Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 6:26 am

Even though I'm very sensitive to loud noises I have always had trouble hearing way people are saying in both screen and in life. My niece and myself respond better to non-dialect messages using noises or sign language. With movies I use subtitles. Most people know I can hear stuff going on even some exchange of words, but as for the casual conversation or talk, I have trouble hearing a thing. I'm not told it has something to do with "Auditor Processing "Disorder".

So anyone else do this? Am I the only one?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 6:29 am

I put subtitles on, to see what they're actually saying, if the characters are talking rather fast.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Candles15
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jan 2012, 6:37 am

I always tend to put Subtitles on because It bugs me even If I don't hear one word clearly.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 1:32 pm

I don't use subtitles for English things but I like watching shows in Japanese with English subtitles. Most people I know in real life don't like reading subtitles.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 2:11 pm

I always use the subtitles/closed captioning for two reasons:
-I'm not a huge fan of playing my movies loud (it's a film, not a rock concert).
-I want to be able to understand what they're saying in the scenes with fast dialog or lots of overlapping sounds.

Ozzer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2012, 2:41 pm

I ALWAYS put subtitles on. I have very sensitive hearing but if someone isn't looking at the camera when they say something I have trouble understanding.

TheFerretHadToGo
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2012, 3:47 pm

Ozzer wrote:
I ALWAYS put subtitles on. I have very sensitive hearing but if someone isn't looking at the camera when they say something I have trouble understanding.

It bothers me too when I can´t see who is talking, especially if the actors have similar voices and dialects. The voice has to be very distinct so you easily can recognize which character it belongs to.

Another thing that bothers me is all the whispering in movies, I can´t make out half of what they say even if I turn up the volume real high.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 8:31 pm

I have difficulty hearing/understanding the dialog in most movies, so I have to put the subtitles on. It's especially difficult with characters who are speaking with a different accent/dialect other than American ones (for example, British ones).

HollowHills
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2012, 8:37 pm

I put subtitles on whenever I can, its a lot easier than having to replay a scene over and over just to understand what someone is saying, since I tend to process information a lot slower verbally than visually.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 4:03 am

I only put the subtitles on if anyone is speaking in a foreign language like "Sara's Key" I had to read them so I could follow the story.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 4:09 am

I use subtitles whenever possible. I was just talking to a co-worker about this, how I can hear just fine (sometimes too well) but for some reason I can't always understand the speech in tv/movies. In person is easier because I can usually see the speakers face and rely a bit on lip reading to fill in the gaps. Glad to know I'm not alone :)

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 9:17 am

I always have the subtitles on. It's nice when a pretty song comes on and the subtitles let you know what it is!

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 12:57 pm

I'm beginning to dislike subtitles more and more, since I like to do something while watching a movie e.g. guitar playing or browsing the net, I find it hard to concentrate on reading while I do, so I tend to avoid movies where subtitles are necessary. Shame since the foreign films tend to be the best ones.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2012, 8:52 pm

Yep. I use subtitles all the time. I don't want to miss anything important.

Dent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2012, 7:22 pm

I tend to use subtitles now. I don't even listen to what the person is saying, I just read the text. When I try to focus on just their spoken words I get all kinds of confused.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 12:19 pm

I always switch the subtitles on. I have a slight hearing loss, enough to make it difficult for me to hear clearly what people say, especially when there is background noise, so it's good to have the subtitles on if I miss a few words. I only read the subtitles if I don't hear what was said. I usually ignore them when I hear the words well enough.

I also learn new words from movies sometimes and I like to know how they are spelled too, so I like to use the subtitles.