Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Telefunkenfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2011, 10:58 pm

I dunno if this is the right forum or if this is a bit personal( nothing sexual) but I need some opinions and or recommendations on this..
I dunno how many of you out there have never worked but ever since I WAS able to work( 16 so the say..) I have been unable to find ANY job..Now I am an electronics wiz and a amateur chemist of almost a decade..I am a walking chemist/RF shop among other academic issues..But no matter what I do or who I talk to I can't find work..
I went to a DOL work evaluation program and that went really well there but the moment I try to apply elsewhere? Anywhere else? not a single call back. I do not know what I am doing wrong..maybe my AS IS as bad as I think it is..
but bear in mind this as well: I had had to take care of my mother until she died.While I can say I was there when she went home( Heaven, to any wondering)I couldn't build any work experience given how demanding that is. I had been a bona fide care taker for her from 1997 to 2010.adding to that now my father is ill( not as bad thankfully)... I am indeed a High school graduate.. with a dual prep diploma if that helps.But with a piss poor resume( again being a HAM radio operator and a draftsman are nice to say but they want degrees and poor men have trouble paying for those..)nothing seems to pan out. My question is this: would I be better of trying to start a tube electronics repair business?OR can I actually get disability with AS? what would help me get disability? or should I keep going to college and fight like hell to work up to a chemical engineering degree? what do you recommend?

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 1:28 am

Definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY go to college. Jobs will like you a lot better if you go to college, and you'll have even more experience working your ass off.

And how is that personal? It just seems normal.

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2011, 4:25 am

If ANYONE is given the choice of going to college and anything else, the choice should always be to better yourself. This is what college is. I can reassure you that your life will be easier with a college degree.

This is coming from someone who got her 3rd bachelors degree when she(I) was 43.