About thinking and worrying all the time

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

vortex
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2012, 2:43 am

It's like my mind has no off mode. I ponder things all the time and I worry about stuff most of the time. I even think and worry in my sleep sometimes. If I'm worried about work for example (which happens quite often since I really hate that place) I even dream about it while asleep. I always find something to worry about.

Thinking isn't necessarily a bad thing. I love thinking. But I really don't know what it feels like when your mind is quiet. Do you?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 3:09 am

First make sure you are getting enough rest. Then make sure you are eating enough--of mostly healthy stuff. Trying to starve yourself thin is not healthy, and because it is not nutritionally complete and not satisfying, it leads to binge eating. The skeleton look is hideous, not cute. Just eat plenty of mostly healthy stuff.

Next, you need to find ways to occupy and distract yourself.

- Exercise. It generates mood boosting endorphins.
- Read funny stories and watch funny shows. Humor also generates mood boosting endorphins.
- Volunteer. There are people out there worse off than we are.
- Take up a hobby.
- Join a club.
- Take courses, either in person or online. Some of the online ones are free.
- Surf the web.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 4:32 am

Ditto.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 4:32 am

Yes, my mind is on the go all the time. It was much worse before my daughter was born and I worked, in a job I hated. I worried about it an awful lot. I sometimes did a full day's work in my sleep (if and when I got to sleep), woke up and found I had to do it for real. Would you say you are stressed? I have stresses these days, with my daughter, but they are completely different to the stresses I had at work. Although I have concerns about her, I don't tend to lose sleep. My social anxiety/ phone phobia, etc were a big problem at work. I don't have those now. What is it exactly about your job that you don't like?

vortex
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2012, 12:21 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
Yes, my mind is on the go all the time. It was much worse before my daughter was born and I worked, in a job I hated. I worried about it an awful lot. I sometimes did a full day's work in my sleep (if and when I got to sleep), woke up and found I had to do it for real. Would you say you are stressed? I have stresses these days, with my daughter, but they are completely different to the stresses I had at work. Although I have concerns about her, I don't tend to lose sleep. My social anxiety/ phone phobia, etc were a big problem at work. I don't have those now. What is it exactly about your job that you don't like?

I don't know if I'd say I'm stressed. Well, maybe I am. Worrying makes me stressed. What I hate about the job is that I have to do things I'm not good at. I have to multitask, I have to talk to customers etc. Also, I'm very sensitive to sounds and it gets too much at work. Noise everywhere. I get headaches and get annoyed all the time.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 12:31 pm

vortex wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

I don't know if I'd say I'm stressed. Well, maybe I am. Worrying makes me stressed. What I hate about the job is that I have to do things I'm not good at. I have to multitask, I have to talk to customers etc. Also, I'm very sensitive to sounds and it gets too much at work. Noise everywhere. I get headaches and get annoyed all the time.
That's eactly the way it was for me. I supervised a small team (just 1 or 2 in the latter years), but I also had a multitude of little tasks, answering the phone, talking to managers, passing jobs to workers in other offices, etc. I was put in thhis post after an admin review (I didn't supervise before) and my boss said I had to like it or lump it. The only thing I enjoyed was when I had a big project, e.g. organising conferences, designing databases/ analytical spreadsheets - things that I could basically get on with, without interference from other people. But, those things weren't all the time and I always had the other stuff to get on with too. As for the noise sensitivity, is this affecting your concentration? Would it be possible to ask to be moved to a quieter spot or is there one?

vortex
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2012, 12:44 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
vortex wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

That's eactly the way it was for me. I supervised a small team (just 1 or 2 in the latter years), but I also had a multitude of little tasks, answering the phone, talking to managers, passing jobs to workers in other offices, etc. I was put in thhis post after an admin review (I didn't supervise before) and my boss said I had to like it or lump it. The only thing I enjoyed was when I had a big project, e.g. organising conferences, designing databases/ analytical spreadsheets - things that I could basically get on with, without interference from other people. But, those things weren't all the time and I always had the other stuff to get on with too. As for the noise sensitivity, is this affecting your concentration? Would it be possible to ask to be moved to a quieter spot or is there one?

