Do you have conversations with your pets?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rachel_519
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2012, 10:08 pm

(Just for fun)
My family does this thing, and I have always wondered if other people do this, too, but I haven't spent enough time around other families to observe.

I know a lot of people talk to their pets, but we actually make up animalistic voices and act like the animals are talking to us. For example:
Scenario 1- Dog comes and sits next to the dinner table while we are eating and stares at my mother expectantly.
Mom: No, Brownie, the vet said you can't have any human food.
Dad [using drawling 'dog' voice]: Oh, but Mama, I- I really like chicken. It looks so gooood!

Scenario 2- Family is in the car pulling into the driveway. Garage door goes up; cat comes prancing to get into the garage
Dad [using high-pitched 'cat' voice]: Oh, thank you for coming to let me into the garage! I'm gonna go sleep on top of the lawnmower.
:lol:
It is mostly my dad who does this, although the rest of us to this to some extent. Do other people do this or are we just crazy?

In case you are curious, no one else in my family is an aspie as far as I know (I'm not even totally sure that I'm an aspie), but I am pretty sure that we all have the Broader Autistic Phenotype.

Last edited by rachel_519 on 15 Mar 2012, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 10:11 pm

My mum and I have conversations with Chico. :O)

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 10:19 pm

Not conversations like you have. Since I have a parrot. So technically my one does lol

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 10:36 pm

I talk to all my animals pretty constantly but I don't answer myself.

My vet, on the other hand, does what you're describing all the time. I have to be honest, it never helped him with any of my animals but that's because they're all feral.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 11:18 pm

My mom and I give our pets voices. xD The "voice" we've given our Border Collie sounds like an intellectual or college professor because he's always got an analytical expression on his face, and is sucha smarty pants. :heart:

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 11:53 pm

My dad's dog is odd. If you say doggy park or the name of his sister (from when he was a baby), he'll look at you and his eyes will go big, he'll tilt his head 45 degree's and look at you like, what? The rest of the time he's focused on other things.

I tend to talk to my cat, he usually doesn't understand. I point to something and he stares at my finger. Then again that seems quite common for cats.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 1:03 am

Oh, totally. My parents have "conversations" with their dogs all the time, and give them voices.

And this just happened:
My cat: "Meoowwr."
Me: "I KNOW, right?!"

to his Interest."

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 2:23 am

Yeah. They seem to understand me better than the humans do.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 3:01 am

Yeah, gf'll ask her dog what she's doing.

I'll answer for the dog "just bein' a dick, mommy!"

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 3:37 am

My cat Angel has a conversation with me i think, when i say hi its like she actually talks xD in a cat way though, not like meowth from pokemon ><

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 3:43 am

My old buddy (cattle dog), used to talk to me and me him when he was alive. He understood quite a few words. I understood quite a lot of his body language.

He'd say "hello" to me when greeting me (he "copied" it from me, but he knew want it meant; the first time seeing for that day or when coming home).

Applecore
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Mar 2012, 3:45 am

Me and my husband does this. I ask the dog something and get an answer for my husband in "the dogs voice", and vica versa. Since the dogs breed is from germany he has a weird accent :P

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 7:08 am

I talk a lot to my cats, and one of them talks back. She's not just meowing and chattering like my other cat, she actually talks a few words. A typical conversation goes like this:

Cat: Rrral! (Ralf, my name)
Me: Yes? What can I do for you?
Cat: Grammem! (that means "Krabben", German for prawns. It's her favorite treat)
Me: No, I won't give you any more prawns. You had enough already, and they're too salty for you.
Cat: Grram-mm. Grammem!
Me: No, sorry. Eat your cat food if you're hungry.
Cat jumps onto my desk and paws my face
Me: Awww, you're so cute!
Cat: Grrammem.
Me sighs, gets up, moseys into the kitchen to defrost prawns in the microwave

She also comprehendibly speaks the words hullo (she says it like "unno"), lecker (German for yummy or treat; it means that she wants anything other than prawns), and nein (which means she wants different food). I realize that this makes me sound like a lunatic, but there are many cats that imitate human speech. Two examples found on youTube:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrhxutZgTrc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKXWLaK_6ZE[/youtube]
PS: I have an audio recording of my cat saying "lecker". I'll try to upload it somewhere.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 7:38 am

I turned the audio file into a youTube video. This is my cat telling me that she wants a treat:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWWbuxdNMu4[/youtube]

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 8:26 am

I imagine a conversation with a pet would be far better than a conversation with most people.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 10:00 am

Yes, I have quite nice conversations with my bearded dragon. My voice seems to soothe him, and I get to talk to someone. :)