Moderate, more than one co-morbid with unique difficutlies. 32%  32%  [ 31 ]
Severe, no co-morbids with unique difficulties. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Severe, more than one co-morbid with unique difficulties. 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 96

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 10:16 am

I've seen some interesting threads and comments over the last week or two, that I thought would be fun to experiment and elaborate upon. All of these threads or comments remarked on differences in severity across those diagnosed with AS.

This will be the first of two polls on the subject, each looking for different correlations. This first poll is related to co-morbid conditions and how they effect one's ability to function.

For the sake of this poll, I'll be using the non-clinical terms of Mild, Moderate and Severe to describe severity of one's symptoms. These terms will mean the following:

Mild: you could or do live on your own with little or no assistance.
Moderate: you could or do live on your own, but with daily or weekly assistance.
Severe: you could not live on your own.

You'll notice that the poll options indicate 'no co-morbid' or 'more than one co-morbid.' I am allowing one co-morbid to be rolled into the 'no co-morbid' option, so long as the symptoms partially overlap with AS, or are less severe than AS symptoms. If you have only one co-morbid, but it is quite severe or does not overlap with AS at all, please select 'more than one co-morbid' for the purposes of this poll.

If you're willing, please post which option you selected, and which co-morbid conditions you have.

Thanks for participating! Results should be interesting.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Last edited by fragileclover on 09 Apr 2012, 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 10:57 am

Didn't you leave off a severe option onboth your poles? I would be moderate or mild. In social situations mild, taking care of myslef probably moderate, not effect at it on my own right now

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 11:02 am

Although I wasn't diagnosed with AS, I believe I have a mild form of it, so I picked the first option. I also have mild symptoms of ADHD (inattentive as an adult).

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 11:39 am

Where are the options for mild, moderate, and severe symptoms with one co-morbid?

Quote:
You'll notice that the poll options indicate 'no co-morbid' or 'more than one co-morbid.' I am allowing one co-morbid to be rolled into the 'no co-morbid' option, so long as the symptoms partially overlap with AS, or are less severe than AS symptoms.

I have one co-morbid, but it's quite severe, and the symptoms don't overlap...

to his Interest."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 11:50 am

I am mild, maybe to moderate but I don't believe it but it gets so bad at times I do need help. I am lucky to have a supportive husband. I have anxiety and learning difficulties too and I would say my learning difficulties aren't mild since I needed lot of help with my school work, my anxiety, mild to moderate I would say. I always need help when I have anxiety but I also get through it too on my own. But it's the anxiety that makes my AS worse.

VeggieGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2012, 12:17 pm

Crap. This is the second poll I've taken where I didn't read the first post with the directions and messed it up. Going with the non-clinical definitions, I would actually be moderate, not mild as I thought. I do require weekly support through therapy as well as support from my friends and family.

KittyCommand0r
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2012, 12:28 pm

Define Assistance. Seeing therapists and counselling? A partner having to making sure you do what you are supposed to?

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 12:38 pm

I seem to fall between moderate and severe I think. I do have co-morbid diagnoses.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 12:54 pm

fragileclover wrote:
*UPDATE* It was brought to my attention that there is no option for: Severe, more than one co-morbid with unique difficulties. I apologize. I did type this option, but didn't realize I had to click 'Add option' to make it appear in the poll. If this option applies to you, please reply indicating so, and I'll calculate the percentage of those with this response.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You can still add it.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 12:58 pm

I will ask a mod to do it at least

edit: read your definition of mild again and that is what I would be. I am diagnosed with add but I don't think that it is completely different so I picked mild with no co-morbids. Have had depression in the past before though, and was misdiagnosed with bipolar

Last edited by Alexender on 09 Apr 2012, 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 12:59 pm

I have OCD and anxiety-NOS. OCD doesn't seem to overlap with AS much. My AS is mild, as with my OCD, but my anxiety is severe.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 1:07 pm

i added the missing option to both your polls.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 1:17 pm

I was torn between selecting mild or moderate. The doc who diagnosed me classed me as moderate to severe, but I live with students right now, and have lived alone in the past. I don't always function very well, often I either don't eat, or don't clean, or wear the same clothes every day, but I'm a university student and manage to handle that with accommodations from disability services.

I ended up selecting moderate, more than one co-morbid. I only have one co-morbid, bipolar disorder, but its challenges are quite different from the challenges posed by Asperger's. The bipolar symptoms are moderate to severe as well, as I've had several long stints in the mental hospital, more than 6 months in total.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 2:44 pm

KittyCommand0r wrote:
Define Assistance. Seeing therapists and counselling? A partner having to making sure you do what you are supposed to?

I would define assistance for this poll as any mental or physical support you require on a day-to-day or weekly basis in order to get by. Counseling would count as assistance if you'd be 'lost' without it.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 2:45 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i added the missing option to both your polls.

Thank you!

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 2:48 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Where are the options for mild, moderate, and severe symptoms with one co-morbid?

Quote:
You'll notice that the poll options indicate 'no co-morbid' or 'more than one co-morbid.' I am allowing one co-morbid to be rolled into the 'no co-morbid' option, so long as the symptoms partially overlap with AS, or are less severe than AS symptoms.

I have one co-morbid, but it's quite severe, and the symptoms don't overlap...

I amended my explanation above. If your co-morbid is severe and doesn't overlap with AS, for the purpose of this poll, you should select the 'more than one co-morbid' option. Sorry for the confusion.