The only thing I enjoy at work is when I get to sort things. You know, sort things into different piles etc. But that hardly ever happens. As for the noise sensitivity, it definitely affects my concentration. I often just want to shout "SHUT UP" and run out of there. But I can't, obviously. There isn't really a more quiet spot I'm afraid. Even if there was they'd never let me move there. They'd never accept me being sensitive to sound. They'd probably just tell me "suck it up" and tell me to get back to work.

EDIT: They're not mean. They just wouldn't understand.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 2:10 pm

It's the same for me. I'm pondering stuff every second I'm awake.

ByattBrown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2012, 2:28 pm

I have exactly the same, which can be really great at times but sometimes it feels too much, as if everything is spinning around my head. Too many thoughts to process, I find I can help control it by listening to music; I can focus when I have music on.

The other method I use it meditation, but this can be really difficult at times, find whatever works for you.

I hope this helps. :D

vortex
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2012, 2:36 pm

ByattBrown wrote:
I have exactly the same, which can be really great at times but sometimes it feels too much, as if everything is spinning around my head. Too many thoughts to process, I find I can help control it by listening to music; I can focus when I have music on.

The other method I use it meditation, but this can be really difficult at times, find whatever works for you.

I hope this helps. :D

Glad meditation works for you. I've never tried it. Maybe I should.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel quite desperate. Now for example, my flatmate is cooking. She's making loads of unpleasant noises (metal against metal, suddenly dropping things on the floor etc) while my neighbour is playing music very loudly. Also, I feel anxious because I know I have to get up really early and go to work tomorrow where it will be noisy and I'll most certainly get angry etc. How do I even handle that? I don't mean to sound all pessimistic but even now I feel like I could freak out at any moment.

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

rebbieh wrote:
It's the same for me. I'm pondering stuff every second I'm awake.

So do I. And I have strange dreams too.

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2012, 4:24 pm

To stop worrying, you have to do something about the things that are worrying you.

That's why worrying exists, as an aid to preventing future problems.

You're not supposed to ignore your worries. You are supposed to act on them.

The fact that you are always worrying and thinking could be put to your advantage. You are seeing more potential problems than the average person does, you are more aware of what could go wrong in your life, and if you applied your energy and focus correctly, you could eliminate a lot of these potential problems before they ever have the chance to do any harm, while other people in their state of unawareness are not so lucky.

You would feel better in general, having not only reduced your worries by eliminating the things that cause them, you will also gain the satisfaction of having applied your mind's troublesome extra energy in a constructive way, and you might even use up enough to let you fall asleep now and then.

It is better to gain comfort by getting rid of things that cause discomfort, rather than by just trying to ignore them and hoping they go away.

vortex
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2012, 10:55 pm

Invader wrote:
To stop worrying, you have to do something about the things that are worrying you.

The fact that you are always worrying and thinking could be put to your advantage. You are seeing more potential problems than the average person does, you are more aware of what could go wrong in your life, and if you applied your energy and focus correctly, you could eliminate a lot of these potential problems before they ever have the chance to do any harm, while other people in their state of unawareness are not so lucky.

You would feel better in general, having not only reduced your worries by eliminating the things that cause them, you will also gain the satisfaction of having applied your mind's troublesome extra energy in a constructive way, and you might even use up enough to let you fall asleep now and then.

It is better to gain comfort by getting rid of things that cause discomfort, rather than by just trying to ignore them and hoping they go away.

But the things that worry and unsettles me the most are my job and the whole big question about whether I have AS or not. I don't know what to do about the second thing. When it comes to my job I can't just quit. Because if I did I'd get no money which means I'd worry about that instead. Do you know what I mean?

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2012, 11:09 pm

vortex wrote:
Invader wrote:

But the things that worry and unsettles me the most are my job and the whole big question about whether I have AS or not. I don't know what to do about the second thing. When it comes to my job I can't just quit. Because if I did I'd get no money which means I'd worry about that instead. Do you know what I mean?

So pin down what exactly is worrying you about your job and take the appropriate action to counter it.

Also, getting a diagnosis would immediately answer the question of AS.

vortex
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2012, 11:19 pm

Invader wrote:
vortex wrote:
Invader wrote:

So pin down what exactly is worrying you about your job and take the appropriate action to counter it.

Also, getting a diagnosis would immediately answer the question of AS.

Wish I knew that the "appropriate action to counter it" is.

Yeah, getting a diagnosis would probably be good for me. Because if it's not AS then it must be something else. Something similar. Anyway, I can't really begin that process until the beginning of July. Long time left :(