Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

20 Apr 2012, 3:01 pm

Xenoblade is awesome. There is so much to do. You get to know the characters. The battles are real fun. The music is worth listening to outside of playing the game. I feel none of that when I play Skyrim. I don't know exactly why I don't care for it, but I was ready to quit after Whiterun.

alex_br
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2012, 5:26 pm

Woa,

That's impressive news. I've been rooting for a japanese RPG comeback for a long time.

Sadly, I don't own a wii (it's an exclusive, is it not?).

Good gaming!

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 6:36 pm

it looks interesting but I can't get over the anime inspired graphics/design. I'm so tired of "HUGE EPIC SWORDZ" look and all of that sort of stuff. The combat also doesn't look to fun, kind of slow for an action oriented RPG.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 6:39 pm

You wanted to quit after whiterun? After you help the greybeards out is when it gets addicting, until then it is a little slow

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 8:33 pm

Is Xenoblade out in the US yet? I can't wait to play it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than Skyrim(which I like, but it's far from the best game ever).

Pondering wrote:
it looks interesting but I can't get over the anime inspired graphics/design. I'm so tired of "HUGE EPIC SWORDZ" look and all of that sort of stuff.

Well, in my opinion, fantasy art design doesn't get much more boring and uninspired than Skyrim.

rpgaymer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2012, 8:46 pm

I'm playing Xenoblade right now. I was really into it for the first 80 hours or so, but it gets very tedious after a while. The quest system is the worst I've seen in a game in a while. There are no quest markers, and so many quests require you to farm items from enemies that are half your level or require you to run around collecting random blue orbs hoping it's the right item that you need.

Otherwise, good game. I don't think the game has typical jrpg art design- it looks like ff12. Plays like it too. It also has really good writing for a jrpg, and the voice acting is just as good as ff12.

I don't think it's anything like Skyrim though. Reminds me of a less gritty Dragon Age, but with better combat.

Inyanook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2012, 9:00 pm

Well, I'm glad to hear it, because it's the only one I can play! :mrgreen:

Don't think I'd be into Skyrim, anyway. It sounds overwhelming to me.

It was tense.

rpgaymer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2012, 9:12 pm

Xenoblade can be just as overwhelming. You'll be doing so much bactracking. It's worth playing though, as it's the most modern jrpg released this gen, along with the atelier games on the ps3.

Plus, a year from now you can sell it on eBay for $200.

Inyanook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2012, 9:27 pm

rpgaymer wrote:
Xenoblade can be just as overwhelming. You'll be doing so much bactracking. It's worth playing though, as it's the most modern jrpg released this gen, along with the atelier games on the ps3.

But it does have more focus on the main storyline, doesn't it? And not as much character customization?

I mean, I love sidequests, wandering about and tweaking my characters, but too much of it (such as that found in Skyrim, from what I've heard) just makes me go AAAH TOO MANY THINGS TO DO. The stat progression in a lot of WRPGs does this to me as well.

I'm the kind of person who will explore an area to death, and can't go to the next level of progression in a dungeon (or equivalent) until I'm absolutely sure I haven't missed anything (or, well, I can, but I don't like doing it). I love a place with secrets and stuff I can't yet access, but can keep in mind for later — metroidvanias are fun that way. If the area is too big and convoluted and there are too many options, though, I just get frustrated.

Is Xenoblade the kind of game that will rub me up the wrong way, do you think? :?

It was tense.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

20 Apr 2012, 9:38 pm

Delphiki wrote:
You wanted to quit after whiterun? After you help the greybeards out is when it gets addicting, until then it is a little slow
I've played parts of my brothers' file as well (Lv. 63). Fighting some of the bigger trolls and a dragon didn't feel exciting to me. The game feels like Oblivion, which feels like Morrowind.

rpgaymer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2012, 9:41 pm

No, it sounds like you'll like it. There are tons of areas in the game, and each one is huge, but not at all daunting, and each place has various secrets to discover. Think of that gran pulse meadow area in ff13, but xenoblade has like 20 areas of that size.

But if you don't like to miss any quests or secret areas, than be prepared for a huge time investment. I'm the same way, and I just hit 100 hours on my save file... but I'm barely halfway through the game.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 9:44 pm

UnLoser wrote:
Is Xenoblade out in the US yet? I can't wait to play it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than Skyrim(which I like, but it's far from the best game ever).

Pondering wrote:
it looks interesting but I can't get over the anime inspired graphics/design. I'm so tired of "HUGE EPIC SWORDZ" look and all of that sort of stuff.

Well, in my opinion, fantasy art design doesn't get much more boring and uninspired than Skyrim.
It came out April 6th. You can only get it at GameStop (if they have any copies left) or order it online from Nintendo's website. Or buy it off eBay. Those are your only options if you want the U.S. version of the game. And the box art is flippable (there's something to look at on both sides).

rpgaymer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2012, 9:47 pm

The flipped box art is so cool... Best looking game in my collection.

Inyanook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2012, 9:53 pm

rpgaymer wrote:
No, it sounds like you'll like it. There are tons of areas in the game, and each one is huge, but not at all daunting, and each place has various secrets to discover. Think of that gran pulse meadow area in ff13, but xenoblade has like 20 areas of that size.

But if you don't like to miss any quests or secret areas, than be prepared for a huge time investment. I'm the same way, and I just hit 100 hours on my save file... but I'm barely halfway through the game.

100 hours? Only halfway? Huge areas and lots of secrets?

Whoop! :mrgreen:

Brilliant, now I have to finish all my current games as soon as I possibly can. That just sounds too good.

It was tense.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 9:53 pm

Inyanook wrote:
rpgaymer wrote:

But it does have more focus on the main storyline, doesn't it? And not as much character customization?

I mean, I love sidequests, wandering about and tweaking my characters, but too much of it (such as that found in Skyrim, from what I've heard) just makes me go AAAH TOO MANY THINGS TO DO. The stat progression in a lot of WRPGs does this to me as well.

I'm the kind of person who will explore an area to death, and can't go to the next level of progression in a dungeon (or equivalent) until I'm absolutely sure I haven't missed anything (or, well, I can, but I don't like doing it). I love a place with secrets and stuff I can't yet access, but can keep in mind for later — metroidvanias are fun that way. If the area is too big and convoluted and there are too many options, though, I just get frustrated.

Is Xenoblade the kind of game that will rub me up the wrong way, do you think? :?
Yeah, Xenoblade is one of those games with so many sidequests you'll be thinking, "there's too much to do!".

alex_br
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2012, 10:04 pm

Crap... too bad I don't have a wii available.

Reading this thread made me want the game :(