Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

beckym
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Feb 2012, 7:02 pm

I know this sounds weird, but you know what I mean. Although I have Aspergers I feel like I am somewhat "normal". For example, I am not into anime, I am not a dork, I look normal; basically, I have all the problems associated with Aspergers, but nobody would look at me and think that I was strange. Just curious if anyone else out there with Aspergers thinks of themselves as "normal".

I guess I should add that I havent always been this way, its taken a lot for me to start to understand what society expects of me, basically I have conformed to that standard. In other words, people used to think of me as strange & weird.

RedRocker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2012, 7:14 pm

I sort of feel the same. I know that while I probably seem strange to others, I'm normal in my own way, if that makes sense. Reminds me of one of my favourite ever song lines, "we're the same, in all different ways". (From Sum 41's "We're the same", if you're wondering).

CosTransform
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2012, 8:04 pm

It's usually the social interaction that gives AS away.

s0nshin3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Feb 2012, 8:52 pm

I think I am. I think people just tend to learn how to hide things better. Like, I force myself to make more eye contact, etc.

kg4fxg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2012, 9:25 pm

I think I am normal?
I love Classical Music, play Classical Guitar, work as a successful CPA and Manager. I read anything I can get my hands on but mostly Philosophy or books about Classical Music. I don't think there is anything I can't learn.

B

Last edited by kg4fxg on 28 Feb 2012, 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

CosTransform
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2012, 10:28 pm

But pretending all the time takes mental energy even if you know and have the skill to do it really good.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 11:46 pm

I don't like anime that much and am not what one would call a dork........but I'm still a weird one, and I've recently realised its not so much that I choose to remain weird its that I actually don't get it.....I don't pretend not to get it, well unless I really wanna screw with someone. I guess it just made me feel better to assume I could understand it all and simply chose not to conform but now I have to wonder if I did not just start having that attitude because I can't conform anyways.

Anyways I am sure there are plenty of normal aspies, who have more or less conformed.......I can't imagine how they do it though.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 11:54 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 11:58 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'd rather be myself.

I keep getting confused about what myself is........but I wish I could define it so I could say with some certainty I know myself and what I would think and do if there where no other factors interfering. I mean obviously not coming off as normal I've gotten used to it and though I am usually depressed I certainly prefer to be myself. At the same time though if I had no trouble coming off as normal, I am not so sure I would feel the same maybe I would just conform.........I really hope not but its hard to say.

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 1:36 am

Let's see. I been to a baseball game, never reall had a special diet, and I am a rap and rock fan. Total opposites.

I barely have melt downs, only had one last month and seven years before that episode,

And finally, don't want to be conceited, but here's my picture

My picture

MBTI- ISTP

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 3:24 am

This would describe me quite well.

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 4:12 am

I have the same problem. I get told I'm faking it by strangers.

AliTatt
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2012, 6:26 am

Ive never come across as "normal" by any stretch. I've held my obsessions since kindy, and they always set me apart. But, I'm proudly weird and different :p I have unusual interests, and always stood out whether I wanted it or not. So yeah, I've never felt or seemed normal xD

However, I extend a warm welcome to WP from an ontarion in OZ

Your Aspie score: 158 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 56 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Daemonic-Jackal
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:43 am

beckym wrote:
I know this sounds weird, but you know what I mean. Although I have Aspergers I feel like I am somewhat "normal". For example, I am not into anime, I am not a dork, I look normal; basically, I have all the problems associated with Aspergers, but nobody would look at me and think that I was strange. Just curious if anyone else out there with Aspergers thinks of themselves as "normal".

I guess I should add that I havent always been this way, its taken a lot for me to start to understand what society expects of me, basically I have conformed to that standard. In other words, people used to think of me as strange & weird.

I know exactly what you mean as I've near enough got the same problem but I always say "I'm not normal, I'm just me". If I ever tell anyone I have AS they're always shocked and I can see why (Apparently the only give away is that sometimes when excited I can very loud, sometimes up to 11) I'm in the final year of university, have a job, live alone, go out at weekends, see live bands and go to football matches, I live what can basically be seen as a very 'normal' lifestyle and because of that people think I'm happy go lucky and nothing can ever be wrong with my life. Infact because of that I actually get more hostility from Aspies because I don't fit what they consider to the the 'AS Stereotype' so can see where you are coming from in that sense.

The trouble with some people with AS (not you) is that they think the condition entitles them to an unjustified superiority complex and everything has to be turned into an us (AS) vs them (NT) issue. That anything mainstream or popular isn't considered worthy of their time, social networking such as facebook is evil and anything they don't like then they choose to look down upon. Those type of Aspies are morons.

http://www.facebook.com/YentonianCarlos

Alohilani
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2012, 7:56 am

No idea how others really see me. I often hear them call me 'nice', 'friendly', 'smart'... only my roommate noticed that I can get pretty obsessed with things and that I remember the weirdest things so she teases me about it all the time asking me totally random questions :D
On the other hand I really don't have that many close friends who could actually tell if I was 'not normal'. And I don't tell them everything either. I believe they might be surprised if I told them about how I really see things (or don't see...)

I don't see myself as totally 'normal' but as far as I can tell I don't seem to stick out either. I just have my own idea of what life has to be like for me and as long as nobody wants a real, truthful answer to why I don't have/want/need a partner or why I don't like hugs or why I prefer being by myself, why would I tell them?

zaidjit
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2012, 8:07 am

beckym wrote:

Actually I don't know what you mean. Could you explain it more? I am truly asking the question. I am not trying to be mean.

As for myself, in high school I was an untouchable. I was treated with contempt by almost everyone, though the truly nice people left me alone. After high school I thought I just needed to learn some social skills and get over my social phobia. A few years back I was diagnosed with AS and I have now come to realize how clueless I am.

BTW what is wrong with anime? It is an art form. I am not really into it, but I don't think liking it is abnormal.