Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2012, 8:26 pm

are you able to go on a bus or to suvere ?
i wasnt able to get on a bus on my own until i was like 16 and a half
i have to wear my headphones or i panic and hit myself
i have to sit on a seat on my own.
i tried using a badge to say i had autism so the bus driver wouldnt be mean to me but still did
now i have a bus pass where i get on the buss for free

have you ever meldtdown on bus?

has anyone wispered about you ? or herd anyone say autism?

(just so you know im not AS and im a girl)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 9:18 pm

I've had meltdowns on the bus a number of times because I though we were going to crash, either because the driver suddenly slammed on the breaks or got really close to a car or the car blew its horn really long. It was awful, people were acting like they thought I was psycho. One time I walked two or three miles back home in the pouring rain because I can handle the elements but I couldn't handle getting back on the bus again. But I don't drive and I can't afford a car, and I'm lucky there even IS a bus system where I live because it's just a big hick town that's at least 20 years behind the rest of the world. :x

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2012, 9:26 pm

I love sitting in the back so it's bumpy, it's fun :D I guess I never grew up. Oh well 8)

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 9:31 pm

I like to sit in the front with all the adults, seniours and special needs people. I have a need to feel safe.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 9:36 pm

I catch buses all the time no one bothers me there are people that are regulars and they usually say hello.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 9:57 pm

I struggle with the bus, I need to take it every weekday, so it's hard. I HAVE to have my headphones, if I don't, it's bad. I don't have meltdowns anymore, but I get really anxious. I can't breathe, I feel really tight and feel like stimming. I've never actually stimmed, but I definitely get closer then I normally do in public. I don't like sitting with people, but I usually have to. I take any window seat, if at all possible, and with my headphones, it really does make it easier. I just have to try to separate myself from the noises I hear, even with the headphones on. Nearly impossible without them though.

proxybear
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2012, 9:59 pm

I take the bus almost every day and I have no problems doing so, nor have I ever had any.

I just find a seat where I can be seated by myself. If the bus is kind of packed I put a bag or something on the outer seat or if I don't have any I just sit on the outer seat. I despise having a stranger sit next to me. If a stranger asks "can I sit here" I tend to just look another way and act like I did not hear them. If they continue to ask I'll move my bag and they'll sit down, but I don't really want them to.

If there are only seats left with people in the inner seat I just stand instead of sitting down.

As you can see I don't like getting up too close with strangers, very much those who stink or sneeze spreading bacteria.
When I sit in my seat I try my best not to make eye contact with anyone and just go about my own business thinking about what interests me.

About a year ago there was this really good looking chick who sat next to me once who kept trying to get a conversation going, kept making remarks when the bus driver did some crazy turns etc (yeah, that bus driver was a really lousy driver), and I just didn't know how to respond. I just kept saying "uh huh", "uhm", "ahh ok". It was really awkward. It was worse than getting my hair cut, at least those girls eventually understand when someone isn't that keen on having a conversation about their personal life.

I also had a lady next to me who sneezed into my kebab not too long ago. A big expensive kebab went right to the trash :cry:

The bus system also sucks where I live. They almost doubled their prices in a matter of a few months and added "zones" that has to be payed for. Before I only had to buy a monthly subscription to the bus for the whole area where I live, now to travel anywhere outside regularly I have to pay for different zones. So if I travel 2 zones (which I do, but not too often thankfully) I would have to pay twice as much as I do now. Greedy as company. Shouldn't be legal to abusing peoples need to travel this way.

Last edited by proxybear on 26 Jan 2012, 10:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 10:16 pm

Bag on the seat beside me (and it will NOT be moved. Period.), headphones on with the music loud, staring out the window.

You will reap what you've sown.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 10:33 pm

I don't mind going on buses. I took the bus to school from the time I was in preschool to fourth grade. I also take a bus to get to my cross country and track meets. I was bit scared to go on a bus the first time but I got used to them after a while. When I was younger I'd always worry about the bus missing my stop. That actually did happen once or twice.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 10:34 pm

theaspiemusician wrote:
I love sitting in the back so it's bumpy, it's fun :D I guess I never grew up. Oh well 8)

:lol: me too but it's a bit more embarrassing for me since i'm an adult... plus all the kids used to hog the back in highschool.
i don't have any autism related sensory issues on the bus so i've never had a meltdown and my drivers are usually nice so no hassle there. the only issue i have on a bus is when i have to stand up because i have no sense of balance and i fall on people or step on them. once i fell into an old mans lap, face first. actually i was sitting down when that happened... :oops:

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm

theaspiemusician wrote:

i like siting at the back to look out the big window if the bus isnt bumping on the road lots

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 11:29 pm

I like sitting in the back of the bus with a 40 of my favorite malt liquor, St. Ides, in a brown paper bag.

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2012, 11:58 pm

I live in a small town and rode the bus for a few years. It wasn't so bad. The bus was rarely full enough to require me to share a seat. I'd sit on the outside seat and put my bag on the other seat. If I did have to share a seat it was only for a few minutes. There were a lot of regulars, most of them I liked and I talked to some of them. One guy rode the bus around town many times a day and at first I thought that was really odd then I found out he has autism and it seems like the bus is his thing. I wasn't so sure about him at first but he grew on me. The thing that bothered me the most on the bus was how long it took to do errands. Minimum of 2 hours to do what takes 15-20 minutes by car. Highly impractical. When I got my social security back pay I bought a car.

NT score: 51 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2012, 3:03 am

When I was a teenager I used to hate getting the bus. It made me feel very out of control, especially after a few instances of the bus going the wrong way. It's something that we used to work on in therapy and I guess it must have worked because I can get on buses now and don't feel so anxious, as long as it's one of the regular buses I get so I know which way it's going, what time it goes etc. I still get worked up if the bus is late or full but now I am able to work around that whereas in the past I would run home in tears. With my regular buses I know which stops to get them at so I'm not in a big queue; if there's always loads of people at one stop, I walk to the stop before it so I have a better chance of sitting in my favourite seat.
Those of you who said you sit in the aisle seat, or put something on an empty seat, I think that's pretty selfish (unless the bus is empty). Yes, you have your needs, but what if somebody else needs to sit there? You've only paid for one seat so you shouldn't occupy two. :?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Jan 2012, 3:30 am

I started taking the bus on my own in middle school, so that would be sometime when I was 11-14 years old. I did not like it at all early on, but I ended up over time memorizing the bus routes and timetables for places I needed to go frequently and some routes that I didn't need to use often. I could plan out a trip in my mind almost as quickly as the trip planner app I had for my computer.

However, I prefer taking trips that require no transfers. I prefer to walk more than I want to take a second bus. One transfer is stressful, two transfers really stress me out, and I remember I stopped doing some things I enjoyed doing because from my new location I had to take two buses and the light rail to get to my destination, and minor disturbances in timing could translate into significant lateness.

All that said, if I can get out of using the bus, I will do so. Getting a ride is preferably, as long as the driver knows where they're going and doesn't try to take me down unfamiliar routes and then expect me to give them directions when I'm starting to panic because I have no idea where I am.

When I ride the bus, I prefer the back to the front, I prefer to have a seat to myself, I must have a book so I can read that and ignore the rest of the bus. I will be overloaded by the noise both the people and the bus make, but I haven't had any kind of headphones or earplugs to deal with that in a long time.

I still prefer the bus to having to drive (which I will likely never do).

tuffy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2012, 5:59 am

I prefer bus over train, were people sit facing you. But I do OK with that too, with my headphones on and my face hidden in a book or magazine, or nowadays I play with my phone.
I do get very nervous when I have to take an unfamiliar bus to some new place.