Do you get along with other autistic people?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ab748
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2012, 11:45 pm

I've got Autism and i don't seem to get along with my brother (aspergers syndrome) or anyone at my school with autism. Just curious

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 11:58 pm

The only person I knew personally with autism or Asperger's Syndrome was my ex's brother who had Asperger's Syndrome and his friend. I didn't not get along with him but we didn't really have anything in common either. I consider myself to be socially awkward but I found him to be way more than I was. We were both quiet and we both liked reading though. Also, it wasn't awkward to be sitting in a silent room with him to try and make conversation. I consider myself very high functioning though. It was hard to make conversation with him unles it was about his special interest.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:06 am

Depends on the individual. Based on personal experience, people on the autistic spectrum can be just as nasty as anyone without it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:23 am

It depends on the person. Some of them I don't get along with and some I do and the rest I don't know well so I have no clue if I wouldn't get along with them.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:13 am

Not necessarily. Sometimes, there will be a common ground of mutual understanding, and then with many other people there will be very little common ground at all.

I don't necessarily feel more 'at home' in a gathering of autistics as I do among non-autistics, but it IS nice to not have to explain why I prefer to be quiet and sit to the side not saying much.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:18 am

Not really, if they're below my functioning level, I can get along. However, it's not necessarily at a equal level, because I have social needs that are different then that person. When they are around my functioning level, I find myself annoyed with the selfish behaviours common with people with Autism. I know they don't recognize it a lot of the time, but I work hard myself to be as not selfish as possible, so I get annoyed with people, Autistic or not, who don't seem to give a fig about that.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:59 am

I get along with some and others maybe not so much, same applies with the NTs I have been around. Usually they have to have similar interests and or enjoy my company and visa versa its usually a mutual thing. If the other autstics interests conflict with mine or contradict then not so much or if the other autistics functionality level is far below that of mine to being almost non verbal it is by far more difficult because it is rather difficult to know what that person is thinking or how he or she can communicate. Usually my ideal criteria of functionality maybe slightly below mine equal or higher than mine. I guess the same goes for NTs as well lol. :D

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

tinwoman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Mar 2012, 4:28 pm

I get along with Aspies much better than with NTs. Even if they have different interests than me, I like listening to them, when they talk about their passions, scientific topics. They are more straightforward, without any cunningness, so I can trust them they won't deceive me, as many NTs do. And I can more easily follow the stream of Aspies' thoughts during a conversation than those of the NTs. They talk more slowly and clearly.
Interestingly, after a meeting with a group of Aspies and very-likely-Aspies, one of them told me that I was the most "neurotypical" person in the group. I'm convinced I'm not an NT, but I am quite outgoing, and I could get along excellent with NTs...if I only had mirror neurons.
BTW, can you understand me well on the linguistical level? I'm asking because I am not a native speaker of English.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 4:34 pm

I feel that I'm more able to get along with them if I could have a conversation with them. I also feel that I can get along with another Aspie if we both had the same beliefs and values. That doesn't mean that we both have to be interested in the same things. It means that it's easier to get along with somebody who shares the same views of autism that I do.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 4:41 pm

I wouldn't say i have ever been best buddies, but I haven't fallen out with them either. They are few and far between in real life, so there are not that many opportunities to find out.

I do naturally gravitate or attract non-NTs though, I don't demand a lot from people and I'm quite tolerant of any weirdness.

Jason

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 7:31 pm

I've met a few people around my level and I'd say I get on with them well. Not sure how'd I'd be with more profound autistic people though, I've never met any to talk to as such but I imagine it would be difficult to converse and we would be too distant and might not "gel" together, unless they shared the same interest as me. I don't know though, maybe I'd still do alright with them.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 7:35 pm

Those I've known, yes.

A few family and a couple through here.

I'll add to this though, I pretty much get along with everyone when it's just me and them interpersonally.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

14 Mar 2012, 8:54 pm

All Aspies/Auties I've met so far I've gotten along with. I guess I can just relate to them.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 8:58 pm

I only know one person with it (AS) and I get along with him as well as I do any of the other kids. He's a friend of my kids and I still call him a kid because I've known him since he was about 14 or so, and he's still a kid even though he's about 25, married for a few years, and trying for a baby lol.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 12:19 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
I only know one person with it (AS) and I get along with him as well as I do any of the other kids. He's a friend of my kids and I still call him a kid because I've known him since he was about 14 or so, and he's still a kid even though he's about 25, married for a few years, and trying for a baby lol.

Was that the one who asked you when you were diagnosed and you weren't at the time?

Taybot97
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Mar 2012, 12:25 am

I've never really been around those with serious autism. I've had one conversation that I can barely remember. As for HFA/AS this girl I know is 2 months younger and we get along very well, she has been a friend for nearly all 15 years ive been alive.