Is anyone here from the Greenville, South Carolina area??

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Geowhizkid26
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2006, 4:46 am

Hello there

My name is Preston and you probably remember me from my posts about 2 years ago. I didn't end up going to Louisiana for university, went to a university in California
last year (the one I graduated from, CSU Stanislaus in Turlock, California) but could not get a high enough GPA to get into the master degree program in History there,
and came back home to my parents' home this August. I live in San Jose, California.

Anyway, I'm thinking about eventually moving (and possibly within the next year to Greenville, South Carolina. If any of you don't know where that is, that is in the Upstate area of South Carolina. Right next to Spartanburg too, where they make
the BMW Z4s. I really love the area a great deal, and I've been wanting to move there for the past 5-6 years. I have had other places that I have thought about living, but Greenville just comes back into my head every month virtually. The other places I've thought about moving to I have thought about doing periodically, but nothing is
as constant or has been as constant as Greenville. I mean, I've thought about
Charlotte, North Carolina, or Charleston, South Carolina, or Peachtree City, Georgia (which is 30 miles south of Atlanta). But nothing seems to beat the deal in
Greenville. The houses sell for $130,000 and there is little crime. And also another thing that attracts me is that it is little. I mean, Greenville only has 56,000 residents.
Of course, in the metropolitan area which includes Greer, Greenville, Spartanburg,
Gaffney, Simpsonville, Laurens, etc. there are about a million people. But the towns around Greenville are relatively small. Like Simpsonville which is about 10 miles south of downtown Greenville, which has a population of only 14,000 people. After living
in a big city for 24 years, and living in a small town in California (Turlock) for
3 years, I want to move to a small rural area. I do not like big cities at all. I feel, and probably rightly, as is also reported in the internet, that autistic people tend to like to live in rural areas because they can get away from the hustle and bustle of the city plus people tend to be more helpful and more caring and compassionate (as another mother who has a son with autism that is older than me pointed out) and more understanding. I know this too, because I lived in Turlock which is a smaller town.
And when you are autistic, you need help and people to look after you. And to be understanding, compassionate, etc

I have an interest particularly in Simpsonville, in an area called Dunwoody Oaks. The
houses there cost about $120,000-130,000 but it's like living out in the countryside
or in the boondocks, in all seriousness, according to what I have read. I love cute
little ranch style homes with bay windows, and you can find that in that community.
I've thought about other places like Charlotte or near Atlanta, as I mentioned, but
Greenville really takes the cake as being the best place to live. A realtor told me
that he has lived all over the United States and has been to California, and he said no matter what, he always ends up coming back to South Carolina.

Thing I wanted to ask: are any of you people from Greenville, South Carolina??
If you are, I would really love to meet you and get to know you. Anywhere from
Spartanburg to Greenville. And I hate California!! I can't stand it here. All the
Beach Boys songs about California, they weren't talking about Monterey or
Santa Cruz, they were talking about Santa Monica or Malibu or somewhere near
Los Angeles. The house prices here are ridiculous - like 900,000 for a new home.
I will never be able to afford that, EVER. I don't dare to even dream that I ever
will be able to. But in South Carolina, at least I have a chance.

Most of all, as far as this board is concerned right now, I want to connect with Asperger Syndrome people or people with high functioning autism that live in the Upstate
of South Carolina, or around Greenville-Spartanburg, that is. It's important to have
a support group.

You can email me at [email protected]

Take care

Best regards,
Preston (a Californian who wants to move to South Carolina)

Last edited by Geowhizkid26 on 13 Nov 2006, 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 4:48 am

Those places you mentioned all sound like nice places. I have been to Chattanooga and Knoxville, Tennessee, and I was very impressed with both of those places.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

tdbrown82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Nov 2006, 11:14 am

My brother lives in Moore, SC.