Page 1 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 6:00 am

I heard a man called Tom Martin talking on the radio just now about the mens rights movement and how he thought domestic violence and rape statistics were just a feminist conspiracy, I thought this was quite a controversial view and so wondered how wide spread his view is.

here are some links to organizations he works with.
http://www.sexismbusters.org/
http://ncfm.org/
http://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice-for ... economics/
http://mensrightsboard.blogspot.com/201 ... artin.html

Have you heard of these ideas before, what do you think of them?

boblol
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2012, 6:46 am

I've read positive books for men (like steve biddulph and the authors he is friends with) before and really liked them. I agree with the main theme of those books that the situation of bad gender relations will not be solved by the angry type of feminists attacking men but by helping both genders get out of society's brainwashing that puts them in conflict with each other. And helping men see themself as more positive.

However, when browsing the internet, all of the "mens rights" blogs and forums I have ever found, have been overwhelmingly woman-hating and pro-rape, angry men who want women powerless again like in the 50s, angry violent dads who cant see their kids etc. I agree with them that the media has gone too far attacking men (such as adverts where wifes punch or make fun of husbands shown as being humorous), and that, that is not helping the world but creating more conflict. (i found a blog called mysandry watch that listed bad ads). However, I haven't found one that IMO didn't go too far toward hate. Hopefully authors like Biddulph will get more in the public eye and make a more positive movement possible.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 6:51 am

boblol wrote:
I've read positive books for men (like steve biddulph and the authors he is friends with) before and really liked them. I agree with the main theme of those books that the situation of bad gender relations will not be solved by the angry type of feminists attacking men but by helping both genders get out of society's brainwashing that puts them in conflict with each other. And helping men see themself as more positive.

However, when browsing the internet, all of the "mens rights" blogs and forums I have ever found, have been overwhelmingly woman-hating and pro-rape, angry men who want women powerless again like in the 50s, angry violent dads who cant see their kids etc. I agree with them that the media has gone too far attacking men (such as adverts where wifes punch or make fun of husbands shown as being humorous), and that, that is not helping the world but creating more conflict. (i found a blog called mysandry watch that listed bad ads). However, I haven't found one that IMO didn't go too far toward hate. Hopefully authors like Biddulph will get more in the public eye and make a more positive movement possible.

Agreed with boblol.

While domestic abuse goes both ways, a lot of male rights activists simply hate women (actually the same way some extremist feminists hate men, and so there is the hypocrisy)

Domestic abuse goes both ways, but let's not be hypocrites.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 6:59 am

I'm not sure if this has anything at all to do with men's rights movements, but the one thing men may feel justified in complaining about is that they are discriminated against when they express their feelings.

Men are still expected to bottle all their emotions up, even by women. To me this is a tragedy. Women are not allowed to act like "men" and men are not allowed to act like "women." The whole gender-typing phenomenon is a construct of society and has no objective basis.

This may be on a tangent but these are my thoughts based on personal experience.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 7:05 am

boblol wrote:
I agree with them that the media has gone too far attacking men (such as adverts where wifes punch or make fun of husbands shown as being humorous), and that, that is not helping the world but creating more conflict.

A good rule of thumb with adverts like this is to ask a very simple question: if the roles were being reversed, and the woman was the butt of the 'joke', would these be considered acceptable? If an advert of a woman humiliating or attacking their husband/boyfriend is seen as fun, it should be the other way round too, especially since many men are in abusive relationships too.)

And yes, a lot of the "men's rights" blogs leave a nasty taste in the mouth.

boblol
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2012, 7:12 am

I think its a "back handed compliment" that women punching men is always seen as funny on TV. For example, on Desperate Housewives, they have a woman punch out a bad man, with funny music when he falls over, and it was meant to look feisty and tough. But really to me its saying "we know women arent strong in real life, thats why we're showing it as a joke with funny music". If it really happened it wouldnt be a joke. So its kind of feisty on the surface but back handed really.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 12:53 pm

These people - and these blogs - are a bit extreme in what they're saying, but their analysis of the current situation seems exactly what I've found.
At least where I live, women have more legal rights than men, and that's before the near-universal theme of government agencies siding with mothers even if fathers are responsible and mothers are irresponsible and mentally unstable. General rule: if you're a man, and you were previously in a marriage, you will be legally required to pay for your children, but you will have to negotiate any opportunity to meet them. If you're a woman, you will usually get the children and the man's money.

