Do aspies act hyper nor act there age?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SamWiseAspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2011, 4:49 pm

Hi Aspies

For a while now i have wondered whether its just me or whether it is a trait of my asspergers but i have come to realise at work and outside of work i can be very hyper at times and never really act my real age, now is this just me or is it an aspie thing coming out, obv i know we arn't all the same too the tee with our asspergers but im just wondering if there are others out there that feel the same as i do!

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Sam

mikey1138
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2011, 5:01 pm

Same :D

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 5:02 pm

hello, fellow aspie.
when i was in my twenties and early thirties i was sooooooo hyperactive people thought i was on drugs which i never once took. i stay away from that like fire... and don't drink. i walked for miles, real fast, and enjoyed it tremendously. took kickboxing classes and exhausted myself till i collasped. worked for mcdonalds and burger king and rushed around like crazy, enjoying the adrenaline sprinting around gave me. i was addicted to adrenaline. my supervisor said he thinks i have nervous energy and have a problem. i just skipped around like a lunatic.
i'm 45 now and can't be hyper because i don't have the youth energy anymore, and i really miss it. shame.
i don't act my age. as a child i acted more mature at times and my parents said i'm a walking talking encyclopedia. or sometimes i acted younger. and on slight occasions i might still do.
i've known an autistic person once and he kept pacing very fast, so that looks a bit hyper to me. i think most autistic people are hyper.
also read in the internet about an aspie kid who was absolutely terribly hyper.
you might want to try a pole.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 5:05 pm

People with aspergers also struggle with concentration, hyperactivity, focus and attention.
I'm hyper sometimes too. I have a lot of energy and many times feel the need to climb, jump or run. Or i am very talkative.
It depends on person's personality.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 5:16 pm

I wouldn't say I'm really hyperactive, but I can act like a 3-year-old sometimes, like when I'm sitting in the living-room with my parents. It's because I start getting bored. I usually do things like touch the cat delibrately so I can hear when she miaws, so my parents have to say, ''don't touch the cat'' several times. I also sit and say really stupid things, things what don't need to be said or want to be heard. Also I remember once a few years ago I threw something down on the floor in a temper, my dad picked it up and put it on the table and I picked it up and threw it on the floor again. Now that is f*****g typical toddler behaviour - LIKE WHAT THE f**k IS THE MATTER WITH ME??????????????! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 5:17 pm

AnotherKind wrote:
People with aspergers also struggle with concentration, hyperactivity, focus and attention.
I'm hyper sometimes too. I have a lot of energy and many times feel the need to climb, jump or run. Or i am very talkative.
It depends on person's personality.

I thought that was typical in people with ADHD?

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 5:25 pm

Joe90 wrote:

From what i've read, the difference between people with ADHD and Aspergers is that aspies can control themselves whilst those with adhd have uncontrolled behaviour and can't stand still.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 5:29 pm

AnotherKind wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

From what i've read, the difference between people with ADHD and Aspergers is that aspies can control themselves whilst those with adhd have uncontrolled behaviour and can't stand still.

Oh, now I understand. Thanks. :)

I suppose that's right with me too. I generally do act my age, but when I get bored I start getting restless and I feel I have to say anything what pops into my head or do any intention that pops into my head, just for fun. But underneath, I can control it. I could just sit there and not say anything and not do anything what toddlers would do.

The only thing I can't control is anxiety, and I suppose that's how people with ADHD feel when it comes to concentration and stuff like that.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 5:36 pm

Joe90 wrote:
The only thing I can't control is anxiety, and I suppose that's how people with ADHD feel when it comes to concentration and stuff like that.

I'm anxious too. And very energic sometimes. But it depends on the mood.
My pleasure :)

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 5:49 pm

Yes, I have that too. It is ADHD: a fairly common comorbidity of Asperger Syndrome. Or is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditions ... rders#ADHD

Apparently, they are not comorbid at all, but the symptoms are similar. That is new to me. Living and learning, as they say.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 6:13 pm

Magnus_Rex wrote:
Yes, I have that too. It is ADHD: a fairly common comorbidity of Asperger Syndrome. Or is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditions ... rders#ADHD

Apparently, they are not comorbid at all, but the symptoms are similar. That is new to me. Living and learning, as they say.

Don't despair, consider your source. :)

(a wiki article doesn't prove anything) http://www.auburn.edu/~lal0011/autism/simonoff.pdf [specifically, 28.2 % of studied autistic children have comorbid ADHD/ADD]

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2011, 7:09 pm

I've always acted younger than my age--and looked it for most of my life.

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2011, 7:10 pm

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 7:19 pm

Lucywlf wrote:

me too

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2011, 7:50 pm

I'm 22 but I look and act about 17-19, I still get asked for ID all the time and I feel like a teenager. I've been to university and I am very mature in some ways, but very immature in others. I don't feel like I'm entirely cut out for the "adult" world :?

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

17 Dec 2011, 8:55 pm

To others I rarely act like an adult. Even though I'm in my mid-20's I fidget and run around, play with toys in stores, get carded for trying to buy M-rated games or R-rated movies, get told by initiative supporters that I need to be at least 18 to vote, get denied drinks by bartenders because they think I have a fake ID, the list goes on. On the other hand, one of my NT brothers (who's three years younger than I) never gets carded when buying an M-rated game.