Do you ever really get into the way things feel?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

baaaark
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jan 2012, 5:45 am

While learning more about this, one thing I read was Aspies have concerns with the feel of certain textures. So this made me wanna ask what, if any, of the issues everyone else has with certain feels. I listed some of mine to start.

We got new work shirts and I was the only person out of about 30 to notice our new shirts were now 100% cotton (they were 50/50). I was happy because polyester feels icky and cotton is so much more comfortable. No one else cared.

My favorite fabric is fleece which feels amazing :-) , and wool is not an option because it hurts to wear.

Also its not just what I wear, for example I cannot touch a fake sponge without sending massive shivers down my spine. It's so intense if I was forced into having one rubbed on me I would probably start seriously freaking the *bleep* out and probably start screaming.

Lightly touching certain really smooth textures makes my fingers hurt to touch too much. Rubbing my finger on a sheet of paper, like while writing, is borderline painful.

Anyone else? I would really like to hear what everyone says. :-)

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 5:57 am

This gets better with age. I still like the feel of brushes on the palms of my hands. Pumice soap is good too.

KickingBird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2012, 6:26 am

Yes. I (like you) like cotton and hate wool. I do not like angora either. I wnet hunting recently, and Had on wool sock. I di it because of the cold, and just thought is woud just feel mildly scratchy.

I never did that again. I felt like the tops of me feet were rubbed raw and was shocked that they were not even red.

I love soft fabrits but not crazy about synthetics such as fake sily ones.

There is some types of paper that will set my teeth on edge if I touch it. I really really hate tounge depressers or popcicles with wooden sticks. I have chills just thinking about this stuff. LOL My mouth is drawn thinking of the tongue depressors.

LittlePapillon
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jan 2012, 1:37 pm

Oil painting.

Unf.

Also running water.

UNF.

NewShinyCD
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2012, 2:12 pm

Metal objects. Especially if they are chains or anything of the sort.

Not only do I like the touch but I will also chew on metal objects as well. omg so awesome.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 2:42 pm

Pliable rubber bands (not siff or hard ones), preferably thick. I still stim with these, fortunately the NTs at work probably think its just to relieve stress9 (true, inpart, but not whole picture..).
I HATE wool sweaters! Ughh, even sick & freezing with a fever wool sweaters/blankets make me itch beyond any reason at all.
Shoes, we covered in another post. 8)

Sincerely,
Matt

davidalan11235813
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

I love the feel of cold metal, which is one of my favorite things about my laptop. It's a Macbook Pro, and has an aluminum body. The back of it is always cold to the touch, no matter how much I use it, so I always find myself touching it. It's quite nice, but distracting if I actually have to do any work on it :lol: .

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 4:39 pm

I just bought some new cotton shirts (I can only stand cotton, also), and because of the newness they're still a bit like sandpaper on my skin. But I mitigate that by wearing a t-shirt underneath. Wool is unredeemingly awful, though. With a wool sweater I can feel the little fibers creeping through my t-shirt AND regular shirt and poking me. And polyester is like wearing a plastic bag. Ecch.

As far as textures that drive me nuts, one of mine is a wet popsicle stick dragged against my teeth. I used to hate the feeling of fine-grit sandpaper, but that one has lessened over the years.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2012, 4:32 am

I don't think mine is quite as sensitive as yours, but generally I'm the same way. 'Plush' fabrics like velvet are quite nice. Wool is horrible and I've never understood how anyone could wear it. Slimy-type textures used to disgust me enough that I completely avoided them but I got over that (mostly).

I also seem to have a more sensitive sense of touch inside my mouth.. I can feel little bits of food in my teeth and I get the impression most people can't.

I'd rather have a more sensitive sense of touch than not.

One sort of similar thing is I hate the feeling of certain things on my teeth.. biting onto metal is uncomfortable for a while, just the memory of it.. or accidentally scraping my teeth together.. but some foods are quite nice in texture, like ice cream..

Keep on rockin' in the free world

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 8:27 am

Oh god, give me a soft blankie and I'm in heaven. :heart:
I remember Sammy, my first stuffed animal, a bunny/dog/bear creature, had a tag on his behind, likely for washing instructions or some such.
One side was silky, and I know by the time I was two I'd already rubbed the lettering off it.

to his Interest."

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 9:19 am

davidalan11235813 wrote:
I love the feel of cold metal, which is one of my favorite things about my laptop. It's a Macbook Pro, and has an aluminum body. The back of it is always cold to the touch, no matter how much I use it, so I always find myself touching it. It's quite nice, but distracting if I actually have to do any work on it :lol: .

^ This :) I love my diNovo Edge keyboard because of the brushed aluminum handrest. It irks me a bit that it doesn't have a numerical block, but the aluminum feel under my palms totally makes up for that.

I also like soft textures, especially the fur of my cats.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 9:26 am

Speaking of cats: Paw pads :3 I love both the texture and the sound of the word (in both German and English. The German word is "Pfotenballen").
One of my cats pets me back with her paws :D She sits next to me on my U-shaped desk and drags her paw over my head and neck. It's too cute and feels wonderfully comforting.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 9:59 am

I had severe sensetivity to touch as a kid. I probably still do but as an adult I am free to pick out my own clothes and wear whatever the hell I want whenever the hell I want. The only clothes I can tolerate are T-shirts and blue jean Shorts. I wear shorts even in the winter. It's heat I have the most problems with anyway.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 2:38 pm

Not into keyboards much, anymore (my old Atari PCs back in the 80's though, I used to carrress them all the time doing Term papers. LOL). I love my PC mouse, now however. :)

Sincerely,
Matthew