Sexism seems to be alright, and even government-endorsed (educational facilities were, at one point, encouraged to offer special courses for women and allowed to refuse men), when it's against men.
It's not even funny anymore. The militant, unshaved lesbian jokes have worn out, and we're still being subjected to their policies. It's just pathetic.

And then there's role patterns. While women are given more rights than men, men are still expected to be responsible and helpful.
If I don't keep a door open for a woman walking behind me, I'm sometimes criticised for that.
Suicide rates among men are, apparently, four times as high as under women, but charity money (and, indirectly, government money) is spent on anti-suicide campaigns for young women specifically.

If anything, ultrafeminism is turning me into what they'd call a misogynist.
I agree with masculism, generally, in what it says.

boblol
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2012, 1:00 pm

I think also men generally are unhappy. Feminists imagine men as enjoying a position of privilige but there not enjoying it. its not fun being the tough gender and feeling like you have to live up to it. feminists should see its horrible for men too, the way things are i mean. May not be horrible for the priviged but the average man it is.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 1:11 pm

HisDivineMajesty, do you have any links or sources regarding the idea that suicide prevention programs are aimed at young women? it is not the case in my city so i wonder what location has programs like that.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 1:11 pm

Yes, I've read up on these views. A couple of years ago, I came across a man's blog concerning this and MY GAWD it was all I could do to keep from going insane reading his drivel.

If men want to fight for their rights, they should be focusing on social acceptance of reversal gender roles so stay at home dads and the like aren't discriminated against anymore. Attacking women and saying Feminism is one giant conspiracy won't get anyone anywhere.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 1:22 pm

Getting people to believe in the reality of Paternity Fraud is hard enough - the very idea that men could be victims of abuse, fraud, and violence inflicted by women is preposterous to them, yet it happens.

And no amount of proof will convince them.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 1:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
Getting people to believe in the reality of Paternity Fraud is hard enough - the very idea that men could be victims of abuse, fraud, and violence inflicted by women is preposterous to them, yet it happens.

This is sad. Men are abused by women all the time. I've seen it with my own eyes, but somehow the abuse is seen as the woman 'taking back the power' and is socially acceptable. Not only that, but the man is ridiculed for being the victim.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 1:43 pm

It is not a controversial topic. Just about anybody who does not have excrement instead of brain can tell the guy is a nutjob.

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

07 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Fnord wrote:

This is sad. Men are abused by women all the time. I've seen it with my own eyes, but somehow the abuse is seen as the woman 'taking back the power' and is socially acceptable. Not only that, but the man is ridiculed for being the victim.

I agree with that there's a social stigma with male victims of abuse & violence. I know I one of them; an ex partner abused me, been sexually assaulted by a woman & also been a victim of female gang violence.

IMHO abuse & violence shouldn't be made into a political gender issue, as it can happen to anyone in all walks of life one matter what your background is.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 1:51 pm

Fnord, people are definitely swayed by evidence and statistics (and may even agree on the facts) about paternity fraud. but when the only supporting information you offer is an anti-female special interest website full of stories, there is some question about the credibility of the sources behind your claims. vitriolic anecdotes are not evidence.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 1:52 pm

Chipshorter wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I agree with that there's a social stigma with male victims of abuse & violence. I know I one of them; an ex partner abused me, been sexually assaulted by a woman & also been a victim of female gang violence.

IMHO abuse & violence shouldn't be made into a political gender issue, as it can happen to anyone in all walks of life one matter what your background is.

I agree completely.