Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 9:20 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... -screening

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 9:23 am

study also found that autism disorders were almost five times more common in boys. And that an increasingly large proportion of children with autism have IQs of 85 or higher — a finding that contradicts a past assumption that most autistic kids had IQs of 70 or lower.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 9:43 am

OOOOHHH, NOOO! It's a "a public health emergency that demands immediate attention"! !! !!

hahaha...My mom thinks it's an evolutionary thing. It makes sense; the vast majority of great scientists that we know about are now believed to have had Autism.

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

diniesaur wrote:
OOOOHHH, NOOO! It's a "a public health emergency that demands immediate attention"! !! !!

hahaha...My mom thinks it's an evolutionary thing. It makes sense; the vast majority of great scientists that we know about are now believed to have had Autism.

power to the peeps :D

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Mar 2012, 11:58 am

At this rate, we could hit 1:1 autism rate within our lifetimes.

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Mar 2012, 12:06 pm

Imagine a world where auties / aspies were no longer a minority.

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 12:32 pm

even 1 in 88 is kind of a lot nice to know there's lots and lots of us.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm

I wonder what the rate be after the new DSM comes out?

Lot of people think it's due to misdiagnoses and others think it's due to the environment.

Last edited by League_Girl on 31 Mar 2012, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Mar 2012, 1:00 pm

And I think it's primarily due to diagnostic protocols.

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 1:15 pm

[quote="diniesaur"]OOOOHHH, NOOO! It's a "a public health emergency that demands immediate attention"! !! !!

hahaha...My mom thinks it's an evolutionary thing. It makes sense; the vast majority of great scientists that we know about are now believed to have had Autism.[/quo

-_-

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2012, 7:24 pm

Well, that's interesting.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 3:12 am

I'd love to say I find it surprising, but I really don't. The fact is until recently a lot of folks just weren't diagnosed.

And a lot of folks remain undiagnosed because they're too used to the thought of "wanting to be normal".

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 3:39 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
I'd love to say I find it surprising, but I really don't. The fact is until recently a lot of folks just weren't diagnosed.

And a lot of folks remain undiagnosed because they're too used to the thought of "wanting to be normal".

Or they could be like many of us (like myself, and I've seen others say similar on this forum) and simply think they already are normal until faced with evidence otherwise.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 3:57 am

Yo, I thought I was normal and that I could socialize just fine, it's just that I didn't want to....

Anyway, this is what happens when you try to create a super scientist and let "it" loose on the population, when instead of being interested in nerve agents like "they" wanted (the Nazi Commies), "it" was interested in...cataloging different species of ants. The super soldiers all died.... (:P) Damn you Han! Damn you for releasing our ancestor into the wild! You didn't know what you were doing....

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 4:57 am

diniesaur wrote:

Perhaps. Maybe the rate here in Asia would even be a little higher. I mean, autistic traits are sort of embedded in the culture. I don't think I know over a dozen people who are absolutely, and totally NT.

But right now I lean towards the theory of multi factors. Evolution, androgens, environment, etcetera, etcetera.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 5:16 am

Don't worry this epidemic, as governments call it, won't drain the public coffers too much longer. There's a cure on the way, early detection in the fetus and a good old fashioned abortion.