Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2012, 6:05 pm

I tried to use Chat. It says there are 3 ways to use chat, but I only see 2. I don't understand why the non-IRC link, the Java applet one, will not allow me to connect, while on another website it lets me into their chat.
Any ideas? Where is the third way to connect?
thank you

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 8:09 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the third way is to use an IRC chat client. It's kind of like MSN or Yahoo instand messenger, except that there are many different client softwares to choose from, most of them free, but they can be a bear to set up properly if you've never done it before.

Plus, an IRC client will allow you to connect to any IRC chatroom if you know the channel id's and how to find them.

It does say there are three ways to connect on the page, but all I see are 1 and 3, not 2. I think 2 was removed, but the rest of the page wasn't updated to reflect that.

No idea why you're not able to connect through the java applet.

Does the other site use java to connect as well?

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2012, 8:20 pm

MrXxx wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the third way is to use an IRC chat client. It's kind of like MSN or Yahoo instand messenger, except that there are many different client softwares to choose from, most of them free, but they can be a bear to set up properly if you've never done it before.

Plus, an IRC client will allow you to connect to any IRC chatroom if you know the channel id's and how to find them.

It does say there are three ways to connect on the page, but all I see are 1 and 3, not 2. I think 2 was removed, but the rest of the page wasn't updated to reflect that.

No idea why you're not able to connect through the java applet.

Does the other site use java to connect as well?

hi, yes, its the same exact type of chat but I can get in. I am thinking now that maybe it is not Mozilla Firefox compatible so I will try to get in via IE and see what happens.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 10:28 pm

moved from Random Discussion to WrongPlanet.net discussion

caramel0
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2012, 6:43 am

MrXxx wrote:

option 2 was removed at least 2 years ago because it was broken.
option 1 should be fine in any browser. if it doesnt work and you don't want to get your own irc client, then http://webchat.freenode.net will work with #wrongplanet as the channel.