BROAD, YOU MORONS!! !

'Tis munny in my purse.

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 7:47 am

Litigious wrote:
You're probably right about the ethymology of "hillbilly". Probably about the word "redneck" too, though today the "rednecks" could themselves look like hippies, even if they still believe in the code of the Clan and Mein Kampf.

THOSE AVATARS ARE TAKING A LOT OF BAND BROAD, YOU MORONS!! !

I am a redneck, and I find the fact that you say that we beleave in the KKK and that idiot Hitler's beliefs extremly offensive. And no, he is NOT right about the ethymology of Hillbilly and Redneck.

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 10:48 am

Oh so your pic is on purpose? Forget about hillbillies and rednecks, you're just a plain old idiot :D

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 12:24 am

Wikipedia has long articles about "redneck" and "hillbilly." You can imagine how bored I sometimes get to know that.

I'm amazed that the confederate flag has made it all the way to sweden.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 8:06 am

CanyonWind wrote:
Wikipedia has long articles about "redneck" and "hillbilly." You can imagine how bored I sometimes get to know that.

That flag is in Australia too.

Rednecks here are guys that drive utes (pick-ups), like hunting and shooting etc.

Redneck (or Roinek) in South Africa, I am told is a derrogatory term for someone of English Descent (like Lae said, back of neck got sunburnt).

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 8:21 am

CanyonWind wrote:

Both the confederate flag and the star-spanlged banner are more popular than the Swedish flag in this strange country...

'Tis munny in my purse.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 11:15 am

I disagree with Rakkety_Tamm's entymology. I live in the Deep South. I always thought a hillbilly was a person who was literally from the "hills"--the southern part of the Appalachian mountain range. The men wear overalls, plaid and have beards--they look like lumberjacks essentially. The women wear dresses or a t-shirt and blue jeans, and always have long hair. They have a distinctive accent. I have never heard of any political association that has been made with the term hillbilly. In fact, I only thought of them as great Americans, even if they are a bit eccentric, who enjoy a rural lifestyle.

I have heard of negative political associations with the term redneck--mostly made by individuals who would call themselves "liberal." I know many rednecks. Most Southerners are not rednecks. I do not consider rednecks necessarily racist or drunkards. It is true that some can be rather obnoxious and I wouldn't get into a political debate with one, because they wouldn't follow the rules of debate! Rednecks are not strongly racist as they used to be. They could be just as strongly in favor of one thing one day as another the next, except when it comes to their Confederate heritage, of which they consistently proud. What gets rednecks in the most trouble is the strongness and expressiveness of their opinions, even about things they know little about intellectually.

Note: Also, the American cowboy and the redneck are not the same. You would find the American cowboy to be much more liberal and principled than a redneck. They are not even geographically close.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 1:36 pm

Litigious wrote:
I thought it was the other way around. In Sweden we use the English word redneck for a guy who is some kind of hippie/nazi mutant, driving American cars (or old, tuned up Volvos), hating all foreigners, smoking pot and having the CSA flag and/or the Swedish flag all over their houses...

I thought that the proper plural form for these people was Raggare.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2006, 3:19 pm

The United States is like some ancient extinct culture studied by archaeologists. What is known about us comes primarily from our garbage.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina