What do you think of children and violence in movies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 8:50 pm

There has been a bunch of articles about the hunger games movie and how it is too violent. And there is also the movie Bully coming out, and next year Ender's game. (I don't know much about the movie bully) The book Ender's game is about 6-8 year olds mainly, and the movie version will have a 12 year old, and 14-16 year olds mainly (well by the time the movie is out they will all be a year older.) I really like the book Ender's game so I was wondering about it. In the book there is some brutal fights, and since it will be about even younger kids than the hunger games I was surprised it would be made into a movie. It also shows more of the psychological toll of warfare than the hunger games.

edit: I thought of the movie Kick ass that I like a lot. The girl in that movie kills a lot in that movie and cusses a lot. I don't remember hearing any controversy over her killing other people in it but people freaked out because she said c***s.

Last edited by Alexender on 25 Mar 2012, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 9:54 pm

I don't approve of kids being used in violent scenes in movies, but movie land won't take any marching orders from me. :(

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2012, 9:55 pm

Hunger games and Enders game are apples and potatoes. Close on the outside but way different tastes.

Hunger games are kids fighting to the death for others to enjoy and Enders game is kids being trained to end a war. Each has violenice but one shows kids fighting and killing as something "cool" and the other shows the pain and mental scares of war (and their war games are fake!) my generation is marked as the "me me me" generation. The generation now is "weapons are cool, if I have a problem the gun is the answer" generation.

As for the bully movie,,,,the kids that see it will either say "I have has that happen that's how I feel" or "now I have new ways to be a bully"

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 11:36 pm

It can be good or bad depends how they choose to go with it.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 2:48 pm

I think I like realism in at least some of the movies I watch. Kids being harmed can make me uncomfortable, but I think in the real world that is the most likely thing to happen and it can be powerful when portrayed well on film.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 3:03 pm

Are we being purposefully desensitized?
If so why?

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 3:56 pm

No I personally do not approve of kids and violence in films. :shameonyou: :cry:

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 11:45 pm

mesona wrote:
Hunger games and Enders game are apples and potatoes. Close on the outside but way different tastes.

Hunger games are kids fighting to the death for others to enjoy and Enders game is kids being trained to end a war. Each has violenice but one shows kids fighting and killing as something "cool" and the other shows the pain and mental scares of war (and their war games are fake!) my generation is marked as the "me me me" generation. The generation now is "weapons are cool, if I have a problem the gun is the answer" generation.

As for the bully movie,,,,the kids that see it will either say "I have has that happen that's how I feel" or "now I have new ways to be a bully"

I wasn't thinking of the war games when I was saying violence, they aren't that big of a deal. But I can think of 3+ times that there would be violence in Ender's game (trying not to be specific in case of spoilers). Reason I can't say an exact number is no idea what they will include as important in the movie, but at least 3 of them.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 12:04 am

Well I saw the redo of True Grit about a 14 year seeking revenge against the man that killed her father.

It was a little weird seeing someone so small wielding such a big revolver and determined to kill someone. It didn't seem "wrong" though. It treated the violence plainly as part of the times and the story.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 2:10 am

It's just movies.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 7:49 pm

The movie lord of the flies shows what happens when a group of boys get stranded on a island they turn savage and kill each other love that movie.

Ookla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2012, 8:37 pm

Long ago, when I saw Halloween 4 in the theater, the ending really surprised me. Michael Myers's traumatized niece picks up a pair of scissors and stabs her foster mother in the bathroom. It didn't really make sense, but I thought it was a good creepy ending. It's still one of my favorite bad-but-fun movies.

Since then, of course, we've seen so many murderous children onscreen that the idea seems tame to me. (The Ring, The Grudge, etc.) Guess I'm among the desensitized.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 9:22 pm

It doesn't bother me, as long as all the actors are trained well so that nobody actually gets hurt. I'm sure there is always a slight chance of accidentally getting hurt while filming a violent scene but it's surely small. I'd imagine that it's probably pretty fun for the kids to get to pretend to do things they aren't allowed to really do.

As for seeing a movie where a kid is hurt, if I'm really into the movie then it bothers me. Otherwise I see it as actors and acting.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 9:32 pm

There are more accidents during boring scenes than violent ones... This is coming from a film maker.

When we do stunt scenes, EXTREME caution is taken, and rarely are the children actually in the shooting of said scenes... Stunt people and trick camera work are more common