Facebook ultra fail!! !!

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

zeroed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2012, 9:30 am

So if one takes a chance at "reaching out" and someone that knows your friends as well as you clicks the button that they do not know the friend inviter...don't treat them like a criminal and cause them to get a flagged account! For a simple friend request (no excessive repetitive communications or prior friend requests) it is unnecessary. If someone makes their account secure by using photos besides her own face, it does not mean it is the fake account of a criminal. Boycotting friend request sending except while on the phone at the time of the sending and receiving of the request is the only remaining way that I will ever send one now. Be careful! The last thing any aspie needs is to get in trouble for a misunderstanding.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 10:23 am

My experience of Facebook:

Open account.

Wtf! Who are these people?

Close account.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2012, 11:35 am

Orr wrote:

Open account.

Close account.

My experience too! Haha!

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:54 am

Eh? Did someone report you to Facebook for trying to friend them? That's bonkers!

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 6:30 pm

ghostar wrote:
Orr wrote:

Open account.

Close account.

My experience too! Haha!

:D yup

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:17 pm

mar00 wrote:
ghostar wrote:
Orr wrote:

Open account.

Close account.

My experience too! Haha!

:D yup

My experience with Facebook:

Don't open account.

Eat pie.

Don't have mealdown.

happydorkgirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jan 2012, 11:19 pm

My experience with Facebook:

Avoid like the plague.

Join because academic advisor wants you to join his lab page.

OMGPEOPLEGOAWAY

Avoid Facebook.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 4:05 am

Moog wrote:
Eh? Did someone report you to Facebook for trying to friend them? That's bonkers!

You can get a message about sending too many friend requests and be unallowed to send them for a while if several people reject your invitations.

It happened to me when I was starting to use it.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 5:47 am

I think people reporting someone for adding you as a friend is an idiot. It doesn't mean they are spam or trolls or criminals. Just ignore their request and problem solved. I always ignore requests if it's some random person who isn't on any of the forums or groups I go to but luckily it's rare

I also very rarely send out friends requests because I am afraid to. I am afraid of getting rejected and being treated like a criminal.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 8:46 am

spongy wrote:
Moog wrote:

You can get a message about sending too many friend requests and be unallowed to send them for a while if several people reject your invitations.

Oh really? I guess it's an anti-spammer measure or something.

I very rarely send more than one or two a year

zeroed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2012, 10:35 am

You are all extremely understanding people. most everything on this forum is sane and accurate. i hate to have an us and them attitude and say some stereotype of NT's or even consider the existence of NT's (to prevent me being prejudiced against them). Perhaps my differences are with a very few people....but i did not send more than one request, my photo is not offensive, i did not write anything off the wall in my "about me" i think when i allow myself to feel guilty i am putting wasted effort out to the dismissive person that reported me for sending a friend request. everyone is right about facebook, it is really filled with a lot of people that play games with others to-

1) prolong conflict and uncertainty

2) attack anyone that does not agree with them

i have found it easier to write (my grammar is bad in this post i am very aware of it, but i am also very upset- sorry for the excuses!) better for those within my field, with an editor that i pass things through. the very few mean people that i have dealt with harass a lot less if they have to write to a magazine editor to complain.

there is an NT person who i was interviewing for an article and i sent him questions, he took the questions and crafted them into a pseudoscientific rant, then threatened me with intel property lawsuit if I wrote about it- he/she has harassed me for over a year. the professional journalists i know told me he is bluffing. just write it he can do nothing, especially since the words will be different.

so i do not blog independently anymore. recently i found out the person that threatened the lawsuit tried to steal my identity and spread some things that are provably untrue all over the net... so i am trying to get that taken down...

so, to be fair maybe the person saw some of the things this NT posted? Either way, people use fb a certain way yet punish others for doing the same thing. i could be biased about "how dare you not accept the request." It could have been something posted by someone that scared the fb invitee..

i was doing my normal things, making twitter lists about biological science, and an editor asked me publicly on twitter to write two articles. a very small number of people online got very hostile, including the aforementioned NT, and they went on a dirt digging mission for over a year. when evidence was shown to not support their "story" about me they then started to spread the info just to see others would believe it. sadly i have evidence of this (i wish i was just speculating)
so then i wrote emails ccd to a family member as a witness to tell them to stop and show evidence to the contrary. so from one email sent by my hubby they told my husband he was stalking them! to add insult to injury i made screenshots saved the network traffic info, and used bbflashback to respond to the person because they accused me of writing my husband's emails. i showed them this evidence to stop the misunderstanding and to correct the error. this made them madder. it is common advice to ignore harassers but when my only job options are online i have to protect myself. i sleep about 2 hrs a night...very tired of this. they just spread the info more and more. a normal person would have just stopped telling people inaccurate info after they saw proof that they were not accurate with identifying the person they are cybersanctioning. the more evidence for inaccuracy i revealed to them caused my harassers to become more angry and to continue to circulate the negative untrue info

thank you to everyone that responded, i was kind of scared to look at the responses here too, fortunately i was not attacked here. i am not against disagreement (disagreements are not attacks IMO), just harassment. thanks again

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:53 pm

That's one of the reasons that I'm not on Facebook very often.

Daemonic-Jackal
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 3:21 pm

Moog wrote:

That happened to me about a month ago as well, and I only add people that I've met in person.

Having said that there's no need for the anti-facebook attitude on here, it's the fault of the individual who thinks they are being funny by making false reports, not the actual social networking website itself.

http://www.facebook.com/YentonianCarlos

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 9:00 pm

Moog wrote:
spongy wrote:
Moog wrote:

Oh really? I guess it's an anti-spammer measure or something.

I very rarely send more than one or two a year

You generally get that message when sending friend requests to people you don't know, but request you friend them (i.e. I need a gaming buddy so I don't have to pay for points to progress in the game (farmville, cafeworld, etc...))

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 9:25 am

My account has been hacked I think...I can't request anyone for 7 days. I usually at least have 1 friend in common on there.

Anju
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2012, 3:48 pm

I think Facebook has sometimes hurt my friendships more than helped because for some reason people are more likely to get annoyed with me on facebook and creates a lot of miss understandings.