Bring back arranged marriages?

Page 1 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2011, 10:40 pm

Divorce rates and suicide rates of the modern age have risen as extreme individualism has left lots of people with Aspergers and other conditions: lonely, isolated and rejected by society. Aspergers is an extreme form of social isolation, rejection from society and extreme social anxiety. A person with Aspergers who has no friends, no social networks and an outcast is far more likely to end his or her life.

The parents used to arrange the marriages of their children. Now instead of parents: friends and social networks set people up on dates or marriages. People with Aspergers have very few or in some cases like me no friends at all.

deconstruction
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 10:49 pm

Do you really think arranged marriages work better? Don't romanticize these things.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2011, 10:57 pm

Cultural revolutions from the 1960s and empowering minority groups to have more power than the average law abiding citizen. Minority groups making more noise have black mailed and extorted more power and freedoms.
Political correctness has seen an end to arranged marriages in the western developed world. Arranged marriages still exist in poorer countries and people in those countries live a more peaceful harmonic society. Poor countries are not all oppressed as we are lead to believe by liberal mainstream media.

Modern liberal media has brainwashed western world into making broad generalisations and setereotypes. Pictures and footage of starving women and children in Africa, Asia and South America is liberal propaganda that pulls at people's heart string regardless of their political or religious persuasions.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2011, 11:11 pm

More western men have to go to Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America or Africa in pursuit iof finding a wife. The western world women have high unrealistic expectations that can never be met by men living in their own country. Women can rarely be satisfied and they usually want more shoes, more handbags, more clothes, more make up, more jewellery and more holidays, etc.

deconstruction
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 11:12 pm

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
Arranged marriages still exist in poorer countries and people in those countries live a more peaceful harmonic society.

Eh... I hate to burst your bubble, but this is simply not true.

Like I said, don't romanticize arranged marriages, poor countries, etc.

~ A citizen of a poor country

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 11:14 pm

I only wish that my parents had cared enough about me to even once suggest a woman that would be a suitable match for me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

deconstruction
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 11:16 pm

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
More western men have to go to Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America or Africa in pursuit iof finding a wife. The western world women have high unrealistic expectations that can never be met by men living in their own country. Women can rarely be satisfied and they usually want more shoes, more handbags, more clothes, more make up, more jewellery and more holidays, etc.

Good luck with finding an Eastern European woman who doesn't want more shoes, handbags, clothes, makeup.

(I'm aware you're not writing any of this to get answers... I just couldn't resist). :twisted:

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2011, 11:19 pm

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:

Maybe you should stop spending so much time with the "Sex & The City" cast? :lol:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 75 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2011, 11:24 pm

I don't think arranged marriages are a good idea, but I do think the idea of friends and family aiding someone in finding a mate is a good idea. The people who know you best and ideally have your best interests at heart should be your best resource for finding a a well-suited long-term partner. If you have social issues then relying on your NT friends and/or family to help you navigate the process of finding a mate makes sense.

Forced marriage is little better than rape, and that's what marriage amounts to in many countries where arranged marriage is common.

As far as women from third world countries being less materialistic and more docile, that's obviously a false and misogynistic statement.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 11:36 pm

Great idea! Here's yours:

Well it's settled then. You have no choice in the matter. Oh, but I'm sure you'll have a wonderful life together :)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 11:46 pm

my father's friends were other alcoholics. i'd hate to see who he would have picked for me. i had to wait until age 52, but i, all by myself (at work) found mr. right.

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2011, 11:49 pm

cathylynn wrote:
my father's friends were other alcoholics. i'd hate to see who he would have picked for me. i had to wait until age 52, but i, all by myself (at work) found mr. right.

That's why I said Ideally. I wouldn't trust my family, but if my friends found someone they thought was a good match I'd at least consider dating him if he didn't completely repulse me.

B3astM4n
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2011, 12:44 am

I saw arranged marriages and immediately thought, Murphy's Law on that one.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 1:09 am

I live in an area where there are still a number of arranged marriages and most of the individuals in such marriages are not happy. Arguments are frequent, sometimes severe enough for the police to be called, and infidelity is common.

NoMrCollins
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Nov 2011, 1:12 am

Arraigned marriages are simply another way of finding a spouse. They neither guarantee success or failure. I think the biggest surprise for most is that in most arraigned marriages the couple actually have a say in whether or not they want to get married. There are those who are forced into the marriage, but those are not very common.

Marriages succeed not because of some magical feeling of love that just “happens” between two people, but they succeed because both people work at the marriage. Love doesn’t just happen, you have to work at it.

I do like the idea of friends and family helping you find someone. The problem that I have found is that my friends and family either are too busy with their lives to care, or as many have stated to my face, they are embarrassed of me and are not willing to introduce me to anyone. When I ask for help, I am told that if I can’t figure it out on my own, then I am not good enough to be a husband anyways.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 1:47 am

And as far as brides from eastern Europe and Asia, they are after two things. Money and citizenship. It's unlikely that they will actually love you, or stay with you once they see the opportunity to leave...with their money and citizenship.